Thread: Z8 Inspection and Purchase Service...

Post Z8 Inspection and Purchase Service...

I'm putting my many years of passion and love of the Z8 to work to support the website by offering a complete Z8 inspection, purchase and/or sale service owners and would be owners.

If you have a car to sell, or wish to buy, or have inspected please contact me directly at 323 620 6565 or email me here.

If you are a buyer, and the car you wat inspected is not one I am representing, the fee is $1500 for a full inspection with a photographic report, plus any travel expenses. I am based in LA, but will travel to inspect so long as my expenses are covered along with the inspection fee. You will get a comprehensive photographic report of the car you are considering, covering all points of its condition with special attention given to all the known areas of concern. The cars I am representing will already have a full report done on them, so you know exactly what you're buying.

If you are a seller I ask that you have me complete a detailed inspection report, which is $1500 and should be paid up front, so that I can properly represent the car. The inspection fee will then be discounted from the 3% fee I charge for connecting you to a buyer and completing the transaction. If you want me to place the car on EBay, Hemmings, Dupont and Robb Report that is an extra $250.00 up front. I am happy to sell cars without an inspection too, but I believe it is a better deal for everyone if the car being sold comes with a full report.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Great idea Andrew, you know about all there is to know, and a photographers eye for detail to boot! Not to mention all the various Z8s you've owned, and all the unique-to-Z8 issues you've seen along the way.

Thanks, hopefully word of mouth will spread, and we can make the site a one stop shop for all Z8'ing.
    Andrew Macpherson

It could be tasteful... Not like an ad, just an easy, top-level link to the thread or info. Etc.

This version VBB software we're using to run the forum is pretty limited, but Mark is on the case of tracking down some really good software guys to do some serious updating, and when that happens we'll be able to integrate something like that.
    Andrew Macpherson

This is great news for potential Z8 buyers. As car and part prices continue to rise, it will be more important than ever to have a thorough PPI. Given Andrew's knowledge and stewardship of the Z8 I cannot think of a better inspector for the job.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Nice Andrew!

Thanks Andrew

A valuable service, complimenting the support and info we all get from our other knowledgeable members and fellow supporters. Good luck.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Also great news for potential European Z8 buyers! You could do an initial survey for them before they come over to the US
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Rock on Andrew. No one knows more about Z8s than you do.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Wonderful idea, Andrew. Your knowledge is worth a lot. Best of luck!
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Great news for everyone.

I'll need your service soon, I hope.
    62050 - Z8

Tony, it'll be great to see you back in a Z8 again!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Andrew,
    I'm more excited for us then I am for you. I'm considering a 2nd Z8 making one of them a daily driver. I could not think of a more knowledgeable person to help me make that purchasing decision.

Pandaman

Congrats, Andrew! You have organized this board as the authority on these cars, and throughout the years must have seen or discussed just about every potential problem. You are one of the few who can do a proper evaluation for a potential Z8 purchase.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

I'm happy to report that I've recently completed two more inspections, helping owners sell and their Z8's find loving new owners.

Also based on prices I've been observing there's now quite a gap developing between drivers and garage queens. A mint low miles Topaz or Stratus car will sell for well north of $150k, while a Silver-Black with over say 20k miles will have a hard time breaking into the $120's.

The Black-Black on EBay listed at $230k is unlikely to sell at anything like that price in my opinion, but I do think that within a year we'll see anything with under 5k miles and a rare color combo break into the 200's.

As always I have buyers with specific needs, so if anyone is considering selling, please do contact me directly.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Very nice Andrew!

Sport Button On
    Hi Andrew

If I was looking to buy a Z8 from the USA, would you be able to report and advise re shipping
    Thanks

Yes, absolutely, I have one car preparing to leave to Switzerland right now.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm happy to report that I've managed to place several cars this year already, with another deal finalized today. I do not change a commission, and offer this service gratis to our enthusiasts in the hope they'll support our site and community. I do however charge for the inspections as these take quite a lot of time.

