Thread: Front end protection

Front end protection

Any recommendations for something (bra, plastic coating) to protect the snout on long freeway trips?

The plastic clear coating like 3M etc seems very popular

and I understand that Discovery also has a line on a really great new product.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    and I understand that Discovery also has a line on a really great new product.
    Shadowman just had his Gallardo wrapped

Heres the direct link

Sean D/A

Has anyone applied plastic film to protect the paint behind the front tires on the lower sills of their Z8?
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Yes. I don't know the name of the product my guy uses but I can find out if you like.

Thank you Jerry for your offer. I have a guy out here in the Bay Area who I have lined up to do the work with his own product. I was interested to know if others have tried to cover the sill in an effort to preserve the paint on this part of the car.
    My Best,

Ed

Yes, mine is covered, and happily because it gets a real beating!
    Andrew Macpherson

Race Wrap or Road Wrap

$40 - $80 a roll. You apply it and peel it off yourself and it is temporary. Look at my pictures in Texas Hill Country Drive post. I covered the hood. front bumper, front fenders, rockers and part of the side. Make sure your bumper has baked paint though. A bad respray by a former owner may look good, but this will delaminate it just as much as the more permanent ones will when you take them off. All the other paint, including the lower part of the bumper I had sprayed myself did just fine.

I am looking into more permanent covers. Seems about $1500 for front bumper, hood, front fenders, and rockers. Can't tell it is even there on other cars I have seen.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Self Healing ClearBra Tape now available

XPEL is now touting a new self healing tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUqzFvRw4-A

and with purposeful Key scratching, abrasives, brake fluid, transmission fluid all can be cleaned with alcohol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q99I...eature=related

Professional application (lots of experience) can mean you can almost not see the margins.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

That looks petty amazing!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thats right Charles. A good install is hard to tell but if you look close you can tell. I have it on my front bumper, side rockers, and a little behind the front and rear wheel openings because the tires on the Z8 (especially with the Alpina wheels) stick out from the body and can spray it a little bit. IMHO its well worth it. Especially with the roads around here.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I just figure with the plastic parts "front bumper, rocker panels" I will just periodically get them resprayed. Not a fan of how the wrap looks on the car. I know it does the job but I have already relented that there is really no way to prevent getting some stone chips unless you never drive your car. If you never drive it, then why even have it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I have a 3M wrap on mine that went on in early 07, after my car got badly rock peppered during Meet in Middle, so it is getting on in years, and so far it still looks pretty good. Once it starts to yellow I'll have to figure out how to replace/reapply it with a new one, which I'm sure won't be an easy job!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I just figure with the plastic parts "front bumper, rocker panels" I will just periodically get them resprayed. Not a fan of how the wrap looks on the car. I know it does the job but I have already relented that there is really no way to prevent getting some stone chips unless you never drive your car. If you never drive it, then why even have it.

In your opinion, if parts are resprayed, how does this affect the values of our cars?

2000 Red over black

Here's my impression of the feedback in this string for the potential plastic film sites on the Z8. I am having the lower sills resprayed and then following up with the application of the plastic film to protect this area behind the front wheel.
    Name:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  79.5 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Repainting the parts that Ed has highlighted should have very little to no impact on resale value. However, repainting the hood, doors, fender/ quarter panels, trunk and roof (if our car had a roof) would have significant affect on the resale value.

Marty, I used to think as you did, but I discovered, much to my dismay when someone backed into my front bumper a long time ago, black is very difficult to match- the new paint job was browner than the rest of the car. It was subtle but it was there. The plastic film has become very good and there are some great artists out there that work with this stuff. I've become a believer in it. Warning- you really have to find someone who knows what they are doing (isn't that true for anything?). It won't protect you 100% but its a lot better than the alternative around here. After 6-7 years my rockers were chewed up like crazy and it was maybe 4 years on the front bumper repaint that was a drop too brown. When my car went to BMW NA for its PP work I asked them if they would be kind enough to repaint the bumper and rockers and they agreed to at cost. It was very nie of them. The paint job was excellent. Its been 5 years I think and Ive had the film on it and no problems. The roads around here sometimes have enough debris that its like sand blasting your paint....

