Thread: Can you test for a Quaife?

Question Can you test for a Quaife?

I'm looking at a Z8 whose owner (#2) claims that owner #1 had a quaife installed along with a UUC clutch, but has no documentation. It leaves two beautiful and even strips of rubber on enthusiastic acceleration- is there any other way to verify a quaife without disassembling something?

I would ask the seller who installed the parts for #1 and check with them.

Do you have a VIN for the car, as that might well help uncover it's history too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    The two stripes on straight line "burnouts" are a good clue that it indeed has a Quaife, but a gentler test would be to go around a very slow, 90 degree corner in first gear, and before getting straightened out hit the gas hard--the stock diff will light up the inside tire and you will not really accelerate, just spin. The Quaife will hook up both tires and you will rocket out of the turn much faster.

Stock diff leaves dual stipes too.

To my knowledge, no one has fully explained this phenomenon (possible ETC, possible viscous coupling?).

I read somewhere recently on a method of testing for a LSD while on a lift, but I cannot fully remember the procedure. May be something like holding one wheel steady while turning the other. I think an LSD may break free. I could have this reversed - again, my memory is rusty.

The previously suggested acceleration in a curve test should give you some idea. I can break the back out at will with the stock diff.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    I originally became suspicious about the stock diff not being an LSD (several years ago) when I did a fast acceleration from a standing start and only left one black stripe in both first and second gears. I also noticed the corners where only the inside tire would spin. I tested a fast start on wet, soapy pavement and got both tires to spin. So the stock diff sometimes allows only 1 tire to spin, and sometimes spins both tires, depending on probably a bunch of relative conditions. But the Quaife never allows only 1 tire to spin, unless a tire is completely off the ground such as hitting a curbing strip at a racetrack hard and bouncing up off it. So if you ever have a situation where only 1 tire spins on you, be it a straight line burnout or accelerating hard out of a slow corner, you have the stock diff.

Testing for an LSD

There seems to be some confusion as to how to tell if your Z8 or Alpina has a Limited Slip Differential or not.

To begin with, you cannot make a determination based on wheelspin during straight line acceleration. If the weight on each rear wheel is equal and each tire achieves equal traction, a car with an open differential will show virtually the same behaviour as one with a LSD. I have an extensive collection of road test articles on the Z8 and many of them show pictures of the cars with smoke billowing out from under both wheelwells during standing starts. I even have some which show 2 equal length, parallel, black tire marks left behind after an aggressive standing start. I am convinced these cars did not have LSD.

The difference betweeen a car with LSD and one with an open differential would only show up when the weight and traction were different for each rear wheel. The most common circumstance where this difference exists is during cornering. The outside tire is much more heavily weighted than the inside tire and if power is applied, an open differential will send most of that power to the unweighted inside wheel, causing it to spin due to a lack of traction. Many of you have experienced this phenomenon in your Z8s. A good LSD would do the opposite.

An easy way to determine if your car has a LSD is to raise one rear wheel off the ground and with the transmission in neutral, spin the raised wheel with your hand. If it spins freely, you most likely have an open differential. If you feel resistance, you probably have a LSD. Another test is to lift both rear wheels off the ground, put the transmission in gear, and turn one of the wheels by hand. If the one on the other side rotates in the opposite direction, you most likely have an open differential. If they rotate in the same direction, you most likely have a LSD.

I say "most likely" because there are all kinds of LSDs out there and each one has a different level of "lock" and uses a different method of locking the two wheels together. In some cases, you could overcome the lock connection and get open differential behaviour. However, in most cases, the above described technique will give you an accurate assessment.

special thanks to Grease Monkey for sending in this info.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Mac..I don't recall. Are mods of this type something we are going to track in the new database? If not, I think we should.

(just an aside...now back to my regularly scheduled scotch)

Yes indeed......

but as this is my first database I'm not sure how the info will appear as yet.

I'm thinking of making the db 'open' (like Wikipedia) to any of our board members, so any of us can update any of the info in there. The one info check will be entering VIN twice to check it is correct. IE: if car #60123 sells this year on Autotrader, and I log it there, but in 18 months itsell on to a board member, he can then just jump in and put in all his details. It will also mean if members can enter info for any cars they find/see locally, or if they just want to help out logging stuff in from AutoTrader or EBay.

Thoughts, suggestions etc are most welcome.
    Andrew Macpherson

Might this present any problems?

If we find a car sold (or sell a car, God forbid) to a non "club" party, what if they don't wish to be public about their ownership? We all share and post our information willingly. We of course, want to know where every car is, who owns it, and what it's history is, but what if they don't want to be "tracked"? And, if we all have unlimited access to the DB, what's to stop someone from entering false information, or deleting info re: any accidents/tech problems or other vital parts of the cars history?

Quite an udertaking indeed! I'm sure it will all work itself out. I think that the DB is a great idea, and will serve us all well as the years unfold. It may proove to be a monumental task though. Thanks you, and let me know if I can help.

Ian

Test for Quaife = Skid Pad

...at least this is the most fun test.
    thegunguy

So it's OK to tell the salesman "Lets take it for a testdrive, hose down your parking lot"!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    but as this is my first database I'm not sure how the info will appear as yet.

I'm thinking of making the db 'open' (like Wikipedia) to any of our board members, so any of us can update any of the info in there. The one info check will be entering VIN twice to check it is correct. IE: if car #60123 sells this year on Autotrader, and I log it there, but in 18 months itsell on to a board member, he can then just jump in and put in all his details. It will also mean if members can enter info for any cars they find/see locally, or if they just want to help out logging stuff in from AutoTrader or EBay.

Thoughts, suggestions etc are most welcome.
    I'm not sure if it has already been discussed or suggested, but I think tracking totaled and flood damaged Z8's in the database would be of immense value.

I read an article in this month's Car and Driver that told of the approximately half-million cars that were ruined as a result of Hurricane Katrina's floodwater. The director of communications at Carfax is quoted as saying, "From past experience, after every major hurricane, we see approximately 50% of the damaged or flooded cars back on the market as whole units." I'm not overly concerned with the Z8 owner/enthusiast. My concern would be the loss of visibility of that vehicle once the insurance companies dispose of the car to the auto wholesalers and used car dealerships.

Carfax is making flood information available to consumers free of charge at www.carfax.com/flood. The National Insurance Crime Bureau has set up a special search engine at www.nicb.org to determine if a VIN matches any of the hundreds of thousands of VINs collected from cars in the disaster zone.

Hopefully a thorough PPI would catch any signs of flood damage, but I would sure like to know which, if any, Z8's were affected by that, or any other, disaster before I start shopping next spring.

Merry Christmas,
    nitmr26
    speed is life