Thread: New Tires Overdue

Z8 Happy

New Tires Overdue

So after being scolded yesterday about new tires on our Sunday drive, I think I've decided on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer for the Alpina. Tirerack rates them a little better than the Pirelli PZero plus a couple hundred bucks cheaper doesn't hurt...

I'm opening the discussion for any comments!

Thanks!
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

Z8Mania
    IMHO as a general rule Michelin >>> Pirelli.

I think they feel better and also are much more consistent in terms of road force irregularities.

Better and cheaper can't be bad!!

I love the way the Pirelli's fill up the wheel well on the 20" rims, but I doubt on the road we ever get close to asking 70% of what either tire can do.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    The problems with most Pirellis: their QC isnt as good as Michelin- though they are very good compared to others- so sometimes you get a tire that has tremendous road force in it- I've had to send several tires back to Pirelli now with over 100 lbs of road force! Also, just a personal preference thing, most of their tires feel like they are rolling on the pavement as opposed to the digging into it sensation I get with the Michelins. JMHO.

What's QC?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Alpina and I loved them !!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

QC = Quality Control.

I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Alpina and think they are great. Much improved over the Michelin PS2 that the car came equipped with.

Team Z8
    OK, on a related front. For various reasons I have only put 1500 miles on my car in the last 5 years. I had changed from the original run flats to SO3's that were popular at the time. The car is in climate controlled garage year round and tires look new without evidence of drying or cracks. Shoul they be replaced?

Z8Mania
    The reason the MPSS is so much better than PS2 is because they literally feature a decade newer technology. IMHO no one else has as good a max performance summer tire.

IMHO 5 year old tires with not too many miles which really means not too many heat cycles in such a setup as yours means you could probably get a few more years out of them. Be careful to look at the insides of the tires also when looking for discoloration and cracking. I think you could probably go to 8 years before new tires but also it depends on how hard you drive. If you putt around and that's about it or if you "drive it like you stole it". If its the latter I'd say change those tires in the next year or two because why take a chance.

Z8 Happy
    All comments appreciated! Looks like TireRack is getting an order for some French Rubber
    AKA Mark from SoCal

Original Owner

Z8Mania

Z8 Happy
    After 500 miles, I can state without question those MPSS are excellent. I'm checking to see if I can get a set for the 5 Series too.
    Excellent grip, low noise and great road feel.
    AKA Mark from SoCal

Original Owner

Z8Mania
    They are the best street tire I've ever experienced. I love them too.

I've had the PSS on my cayman s for a year now. On the street they seem to do very well. I have also tracked them. One track day last year, when they were new, then about 6000 street miles, and last week two more track days. And I think they are only 1/3 done! That being said, I had a hard time hanging with all my friends at the track running stickies (r compounds etc). They get very slippery after some hard flogging ( as any woman should?) and they make a lot of noise too : ). Which I like.... I wanted to get a good feel for what the car wanted to do at the limit, and a street tire is a good way to find out. So I drove the wheels off it for two days... Tons of tread left! My friend on the Pirelli trofeos, said he gets 3 track days out of a set! I was only about 2 seconds off his time (yeah, it's a lot) but my tires will go another 10 track days or 7,000 mi at least! Maybe both. The wear is amazing, considering the grip. Highly recommended.

Z8Mania
    Fantastic report. That's what I've heard as well. They take all the PS2 goodness and then go beyond and last longer too! That's progress!

Z8Mania
    I just replaced the worn out MPS2 on my 599 with MPSS. The MPSS are so good I am honestly shocked at the improvements!

1- Improved Grip. Holy cow- I used to be able to spin the tires in gears 1,2 and 3. Now I can get them to chirp in 1st but then they hook up and its off to the races. This alone would be worth it. Another grip benefit, which is perfectly logical but it may not register in one's mind is vastly improved braking and brake feel. Again I expected an improvement, but the amount of improvement is surprising. And I thought/ still do think the PS2 are great tires.

2- Improved ride quality. My suspension honestly feels like a more refined version of itself- or put another way, I had it in its stiffest setting and I thought to myself I was in the medium setting- the absorption of little road imperfections has improved that much and this is on low profile tires. I truly cannot believe the improvement here.

I can't speak to longevity yet but I really didn't think street tires would be get much better than PS2. They just did.