Thread: Registering in Texas State Inspection problems

Z8 Novice

Registering in Texas State Inspection problems

I have had my Z8 in Michigan for the last 9 years and it is registered and plated there. I have brought the car to Dallas and I cannot get the state inspection. It is a euro model that was federalized in 2001. Any ideas on what to do, considering just keeping the Michigan plates.

I googled, "Texas, inspecting a car with out-of-state registration" and got to a Texas Dept of Public Safety site. Here is what it said:

My Vehicle Inspection certificate from another state is expiring while I am in Texas. What process do I follow to remain compliant?
    You may obtain an inspection certificate by presenting your vehicle for inspection at a local inspection station. Texas has both a safety inspection program and an emissions (I/M) program. If you present your vehicle for inspection in one of the emissions counties it will receive a safety & emissions test. You may request an emission only test if your state only requires an emission inspection.
    Generally, states honor the laws of other states, and there are even reciprocal agreements, where this state honors other states laws as their own.
    Your vehicle does not have to be registered in Texas in order to be inspected; you do, however, have to show proof of financial responsibility.
    My home state requires an emission test
    Emission inspections are only available in counties participating in the emissions (I/M) program: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, El Paso, Travis, and Williamson.

Here is the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...otherState.htm
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

My car came from Georgia when I originally purchased and transferred it to Texas. I don't remember having to do anything above and beyond to get it titled and registered in Texas. There may have been a special emissions review, but it was all pretty clear from the DMV.

Federalized causing issues?
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    My problem is the euro version works on a different something, so it will not register with the Texas inspection computer. I guess what I am asking is can you reprogram the emissions module.

Z8Mania
    Is it the OBDII communication protocol? I wonder what other grey market Z8ers do?

Z8 Novice
    That sounds like that is the problem. How do you reprogram or change that protocol

Z8Mania
    I wish I knew. This is complete conjecture on my part, but is it possible the European cars simply use a different protocol and could it be switched over? I wonder if this is something a BMW dealer could do?

Z8 Novice
    I have googled this and found that the euro version is call EOBD and uses a different code, so I will need to go to a dealership and see what is involved in changing out the module.

Thanks for the help

Z8Mania
    Youre welcome- Im glad you made headway because I was trying the same thing and not getting too far.

Z8Mania
    It seems you and I are on the right track here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...smg-flash.html

Z8Mania
    Im wondering if its no so much converting EOBD to OBDII, but rather something else in the cars electronics (Im thinking ECU) that needs to be switched to know its in the USA.... I think this is something for a dealer maybe BMW NA? Im not sure how willing they would be to help as they didn't import the euro cars.....

http://www.obddiag.net/adapter.html

Texas

I suspect you will need to find a very up-to-date inspection facility, that can read your OBDII unit. It's a bit unique, as are some of the other BMW and European models. Not all smog computers will read it via the hard port.
    I had the same problem with my Audi R8 in Calf and had to go off to a specialized station that had the correct wi-fi type reader.
    Good luck.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)