If you know anyone who is looking or selling please do let me know.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'd like to add a word of gratitude and praise for both this service offering to match Z8 owners with Z8 purchasers and the website as a whole. I have been involved in the Z8 community for well over a decade and have known Andrew personally for much of this time. His integrity, knowledge about the Z8, and his passion for the owner community is unsurpassed and has served as a driving force for the car's desirability and value. He has recently introduced a Z8 enthusiast to me who just purchased my Silver/Red after my 10 years of ownership. I am currently "Z8-less", but hope to be back in the owners group again shortly with a new and exciting color combination.

Z8Mania
    Ken, you will be missed. I hope you are moving on to even better things. Best wishes to you.

Thanks, Jerry. There isn't much better than this group and of course the Z8, so I won't wander too far.

I'm thinking stratus? See you back in the fold soon!

I live in Switzerland and had considered buying a Z8 for a while. Given the price differential and depth in market, I started looking for a car in the US. During my research I joined this forum and used all the good info you guys have posted and collected over the years to get familiar with all the things I needed to know about the Z8. I also got connected with Andrew.

In February 2014 Andrew introduced me to a forum member who was selling a Stratus/Crema with 7,300miles. This was by far my favorite color combo and there is no way I would have found one without his assistance. I asked Andrew to conduct the inspection for me and in less than a week, he emailed me a detailed report and tons of pictures. We also spent time on the phone discussing the car in details. I was very nervous about spending that kind of money long distance but with Andrew's help I closed the deal. With all the pictures and the report in hand it almost felt like I had seen the car in person.

After lots of research, I choose Schumacher Cargo Logistics to ship the car to Europe, by itself in a 20ft container. My contact there was Wendy Gomez (+1 (562) 408-6677 Ext. 206), she gave me a very competitive quote and was very helpful in coordinating the paperwork and the delivery with my seller. I would also highly recommend her to anyone considering shipping a car to Europe. Lastly, I used escrow.com for the payment and agreed to release the money once the car had cleared customs and was loaded on the ship, their service was also excellent.

It took 5 weeks for the car to arrive in Basel Switzerland. The delivery report and pictures I received by email confirmed it did not sustain any damage in transport. The car was then trucked to a local BMW/Alpina dealer who handled the Swiss homologation for me. He was well connected with the folks at the local inspection station and other than a noise test he had to get done I got away with virtually no changes to the car other than reprogramming the lights. I am told this is the luck of the draw as depending on who is inspecting the car the outcome can be dramatically different.

When the car arrived at the Alpina dealership I had owned it for nearly two months without seeing it which was a nerve wracking experience. The report I got was that other than the annoying issue many of us have with the stitching around the soft top window, the car was absolutely perfect, both cosmetically and technically. This was also excellent news as I had chosen not the get the engine and drivetrain checked by a BMW dealer prior to closing the deal. When I finally picked up the car at the dealership in sat proudly in the middle of the showroom along with a number of beautiful Alpinas. It was just like buying it new.

Thanks to Andrew, I am now the proud and happy owner of a pristine Stratus/Crema Z8. Needless to say, if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely do it with Andrew as well as the other folks I mentioned in this note. I hope this feedback helps others prospective long distance buyers, it is a long and arduous process but with the right people involved, it can be done!

Congratulations Bruno with this very nice car! Maybe we will meet somewhere on europeans roads!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thank you Bruno for sharing your experiences because it helps me to understand the processes required to bring a car into Switzerland.

Congratulations on your purchase! Stratus/crema is a rare and beautiful combination on a Z8.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Bruno, Congratulations on your new prize and that is some very high praise for Andrew! Well done by everyone!

Thanks Bruno, so happy that the car arrived safe and sound.

I know we're all looking forward to sharing the joys of ownership through your pictures and stories of drives in the Alps.
    Andrew Macpherson

Today another Z8 began the journey to her new home through the board.

Marty found 60452, an absolutely gorgeous Black/Crema-Black '01 in really well cared for condition, with rather attractive aftermarket 19" rims, bluetooth, satellite radio, built in radar detector. I did the initial inspection at the shop for my buyer, and was suitably impressed. Having given 60452 the thumbs up, today I went down to take some pictures as she was trucked back to her old home to pick up her hardtop, and depart for her new abode. Eddie, congratulations, you have a really gorgeous car headed your way!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It is a lovely 10,000 mile car. It is currently sitting in my garage waiting for the truck to show up to ship it to Texas.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

760 wheels?
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

Blown away...