Andrew, replacing it isn't that difficult provided the installer is good. If done wrong, it can pull the paint off!!!!!!!!!!!! But if done right there should be no issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    In your opinion, if parts are resprayed, how does this affect the values of our cars?
    I'm anxious to hear Marty's take, but if done right, I don't think this will be an issue. As the fleet ages, all cars will have something repaired/repainted. It's just the way it goes if you take it on the road. I see it like the SLs, other than some car looked away in a vault, they've all been painted and often a different color.

If you're worried about your garage queen, it's the risk any collector plays - keep pristine or enjoy with risk.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    If you look at the real collector cars, many of them have been repainted in their entirety. Its just what happens.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I have made this point elsewhere on the forum. Most collector cars have been fully restored and they are worth big bucks. The same thing will happen with a Z8. A quality repaint due to age will have no negative impact on value. That rare, low mileage example that is completely original will always be worth more though.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    I think the differentiator in our case is that relatively speaking there are many more Z8s than the collectibles Im thinking of. With so few of those models around, and the cars now being 40+ years old in many cases, finding that car with all original factory paint is almost impossible. I think a garage queen 2003 Z8 or Alpina V8 Roadster will bring huge dollars in the future.

One of the fun things about the vintage cars is you can repaint/ reupholster them in personal favorite colors (for a tidy sum of course).

Old cars yes, but how feasible will it be to do a full restoration or color change on modern cars? Most modern cars are meant to be used up, then disposed of it seems. Not engineered for restoration.

Z8Mania
    This is a good point and it is true that modern car construction techniques are different. However, I think your point implies that the now vintage cars were designed to be easy to repaint/ alter and Im not sure if that is true. It is possible to repaint a modern car, but its an involved process. A really amazing paint job on a car like the Z8 would probably set you back $35-40k. I guess its one thing when the car is a $1m car, vs a ~$125k car (avg for the Z8)

I seem to recall BMW wants about 80k for a full resto in Germany? THat could include a color change... I may take them up on that some day.

Z8Mania
    Sweet! I love black on the car. If the paint got really chewed up I could see maybe having BMW do it but Id keep it black. But thats me. The beauty here is when its your car, you can do as you please

If I was to do that for sure I'd ask them to do it just like this grey/red 507 that I photographed in the museum at the 10th Anniversary event.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Gorgeous. Kind of like stratus/ red.

OK, I want to join fantasy land too;

Alpina Blue over solid red interior
    2000 Red over black

More fantasy land

Despite the work associated with keeping the exterior clean, I would likely restore my Z8 to its OEM factory colors black/red.

OK, I want to join fantasy land too;

Alpina Blue over solid red interior
    Having said that, I am intrigued by the idea of repainting a Z8 in "criollorot" (metalic redish brown) as described in the EU sales brochure with a crema interior.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Having said that, I am intrigued by the idea of repainting a Z8 in "criollorot" (metalic redish brown) as described in the EU sales brochure with a crema interior.
    Though I do not see that color listed in the color poll, I did see that color Z8 for sale briefly in Texas around 03 or 04' so someone had it done somewhere.

Looked great BTW.
    2000 Red over black

Though I do not see that color listed in the color poll, I did see that color Z8 for sale briefly in Texas around 03 or 04' so someone had it done somewhere.

Looked great BTW.
    Good to know there's one car out there because apparently criollorot was never used as a standard color for the Z8 in any of BMW's markets.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Good to know there's one car out there because apparently criollorot was never used as a standard color for the Z8 in any of BMW's markets.

Maybe a repaint?

Anyone else remember it? I seem to recall someone posting a picture of it on Roadfly back when we all went there in the olden days.
    2000 Red over black

As far as I know there was only one Chiareto Red ever made, and it was a pre production prototype that was supposedly torn apart at the factory after the initial wear and tear tests. I've heard it said that it was not considered a suitable color on the Z8 when it was seen by the board, so it wasn't produced in the actual production run. If you really did see that color as opposed to a warp or a respray then it was likely that car, which means it must have been part of the test fleet that came here under Robert Fassel's watch, and somehow survived without being sent back to the factory, and been sold off by BMW NA when they dumped all the DE cars onto the market back in '05.

