Thread: The Mulholland photo culture...

The Mulholland photo culture...

Well I guess it had to happen, as the world's #1 hater of HDR, I got HDR'd on last Saturday's doggy beach day drive!

There are now two different photographers stantioned on Mulholland making a buck out of the wheeled (and well heeled) enthusiasts who ply that stretch of pavement at the weekend.

Keen to get a good snap of my new ride I stopped to ask Victoy Jon if he'd grab a couple of snaps of my car. Immediatly he said, "Yes, and I'm doing this thing called HDR, I'll send it to you for free!" and before I could say a word in protest, I was HDR'd!!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Very nice set of (discolored) wheels :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Lovely to see you and the pup, but I'm with you on your disdain for HDR. It can be useful in some situations, but most examples are usually really bad.
    thegunguy

And this one could be one of the worst I've ever seen!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    LOL. I'm kind of with Rifle- I don't hate HDR outright, but most of the time its over done for me. However, there are times I think it can be a useful technique. That said- you and the pup look great as does the car.

Ha! Chrome car anyone?

Well keeping on the subject of the thread, these ones came from the more established Paul of Rock Store Photos.

Andrew Macpherson

And here's Victory Jon's full set, with my own version of HDR just to show it can be none without looking completely crazy - but I still think it looks too electro-wierd.

Andrew Macpherson

And last, but not least, for those of you who remember her, here is my old SL. After eight years of faithful service she saved my life, but lost hers. The damage inflicted was more than State Farm valued her at.

I was going along at 30-35mph when he girl who'd been busy texting at the light suddenly turned right into me. Surviving the accident was really the best advert for getting a newer, younger, fresher version, with gratitude! I didn't know my car had so many airbags. German engineering rocks!

It was really sad going to pick up my belongings from the place cars go to die. This huge scrpayard had over a thousand cars, all destroyed. They get sold off for parts or salvage once the insurance claims are all settled. The scooped her up on a huge fork lift, and carried her through the rows of forgotten but once chrished cars, to unceremoniously dump her in the little 'public area' where owners are brought for that last farewell, to retrieve their 'personals', then the once were pride and joys are whisked away forever.

Andrew Macpherson

Ouch! Touching story ? it's always sad to lose an old friend.

I'll never forget selling my first car, and the pain of seeing it drive away. I had spent a summer restoring it (64 Mercury Comet) with my grandfather. So, it was special for many reasons.

My entry in the HDRs can-be-not-awful contest.

thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Ouch indeed, but the car did its job and thats what its there for.

Rifle, that picture is fantastic and the only place I can pick up a slight bit of HDRness is in the wheels. I like HDR because it can get us more of the DR that we naturally experience- but some people take it to cartoonish levels- and maybe in rare circumstances that's desirable; but I usually don't think so. Your shot is very natural. I like that we don't lose the detail in the car- very easy to do with black- especially shooting right into the sun. Well done!

That is maybe the best example of HDR I've seen yet, it really doesn't look HDR which is the key. Bravo!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Chalk it up to the wonderment of the NEX in-body software...and some experimentation and Lightroom magic.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I call it a great picture!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    That is maybe the best example of HDR I've seen yet, it really doesn't look HDR which is the key. Bravo!!
    agree!

i know it is the best compliment for someone who did special FX/ CGI for a movie to hear someone say: "i didn't know that movie had any CGI!"