Thread: Hello all

Z8 Novice

Hello all

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading through the forum for the past month and have finally joined as my interested in the Z8 just keeps growing. I have been itching for a convertible to just "cruise" in, but my love for cars that are well balanced, very fast, brake well and have that certain timeless character made me hone in on the Z8. In any event, I am still in search of the "one" whether it be silver or black. I currently own a 1997 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo which I will never sell. I absolutely love the power and the curves and the history behind it.

I can see the Z8 as another purchase I will keep. It has that timeless beauty matched perfectly with modern advances. I'm already hoping a group of us can come together and order another batch of those Quaife LSD's(what was BMW thinking leaving this out?).

Another thanks to Andrew for putting this forum together.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I'm another new member who will hopefully become a new owner next spring. I would be very interested to hear of your observations of the current Z8 market as you search for a car. Good luck and please post pictures of what you find.

Jason
    speed is life

Getting a car seems to be a bit harder than I would have guessed.....

as the prices have really held steady. Against that many of these car are seeing little use, thus are remaiing mint with low miles, so picking up a bargain Z8 is very hard indeed. Please do keep us posted on your progress finding your cars.

I just a second Z8, which I saw on EBay, and contacted the dealer directly to make a solid sale before the auction ended. I paid $72,000 for a 50,000 mile car that's a bit rough around the edges, but it's a car I won't be affraid to use, and use hard, which is the point of getting it. These cars are just such fun to drive, but the one I bought new I was affraid to put miles on, or have any serious driving fun with incase I hurt it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew,

Congratulations and thank you for including the particulars of your recent purchase. I had read your post on Roadfly and was trying to think of a tactful way of asking you the purchase price. The pictures from Ebay don't portray the car as "rough around the edges". I guess it definitely pays to take a look at the car before you buy it. Enjoy #2 and please post some pictures.

Jason
    speed is life

Z8 Novice

Hello all

I also just wanted to say hello to all of the other members out there.

I just bought a Z8 2 weeks ago. I purchased it from a dealer as a CPO car. I was torn between alot of cars out there and almost forgot about the Z8. I really love cars that are unique or rare, but hate making compromises between performance, reliability, comfort etc.
    Then I saw a Z8 driving down the street (rare even in Orange County where I live) and remembered what an awesome and unique car they are, so I started looking for one in the $100k range in silver with red and found one.
    After it was shipped to me (came from the east coast and had to be picked up down the street from house because the truck couldn't fit down my street) I was driving it around town feeling pretty good about my rare car, then I mashed the pedal down in 2nd gear to see what all that torque felt like and the engine just revved but the car barely moved.
    The clutch was shot! What a shock. So I called the dealer to let them know and they told me to call my local dealer to get it checked out (it was kind of a surprise that a certified car had a bad clutch, but I am going to assume that they are going to pay for the new clutch).
    It was still very driveable as long as you were not too hard on it in lower gears (1-2) and the dealer (Crevier) could not look at it for a week so in the meantime I purchased a new set of 20" wheels which I will post a picture of once I get the car back (they are a set of Beyern mesh wheels that accept the factory center caps with michelin pilot sports) the car drives better with the 20"s than the stock 18"s and it does not track or have any weirdness associated with alot of larger wheels. So as someone else said in another post , this is a car I think I will keep for a very long time. Thanks , Geoff

Congratulations, and welcome, great to have you on board!

and I'm looking forward to seeing your wheels too! The clutch is a notoriously weak link in the Z8's transmission, it is well worth having the Clutch Delay Valve removed. CDV link.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I will certainly keep you all posted on what I find. I'm a pretty patient car searcher as it has to be part of a great buying experience for me. I am willing to a pay little more for a nicer one and usually I am not afraid of driving my cars. Usually it takes about 4-6 months of paranoid babying and then I usually start racking up the miles. I am sure I will be buying one of those Quaife LSDs before I even get the car. This car is so beautiful and has all the qualities of a modern classic in the making in my opinion that its worth the investment in time to find the right car.

Cheers,

Mike