Thread: Best restaurants in Austin...

Best restaurants in Austin...

Old Baillie & I are headed to COTA for the F1 in Nov, and want to make sure we know where the very best food in town is. We're not expecting it to better Montreal's magnificent fare, but would love some suggestions for ultimate yumminess from you Lone Star staters.

Since we've rented a house we may also do some cooking, so best wine merchants and best butcher would also be good tips :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I'll work on a list for you and any others that are on the way to Austin. Austin offers a wide range of food choices, and often the "best" food is found in the quirkiest places.
    For starters, the best pork chops and service by far is Perry's downtown, an upscale Manhattan looking restaurant that hits the mark every time. For seafood, there's Truluk's with locations downtown and northwest. BarBQ- unlimited. Downtown there's Brazilian Churrascaria Fogo de Chao, and Estancia a bit south and another a bit north of town. For real Texas BBQ, there are several types of distinct methods and techniques with some involving sauces, and others forbidding them. "County Line on the Hill" is west of the city on a hill overlooking the Hill Country and the Barton Creek Resort. Hardly Manhattan style, this place will bring you back to the fifties but fill your tummy with some of the best and sauciest BBQ around. Further west is the famous Salt Lick in Driftwood, not to be confused with the little storefront in the airport. Here you will sample the sauceless version, smoked to perfection.
    Then there are always the food trucks. Not exactly what you would see at a construction site, these trucks are located in several parks around the city and offer gourmet take out food and desserts.
    Austin hasn't really discovered Chinese food yet, and is a bit behind in Italian too. Depending on where you are, there are some great places for high quality veggies and meats to do your own cooking.
    Where is your house located? Do you have your tickets yet?

Yes, Clive got our tix, and the house is by a place called 'the railyard'. We get in Friday midday, and plan to do general walk about Saturday to see where the best spot for Sunday is. Our tix are for the Paddock Club, so we have somewhere to sit if all else fails :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

The Railyard I know is a condo complex downtown next to the convention center. If that is the area, you are right in the middle of the "action" and can walk to a variety of places, restaurants, and bars/nightlife as well as the bus that will take you to COTA. Even with both an F1 race and a UT Football game on the same day in November (300,000 guests expected), Austin will not present the same traffic problems that you encounter in LA on a regular basis. Last year, delays were at a minimum even if you want to drive out of town to someplace special. And also remember that "downtown" is really only 35 blocks north to south and about 15 "avenues" wide with a major roadway on both sides. We drove the full east to west distance during the peak of SXSW pedestrian and car traffic in about 15 minutes and locals considered that the worst congestion ever seen.
    PM or email me your Austin address and your dining preferences, and I can make up a more complete list for you. Hopefully we can arrange to see each other while you are here. I'll be at COTA Friday -Sunday.

Yes, it is by the convention center downtown, so that's good to know, and for sure we should meet up. Clive has a friend joining from NYC and is taking his daughter too, so I'll ask them what they're prefs are.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    We eat anything as long as it's good.
    I heard These are good places:
    - Uchiko
    - Congress
    - Barley Swine
    There's a great episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation all about Austin, especially the barbecue. Looks delicious.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

I'm intrigued at the sauceless barbi as I really don't like sauce on my meat!
    Andrew Macpherson

Get your taste buds ready for some great meals!
    I'll try to catch Bourdain's episode before completing your food wishlist.
    Anyone else headed this way?

I had good meal with these restaurants when I visited Austin in before.
    Guero's / Tex-Mex
    Hula Hut / Tex-Mex
    La Condesa / Tex-Mex
    Eddie V's / Steak and seafood
    Truluck's / Steak and seafood
    Hut's / Hamburger

Kei

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I, (Erik) will be coming with a surgeon colleague and will be with Ken. We get in on thursday afternoon. Looking forward to a great weekend.