Thread: maintanance question

maintanance question

I have owned my car since 2008, so almost exactly 5 years. I have been doing annual oil etc and am about to do oil, coolant and brake fluid. When I bought the car we drove 1500 miles around N Michigan...wonderful...and since then I have probably put on 2500 miles in the 4.5 years. The car is not here now but I think mileage is 17500, give or take.
    Anything special to look for given these parameters? Appreciate any feedback from the board.

The things I'm planning on doing this year are the what I call the 'time outs', things that go bad regardless of use, on my 10 year maintenance list are all rubber hoses, MAF's and the O2 sensors. We have a proposed plan over here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

thanks Andrew and nice work Ed, very good info.

ok, here's a question not addressed on the excellent spread sheet Ed prepared.
    How often do you guys change plugs? I believe the owners manual says 8-10 years.

Also, which type plugs are the best? When the cars came out the iridium plugs were not around I think.
    Anyway, what plugs are currently recommended?
    thanks, John

Good question, and I have no idea, I don't even know about iridium plugs!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    ok, here's a question not addressed on the excellent spread sheet Ed prepared.
    How often do you guys change plugs? I believe the owners manual says 8-10 years.

Also, which type plugs are the best? When the cars came out the iridium plugs were not around I think.
    Anyway, what plugs are currently recommended?
    thanks, John
    Great question, I made the leap of faith that the spark plugs would be changed during one of the routine maintenance services cited in the header. If you or anyone else wants to make a proposal we can always insert another line in the table for replacing the NGK BKR 6 EQUP plugs. I can ask the folks at PPBMW as well.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

thanks Ed, would like to hear what they say. Also what kind of plugs? OEM from 2002 is fine for many things but I am assuming plug material may have changed quite a bit. Could be way off though, just don't know.