Thread: A sad story

A sad story

The Boston Marathon is one of the gems of our city. It has always been a festive day, as school vacation has started, the Red Sox are playing a day game, the sun shines, and the best runners in the world gather for what is inevitably a remarkable race. It is a joyous celebration that shuts down the city, and 26.2 miles of roads are lined with enthusiastic fans.

Yesterday was no exception. This was my 6th Boston, The weather was perfect for running, the gals at Wellesley College were out in full force, The Sox won, the city was alive. Running this race is a tremendous test of endurance, but is also that one day a year that allows you feel like a rock star and truly enjoy all the city has to offer.

I got to within 1/2 mile of the finish line, close to turning onto Boylston St. and the homestretch, the dream of every runner. Then we were stopped. Total confusion. We didn't hear the bombs, as they had gone off a few minutes earlier, but were immediately swallowed up in the chaos that followed. My friends were going to meet me at the finish line, but there was no way to contact them. (It turns out that they had decided to move around the corner, about 1/4 mile from the finish. All turned out to be fine with all my runner friends and our families, although some had close calls.) It took over an hour to locate them. Many others were not so lucky.

This beautiful day was gone, and may be gone forever, as we know it. The pronouncements that the race will be back next year is certainly true, but will it ever be the same? We want to have that faith, but deep down we know that it will be different. It was a very sad day for Boston and for all of us who can enjoy freedom.

Thank heavens you are ok, and that none of your friends were injured too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by porscheguy View Post
    This beautiful day was gone, and may be gone forever, as we know it.
    Sadly, it is gone as we know it. September 11th 2001 was also a perfect, sunny, crisp day until we witnessed another tragedy that changed our lives forever. It doesn't matter whether it was one crazy person or a large group behind these attacks on society, the effect is the same; everything is different after you live through it. The trick is making the "something different" better in some way. There will now always be a moment of panic when you round a corner to see smoke or a crowd, or hear the TV announce a "special report" in the middle of a program. The lesson I took from witnessing 9-11: savor every moment as it can change in an instant.

Growing up in London with what seemed like the constant IRA bombing, you get used to it, it's the single event that is the most shocking. I was right around the corner when the first one went off High Holborn in 1975. It started a long and bloody campaign waged again the innocent people of England in which one of my friends fathers died. Oddly enough most of the financial backing for the IRA came from Boston.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Glad you are ok.
    At the end of the day the only way terrorist win is if you let them change your life dramatically. 9/11 has changed the way I feel about crowded places, but it does not stop me from going into midtown Manhattan every day. I know many feel that the post 9/11 world has meant an invasion of privacy but personally with nothing to hide I welcome the efforts of the last three administrations to track down the bad guys, even if the good guys loose some privacy.

Z8Mania
    I'm glad you're ok and the perpetrators have been dealt with.

Thanks, guys, for your thoughts. Today the streets of Boston reopened, and life goes on. Things will change, as Ouray accurately points out, but we will do our best not to let it change our outlook and lifestyle.

The attack was very personally felt by Bostonians. It was a comparatively small bombing, but was measured carefully as to time, place, and was very specifically placed. Some of the first respondents personally knew the people they were treating. We all knew someone who knew someone who was badly hurt. The most discomforting feeling was that the surviving bomber was not the face of evil as we would imagine, but a well-liked young man educated in good schools with absolutely no hint of a radical personality. That makes it that much harder to accept and understand.

On the lighter side, the fact that this was my slowest Boston Marathon time yet may have kept me from the danger. Fifteen minutes sooner, which would have been my usual time, would have put me in the middle of it all. And history will not record me as being there, since this year I participated as a "bandit", or non-numbered runner.