Thread: All Fluid Change for Z8

Z8 Novice

All Fluid Change for Z8

I am coming up on time to change all the fluids in my 2001 Z8 with 13,000 miles.

Any recommendations for better fluids?

In particular, what would you recommend for the rear differential Quaife Limited Slip with the 3.64 rear end from the seven series? Red Line must have some type of product for this. Or would the BMW gear oil for the M5 LSD be OK?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Palaestra View Post
    I am coming up on time to change all the fluids in my 2001 Z8 with 13,000 miles.

Any recommendations for better fluids?

In particular, what would you recommend for the rear differential Quaife Limited Slip with the 3.64 rear end from the seven series? Red Line must have some type of product for this. Or would the BMW gear oil for the M5 LSD be OK?

Thx!
    Stick with the BMW Motorsport 10W 60 Motor Oil for the engine. It's the only thing to use...period. You can read all about elsewhere on this site.

For the transmission, I use Red Line MTL. This is what Mike Miller of BMW Roundel fame recommends in his "Old School Maintenance" schedule and what I've been using on my BMWs for several years (decades).

For the diff, I use Red Line 75W 90 gear oil. Again, what Mike Miller recommends and what I've been using on my BMWs for several years (decades).

For the coolant, make sure you stick with the BMW stuff. Anything else will wreak havoc on the aluminium S62 engine.

For brake fluid, I use ATE gold then switch to blue then gold and so on so that I can see when I've changed all the fluid.

For power steering (don't forget this one), I use Red Line ATF.

And while you're at it, don't forget the cabin filters. I posted a write-up on replacing them elsewhere on this site.

Hope this helps.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver