Thread: Tire pressure monitor and new wheels

Sport Button On

Tire pressure monitor and new wheels

I was thinking of swapping out my stock tires (run flats) and rims for a set of used E60 M5 wheels.
    Would the Z8 TPMS referred to as RDW in the manual be compatible with the M5 wheels if they came with the M5 E60 TPMS?

The wheels on the Z8 do not use TPMs, rather the computer compares axle rotation speeds. Not as good, but sort works. So yes, M5 wheels SHOULD work... not sure which ones or what sizes, so.... Let us know, and post pics.

Z8Mania
    Pardon me if I have this incorrect- its been a while- I believe the Z8 doesn't use sensors- instead it uses the ABS system to measure the radius of each tire while its in calibration mode- if there is a significant enough change, the system alerts the driver. It doesnt even tell you which wheel/ tire it is. There are times where excessive road groves would cause the system to give a false positive. So it seems to me you don't need sensors.

I think you are right, Jerry. The ABS system monitors rotation differences via the computer.

Sport Button On
    Thanks for explaining that. So to paraphrase, the Z8 can use standard valve stems. Correct?

Yes, that's what we all use on our alternative rims.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    Thanks guys. Have a happy new year

Z8Mania
    WHOOO HOOO Lets hear it for simplicity!!!!!!!!!!! (shhh, no discussing VANOS, Nav systems etc here! )

What was the protocol for zeroing out the tire pressure indicator? Holding down the button?

I have forgotten. Yes, I can go read my manual.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    Yes, I believe when all the electronics are on but the car is not running you press and hold the TPM button and I think you hear a beep.

Press and hold the button as Mania indicated until the light flashes. Then startup and drive away. The computer collects info for the next 10 minutes while you're driving. That provides the baseline for the rotational speed of each wheel. When the computer detects one wheel spinning faster than the others, it sets off the light and a "ding" tone to alert you one tire may be going flat (emphasis on "may").

Z8Mania
    Right- Ive had several occurrences when the system is faked out. Still- its better than nothing.