Thread: front license plate

Sport Button On

front license plate

Just got my plates today. Maryland requires a front plate be displayed ( i guess so that an imprint of the number can be read off of the backside of anyone you hit). Putting a front plate on a Z8 is like putting a wart on Meg Ryan's nose. Are there any work arounds?

thanks

We mostly just don't do it here in CA, but I've always thought we should make some sort of 'slide in - slide out' plate holder on an L bracket solid that could clip into a solid mounting tucked behind the lower grille.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I'm so glad I we don't need front plates here in PA.

I have seen some work arounds over at Ferrarichat.com

Regards,

Phil
    61115 Topaz/crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    I'm also in MD. I've had my Z8 since 2005 with no problem so far. I'm considering the following as an option that's easily removable and won't mess up the beautiful front end: http://stores.promountequipment.com/...-Z8/Detail.bok This is a front license plate holder that fits the front tow fitting (see page 146 in your Owner's Manual). BTW there are several of us in the DC Metro area and we'd like to get together for some drives like the CA group does. Would you be interested?
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

True story

Fred, a colleague of mine with quite a wicked humor was stopped in Iowa for not having a license plate on the front of his car. The officer stated: Sir, you do not have a license plate on the front - did you not receive two plates from the DMV? My friend responded: "Yes, I did, however, I have two cars". This not go over too well with the police officer...

This truly is a true story.

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8Mania
    LMAO.

You could just put the plate in the trunk and tell the officer the car is a collectable car now and the part for the front mount is on order. The front mount can be put on without drilling holes. I mounted it to the lower grill in the front.

Skip, that's a great story, made me laugh, thanks!!

Doug, thanks for the link, that's a great piece, for sure I'll get one if I ever get a 'fix it ticket'.
    Andrew Macpherson

I have mine mounted to the lower grill. Passed inspection in Switzerland twice like this. Of course, may not translate to Maryland.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

It is a non moving violation....won't put points on your record.

Consider any ticket a tax for not putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa,

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

As a California resident, I recently picked up another car (997TT cab) through a dealership and I remember signing some new form stating I would maintain a front license plate. I haven't got around to complying with this requirement, and I now have Doug's site bookmarked for the day when I'm presented with a "fix it" ticket. I've never been challenged about not having a font license plate in CA, but local governments in the Bay Area are all seeking new revenue generating opportunities.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    governments are all seeking new revenue generating opportunities.
    Exactly, And front plates enhance photo revenue immensely.
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    I dont have front plates on my Ferrari and I (so far) have managed to get away with it- even one time there was a check point for seatbelts and inspections and the officer remarked I didnt have a front plate and I told him the factory was sending me the mount and that seemed good enough for them. But yes they are looking for money. As for revenue, believe me, they would much rather get you for speeding. There are all kinds of extra charges associated with speeding these days.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Jerry / Zmates,
    Do either of you have a picture of the mount on the lower grill? How is it secured? With a flat washer & nut (wing nut?) behind the grill?
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    try [email protected] for a holder that fits into the tow screw. after $180 fine i did it

I was pulled over once entering the Holland Tunnel in NYC on my way out of NY by what looked to be one very angry Port Authority Police Officer. He yelled at me to pull out of line right at the entrance. When he approached the car he told me that he saw me enter the tunnel the previous week and he had wanted to pull me over at that time. I did notice him looking at me but he was busy yelling at four young guys in a BMW 3 series. Long story short, I thought he was pulling me over for not having the front plate on the car, (I do have it in the glove compartment and carry the mount in the trunk in it's original box) but what he really wanted to know was what type of car I was driving as he had never seen one before! He turned out to be extremely nice and kept me talking about the car for 10 minutes!

Bottom line the car looks too nice with out the plate, and lousy with it on so I will continue to play the odds by keeping it in the glove box.

Z8Mania
    Doug we did it way back in 2000- I will have to look for pictures- I cant seem to find anything easily. My cars up on the lift for winter time- maybe I can get out to it with my camera and take you some shots.

I will happily pay the occasional $180 fine to not put one on my car.

Just another Tax.
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On

front mount

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolan View Post
    I'm also in MD. I've had my Z8 since 2005 with no problem so far. I'm considering the following as an option that's easily removable and won't mess up the beautiful front end: http://stores.promountequipment.com/...-Z8/Detail.bok This is a front license plate holder that fits the front tow fitting (see page 146 in your Owner's Manual). BTW there are several of us in the DC Metro area and we'd like to get together for some drives like the CA group does. Would you be interested?
    Thanks for the tip. I would love to connect with some z8 owners in the capital area. come spring time, a drive would be in order.

Sport Button On
    I use the promount product...on for inspection....off the next day....its an annual april ritual...won't get you pass an overly zealous cop the rest of the year...but does get past an overly anal inspector, once a year...

Just keep it behind the pass seat and tell officer it causes it to overheat when on.
    jim

Z8Mania
    Great idea- but I say keep the plate in the trunk- you don't want that loose if someone hits you.

I am looking into using rare earth magnets to fashion some kind of strip for the plates and one behind the lower grill or bumper.... I wish I were more handy. There are some folks who have YouTubes posted of their magnet workarounds, but I haven't seen one on a z8 yet. Up here in SF, they decided that the parking meter people are going to raise some more revenue with a $100 no plate ticket.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

I never leave my Z8 on the street, so that isn't really a bother for me.
    Andrew Macpherson

You're right and I don't park mine on the street either. I have to figure this out for my 650 and my gf's car so I'm going to do 'em all. If I figure out something useful with the magnets, I'll post.

It could be a great idea, though I always liked the idea of a slide in-slide out solution with something hidden behind the lower grilles.
    Andrew Macpherson

Slide out you say? Somebody thought of that one....with a remote no less! (there's also a manual one)
    http://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-Licens...=pd_sim_auto_3

Sport Button On

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gregesq View Post
    I am looking into using rare earth magnets to fashion some kind of strip for the plates and one behind the lower grill or bumper.... I wish I were more handy. There are some folks who have YouTubes posted of their magnet workarounds, but I haven't seen one on a z8 yet. Up here in SF, they decided that the parking meter people are going to raise some more revenue with a $100 no plate ticket.
    your post was scaring the bejeezus out of me:

1) what kind of left wing communists would want to steal $100 off of you every time they see your car without a number on the front? Wouldn't it be better to vote those guys out than design a fancy plate holder?

2) How can you park a $100,000 car on the street? I couldn't even consider it in Baltimore unless the car was surrounded by barking dogs and razor wire. If I did, the magnetic plate would be gone in a new york minute and somebody would be selling the rare earth magnets

I remember someone on roadfly made a vinyl sticker in the exact form and format of the state plate and put it on the nose just above the valance.

don't recall if it was successful
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    I'm certain that is illegal.

As to parking the Z8 on the street- there are some nice areas that you can do it. And as to the fine- believe me Im against that- but if they can get you for not having an up to date registration or emissions inspection sticker, they probably can get you on that too. How about all the surcharges you get on certain tickets. A $100 ticket can end up costing many times that. Where's the notion of proportionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Where's the notion of proportionality?

You mean like in Finland and Switzerland where the cost of your ticket is proportional to your income?

2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    No- not that kind of proportionality! I mean wheres it going the other way- you get a speeding fine for say $100 - obviously the government, our elected representatives- has decided that is the level of the offense. Then they slap on $500 or so in extra surcharges- thus going against the will of the people by making the offense actually quite a bit more severe.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I will happily pay the occasional $180 fine to not put one on my car.

Just another Tax.
    in CA it's a $25 fixit ticket - that's what i paid (unless it went up dramatically in the last year or so)