Thread: Finally - Perf Pkg Installed

Finally - Perf Pkg Installed

Got my Perf Pkg installed this weekend, after about a two month wait for my BMW tech (my son) to have time to do it. He and a fellow tech, who trained under Matt at Peter Pan, got it all installed in about 4 hours at their shop. At least the price was right!

But....I had them check a CEL while there and the codes showed that at least one of the cam position sensors was bad. With about 20k miles on the car, I'm buying all four sensors for replacement. Also still contemplating a muffler upgrade.

I guess the upkeep work never ends.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Z8Mania
    Congratulations. Thats true. How do you think the drive compares with the package installed?

If your son's friend is Trevor, he worked on my car at PP BMW and he also remembered it from his time at BMW of SD. Looking through a 10+ year old car lens, I've been pleasantly surprised with the reliability of the Z8.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Per Pkg

Yep, Trevor helped. (lead, supervised and taught) Really nice guy and very careful about his measurements and work. Back at BMW of SD and they both came in on a Saturday to help me out. Great to find tech's who love what they do and are professional about it.
    Now they and their lead in-house Dinan tech are all trying to talk me into a Dinan S2 full package, mufflers, sway bars and more. It never ends.
    StuM
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Now they and their lead in-house Dinan tech are all trying to talk me into a Dinan S2 full package, mufflers, sway bars and more. It never ends.
    I say do it!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Uh Oh

Uh Oh, now I have a devil on one shoulder (Andrew) and an angel on the other (my wife). Both whispering do it, don't you dare do it, re the full Dinan Z8 upgrades plus sway bars, mufflers, etc. It's just like the old scene from Animal House :-)
    StuM
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Quote Originally Posted by StuM View Post
    Uh Oh, now I have a devil on one shoulder (Andrew) and an angel on the other (my wife). Both whispering do it, don't you dare do it, re the full Dinan Z8 upgrades plus sway bars, mufflers, etc. It's just like the old scene from Animal House :-)
    You know what they say: "Happy wife, happy life"

Thanks for confirming my hunch about Trevor. When I asked about him working on my car last year at PP BMW, Matt told me he returned to SD.
    My Best,

Ed

What exactly is entailed in the performance package? Does it impact the feel of the drive well?

I really doesn't alter the feel of the car, it just offers protection to the aluminum shock towers and domes.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I really doesn't alter the feel of the car, it just offers protection to the aluminum shock towers and domes.
    I just went and read through the forums about the doming issue, which I was unaware of. Yikes! I'll have to check and see what the damage may have been to this car, which I assume has probably happened since it's got 65,000 miles on it.

It sounds like this "performance package" is imperative to install, and should probably be named something more in line for what it is so people are aware of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by otomo View Post
    I just went and read through the forums about the doming issue, which I was unaware of. Yikes! I'll have to check and see what the damage may have been to this car, which I assume has probably happened since it's got 65,000 miles on it.

It sounds like this "performance package" is imperative to install, and should probably be named something more in line for what it is so people are aware of the issue.
    Don't panic - I just installed mine not too long a go with 80K plus miles and I am good.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by otomo View Post

I wouldn't assume damage to the towers either unless the front tires had a forceful impact (i.e., significant pothole). I would highly recommend crossing the bay to have the PP install by Peter Pan BMW. If you're a frequent traveler PPBMW is right near SFO, and I used a weeklong trip to Europe to have them perform the PP install then pick up the car on my return.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    I wouldn't assume damage to the towers either unless the front tires had a forceful impact (i.e., significant pothole). I would highly recommend crossing the bay to have the PP install by Peter Pan BMW. If you're a frequent traveler PPBMW is right near SFO, and I used a weeklong trip to Europe to have them perform the PP install then pick up the car on my return.
    It's hard for me to get out on the other side of the bay, though obviously I've read a lot of good things about Peter Pan on here.

My family have used Kahler's German Auto in Dublin for nearly every car we've owned for the past 10 years and I think they do solid work. I know they read this forum frequently as well since they've seen this Z8 a few times.

Sounds like you have a solid and reputable shop to help you maintain your Z8. My comment was more about the experience of PPBMW in performing the PP install, which I've read can be tricky due to the tight tolerances of mounting the brace.

I work less than 10 minutes from PPBMW so for me it is also convenient.
    My Best,

Ed

I wouldn't let anyone other than a high-reputation BMW Service Center install the PP, for one GIANT reason:
    1) BMW NA/AG are likely to back up the installation should something go wrong

Beyond that, the future value of individual cars will often be determined by how they are cared for and by whom. Apples to apples, a future buyer could easily pass on a car with the PP installed by an independent vs. a BMW tech. It's not about skill. It's about insurance.

I drive form Livermore to Peter Pan to have my BMW serviced several times a year. To deal with Matt and a shop that usually has at least two other Z8s in service. It's worth the time and distance. Heck, many here drive from LA and beyond.
    thegunguy

Well the guys scared me enough about the issues pre-PP that I had the PP installed this week, warned them about the clearances in advance. With a competent mechanic, knowing what to look for is half the battle in terms of making sure there's no errors. It was installed with no problems, and I'm really pleased to notice the handling increase as an added bonus. Also took out my clutch delay valve in the process so it's a happy car weekend!

