Thread: The other woman: (Cayman: Mods)

The other woman: (Cayman: Mods)

All the talk lately about seats and weight, and Porsches etc, made me want to post this. As you may have read elsewhere on this board, My son and I each purchased a used Cayman S last spring, with the intent to do more track events. Last spring we did wheels and tires, GT3 brake Master Cylinder, rear toe links, motul brake fluid, braided lines and Pagid yellows (pads). For this season, (2 track days coming up later this month), I've continued the process. I was debating on doing coilovers and sway bars next, but opted for seats and harnesses first. I've heard that just those two things decrease lap times by a lot. And, with the regular stock porsche seats, last time at the track, I was really flopping around. The stock suspension looks stupid with all the fender gap, but rides and grips really well. This is also my commuter car. So I spent a massive amount of time searching for race buckets that fit me. Sparco, Recarro, Status, OMP.... Being so tall, I couldn't find anything where the shoulder passthroughs were not too low. I would really love the recent Porsche GT2 folding CF buckets, but they are about $6,000.00 a pair. It turns out, the old 996 GT3 seats just offer enough shoulder height, but, they are about $4,000 a pair... so I got a pair of Knock-offs on the cheap. In CF about $2k. I figure I can upgrade later when I'm feeling rich! At the same time, I ordered a 1/2 cage of sorts... since I am so tall, and it's a small car, I don't have room to spare in seat travel, so I got a version that mounts above the bulk head, rather than all the way to the floor, and at the rear, mounts to the strut towers. While I was at it, I also got GT3 front adjustable lower control arms (to get more neg camber) and a more aggressive alignment (still only about -2 fr & R). I also sent my steering wheel out to be re-wrapped.

OMG what a massive difference! Between all the recent stuff, I am amazed. I am way faster and more confident. because of the hard shell buckets, you feel every motion in the chassis so much better, by a multiple of like 10! Combine that with the new alignment and crazy fun! I'm very happy with the new mods.

Next up, hopefully before fall: LSD, Coilovers and sways, short shift???

What fun, I can't wait for a go when we're all at the track one of these days!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Looks like a lot of fun, enjoy! Was the 1/2 cage a stock item or custom fab?

It's called a "mid level harness bar" by the makers tarett engineering. It's not a real half-cage. It's not a custom fab.

fabulous! have fun with the go faster bits.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Thats fantastic. I love the roll bar and all the mods. You really will feel so much better attuned to the car when you are locked in. However, I don't know if you are using one, but if not, I would like to strongly suggest a HANS device as well. Being so locked down means you risk a really really serious (fatal) neck injury if you ever hit something.

On a lighter note, don't leave anything out of your reach once you are all strapped in.

Btw- the Cayman doesn't have a LSD? I would do some research before you put one in, because in linking the rear tires, you will harm the turn in crispness. How much is the question. Lotus doesn't use LSDs for their cars for this reason. I think it comes down to power- if you have a lot and you find you are constantly spinning the inside rear tire then you probably want one. If not, then you might want to consider the pros and cons. Just talking here. Maybe you already know this stuff. Either way, its all good. Have fun!

PS- I love the Schroth harnesses- IMHO they are the best.

Thanks J. I don't have room for Hans yet... The seat slots are barely high enough as it is. I need to continue looking for other seats. As for LSD, the cayman R has one, so we'll see if traction is an issue or not on track. I used to race formula Mazda and spec racer ford, with arm restraints, so I have learned my lesson about leaving anything out of reach... Almost!

So, I'm driving to the office the other morning and this idiot passes me on a surface street in a white Cayman S. Oh, wait...

All the new bits are really cool. Can't wait to get the track report.
    thegunguy