Huge thanks!

Andrew, Marty; you guys have been incredible to work with.

Not only were you able to locate a wonderful black/ creama-black car; the level of knowledge, professionalism, communication and thoroughness has been by far the best car locating/inspecting/purchasing experience I've ever had.

I've purchased many exotics over the years, all with PPI's performed and I've never had this level of over-the-top service. Every single day since the car was located, I've received emails, texts, phone calls, pictures and FedEx activity. Transportation was even arranged to have the Z8 shipped to it's new home in Texas.

It feels like I know you guys personally and greater, have gained new friends.

I look forward to seeing the car when it arrives and I sincerely look forward to meeting you guys in person at some point.

I highly recommend these two professionals; they keep you in good hands.

Eddie

Hi Andrew,

Need your service for pre purchase inspection, are you available?
    Please advise. Cheers Peter

Hi Andrew,
    Did you receive my email requesting your service for pre-purchase inspection on a Z8?
    Please advise. Cheers Peter Koh

Good morning Peter, just getting this now, be happy to help.
    Andrew Macpherson

Happy to say that Peter found a gorgeous Alpina which I inspected, and it is now at Peter Pan BMW getting prepared for the journey to Australia.

I have also updated my terms of service for inspections, sales and fees, all of which are outlined in the lead post here.
    Andrew Macpherson

People ask me how frequent it is to see cars that show significant signs of damage in the inspections. Well, in the last week I have inspected two cars for overseas buyers, one an 01 Z8, the other an 03 Apina, and both had badly deformed shock tower crowns among a litany of other issues which, in my estimation, would have opened the potential owners up to costs in excess of $75,000 to return to factory specifications.

These two cars both looked very pretty in their sellers pictures, but turned out to be a very expensive propositions. It really is a case of buyer beware without doing a close and detailed inspection of these now fifteen year old cars.

Andrew Macpherson

Thank you Andrew. Could you please post a side by side of good vs bad? From similar angles please? Those foreign buyers were luck to have engaged you! Really dodged a bullet!

Z8 Novice
    I was one of the potential overseas buyers and Andrew inspected the black Alpina for me (the one shown on the pictures above). And I have to say thank you to Andrew. I was not aware of the shock tower crown matter and would not have looked into this if I had inspected the car myself. The whole process was super quick and pleasant as well. So I can highly recommend the service that Andrew is offering and I hope to find a nice Z8 that I can ask Andrew to inspect for me again in the near future...

Ian, I just grabbed this from the original post in the Frame Forum here

Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew!

Team Z8
    I wonder, with the addition of the "Performance Kit" if this type of damage is really relevant (today or five years from now) for anything other then very low mileage collector cars.

Of course, damage is damage, regardless of age, just ask the poor souls from Pompeii!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielH View Post
    I was one of the potential overseas buyers and Andrew inspected the black Alpina for me (the one shown on the pictures above). And I have to say thank you to Andrew. I was not aware of the shock tower crown matter and would not have looked into this if I had inspected the car myself. The whole process was super quick and pleasant as well. So I can highly recommend the service that Andrew is offering and I hope to find a nice Z8 that I can ask Andrew to inspect for me again in the near future...
    Daniel H: That is really a relief and Andrew did a fantastic job here preventing you and others to purchase it!
    Btw this black Alpina was listed on ebay and is still for sale as per the seller's feedback (but no more listed on ebay now). We now all now the number so beware!

Team Z8
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Of course, damage is damage, regardless of age, just ask the poor souls from Pompeii!
    IMHO..."Damage" without an ascertainable effect, (frame flex, wheel alignment, ect.) that's been addressed, resolved and guaranteed by the manufacturer would seem to be a lesser concern for driven cars as time goes on.

Then I now of two cars that are on the market right now that would fit your buyer profile nicely!
    Andrew Macpherson