Bravo, both very good upgrades, next is good step is some stiffer swaybars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Very cool! PP is paramount... CDV removal is nice, better feel and clutch life!

This is the first I have heard about a CDV removal. Can someone give me a primer of the pros and cons? Thanks.

You can search the site for more, but here's the basic.
    The CDV was put there to protect the driveline from abrupt engagement (as near as we can figure). It restricts the fluid flow on clutch release to ease the engagement. The problem is, if you are aggressive, under heavy throttle, the clutch will slip... Perhaps even under normal use, a little bit every shift. This seems to be linked to premature clutch wear. Just do it.

Thanks and yes, plenty more info on the site. None of the records from the car show that this has been done, so I will assume it hasn't. It's on my short list!

Z8Mania
    You don't buy a sports car because you simply want A-B transport. Well the CDV is an insidious device dreamed up by the bean counters of the world. It would be fine if it were in a prius or something but not in a sports car.........

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by StuM View Post
    Got my Perf Pkg installed this weekend, after about a two month wait for my BMW tech (my son) to have time to do it. He and a fellow tech, who trained under Matt at Peter Pan, got it all installed in about 4 hours at their shop. At least the price was right!

But....I had them check a CEL while there and the codes showed that at least one of the cam position sensors was bad. With about 20k miles on the car, I'm buying all four sensors for replacement. Also still contemplating a muffler upgrade.

I guess the upkeep work never ends.
    Stu,

I had the pleasure of meeting your son a week or two ago. He got together with Trevor and they installed a PP on a client's car for me, along with a pair of fresh headlights. The job went off without a hitch and I brought him an Alpina that he's doing the same thing to right now. I highly recommend BMW of San Diego if you're down this way and haven't done the performance package yet. If your headlights are foggy, you might as well get that handled at the same time and save yourself the installation cost. Now I need to decide what to do with the rear window on this Alpina. It's not the worst I've seen, but it's not excellent by any means. My client (and I) are just having a hard time with a plastic rear window costing such a ridiculous amount. The install is pretty reasonable, but the part cost... Holy cow!

Gar

Quote Originally Posted by BigGar View Post
    Stu,

My client (and I) are just having a hard time with a plastic rear window costing such a ridiculous amount. The install is pretty reasonable, but the part cost... Holy cow!

Gar
    Gar - What is the cost?
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

DSC Off
    I'm being quoted $1,450 to $1,650 for the OEM plastic window with zipper surround. I know these are not inexpensive cars. I look after classic and exotic cars for a living and am used to rather, um, $urprising prices on their bits and pieces. This window number is just really sticking in my craw though. It's not the vendors I'm getting quotes from, because the numbers are reasonably consistent. I just figured this would be more like a $500 part. It's a clear vinyl window for crying out loud. The one in the Alpina is not destroyed, it's just not as nice as I hoped. Maybe we just leave it as it and it can be a negotiating point on the sale.

Gar

Gar -

If you are looking through a BMW dealer, BMW CCA membership should give you a 20% discount. Not that it makes it cheap, but it is a little better. BMW Parts and Accessories at GetBMWparts.com has it for $1325.16. I am very interested in this as mine is very fogged and needs replacing. Not sure if an independent convertible top repair shop could do better - have you checked?
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

DSC Off
    An independent upholstery shop can pretty much just buy the same rear window for nearly the same prices we're already looking at, and zip it in place. I don't think anyone is making an aftermarket window yet that zips in place. If so, does anyone have a link? If not, I see an opportunity here I suppose one could have a new vinyl window cut to size at a shop and sewn in place, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of a zip-in replacement. You can buy an entire aftermarket HAARTZ cloth replacement top, with headliner and sewn in rear window, for $1,500. Made in USA. I don't know if anyone here has experience with one of these tops, but I believe the BMW replacement top, with headliner and new rear window included, is $7,000+. I don't know what the install price would be on either one, but that rear window price still has me riled up...

Gar

Shouldn't any fogging be surface based? Zip it out and just give it a deep polishing?

DSC Off
    I would like to think so Norcal. I did try hand polishing and it didn't seem to give me much improvement. It has a haze/spiderwebbing that seems to be trapped inside the clear vinyl. I do ultra high end detailing for a living, so I have experience in this type of thing. I wonder how hard it would be to R&R the window and really give it a good rogering? It's difficult to get a lot of polishing action from the inside of the car. If my client approves the new rear window, I'm going to give it a try once the old one is out, just to see if I can get anywhere with a foam polishing pad and some plastic polish.

Gar

My plastic rear window is also starting to have some opacity issues, and unfortunately a surface polish has done nothing to improve the clarity. I purchased a new window last year for installation at a future date.
    My Best,

Ed

Gar, that's what I was thinking. Please let us know if a good machine polishing helps. Haven't seen my window in a looonnnngggg time, but will this weekend.

Here is the fact sheet of the window

Rear window of the BMW Z8 Roadstar

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Fascinating, great find, thanks!
    Andrew Macpherson