However I also just learnt that there was a single right hand drive Z8 prototype made, and it still exists in a private collection in Germany, so ten years later there are still all kinds of odd secrets about the Z8 coming to the surface.
    Andrew Macpherson

I really don't know the provenance.

It was for sale at a small Texas car dealer. I remember the pics and the description. Wraps weren't big then but sure could have been a repaint.

2000 Red over black

When I do a search, all I come up with is;

http://aebergon.perso.neuf.fr/page_BMW_Z8_00.htm
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    Very interesting. It seems to me theres nothing in the interior stopping the car from being RHD. But I have no idea if its mechanically feasible and maybe thats why they stuck with LHD.

Jerry, since that car is owned by a Club member I'm sure we'll eventually get some pix and a story about it.

I have never seen the color Chiaretto in person, but I think it is this one used on the E39 M5 and called Chiaretto Red, it is much more of a brick red metallic than that bright copper French car, which has also appeared a couple of times earlier in the 'What's my Color' thread.

(Also that French car is silver under it's wrap, as you can tell by the plastic parts of the interior.)

Andrew Macpherson

Thank you Andrew for the picture of the 5 series above. That's the exterior color with a Crema interior, which I find more attractive than BMW's Board members on the Z8.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    As far as I know there was only one Chiareto Red ever made, and it was a pre production prototype that was supposedly torn apart at the factory after the initial wear and tear tests. I've heard it said that it was not considered a suitable color on the Z8 when it was seen by the board, so it wasn't produced in the actual production run. If you really did see that color as opposed to a warp or a respray then it was likely that car, which means it must have been part of the test fleet that came here under Robert Fassel's watch, and somehow survived without being sent back to the factory, and been sold off by BMW NA when they dumped all the DE cars onto the market back in '05.

However I also just learnt that there was a single right hand drive Z8 prototype made, and it still exists in a private collection in Germany, so ten years later there are still all kinds of odd secrets about the Z8 coming to the surface.
    Super fuzzy memory here, but I seem to remember Bangle mentioning the Chiaretto Z8 when we were in Como. I thought he said that it "disappeared" one day, but that it is still "out there" somewhere. He also talked about the Z8 with the creases (from the Z4 M) down the side that they used to test a new metal forming processing that is now used on all of the recent line of BMWs. That one too is supposedly somewhere either in the BMW vaults or in a private collection. I get the feeling that the Quandts scarf up some of the one-offs. Again, I'm drawing this all from very hazy memory.

I've seen Chiaretto on the 5, and I thought it worked pretty well for an everyday sedan. I'm not sure I'd like it on Z8, but it'd be great to get a chance to see the single example in the flesh. Hopefully it wouldn't be a disappointment like the midnight blue/arizona sun cars.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Hopefully it wouldn't be a disappointment like the midnight blue/arizona sun cars.
    Those are a disappointment?

They sure look awesome in pictures.
    2000 Red over black

I thought it was going to be amazing, but it's just odd. The blue is ho hum and the interior is very strong. Plus the black trim in the interior doesn't blend. It's no doubt fine for some, but I don't think it's a good look on the Z8.
    thegunguy

I agree, so far the Stratus/Red is the best of the 'odd ones' but I still like my silver/black the best! :-))

(But that doesn't stop me wanting one of each combo! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I'm with Ed. I'd keep my car as it is. Black/red. But it sure is fun to imagine.

I'm with thegunguy on this one. I was so forward looking to seeing the midnight blue/arizona sun car in Monterey in 2008, but in the flesh it was kind of a mess. Too bright interior with (color) mismatched dashboard bits. The midnight blue is attractive though.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    Thanks for the input. I remember seeing pictures of this car and thinking the same thing- it would be great. Shame it didn't quite live up to expectations.

Ed, can you tell me what software you used to generate the image with the bubble captions?

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Ed, can you tell me what software you used to generate the image with the bubble captions?
    I used MS PowerPoint and then saved the file in JPEG format. The JPEG can then be downloaded as a picture.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    There you go- thanks Ed. Im always looking for new ways to generate these kinds of graphics.