Thread: The M6 arrives

Z8Mania

The M6 arrives

Here she is. The color is Monte Carlo Blue with Canyon Brown individual leather interior. It cost a little extra and also pushed delivery back 6-8 weeks. The color is the M5 launch color but it was not officially available on the M6. I'm very happy with the result and very glad I made the effort to spec it this way.

Overall, I am very very impressed with this car. I am not looking for this to be like a Scuderia or 911 GT3-- I was looking for a sporty GT and thats exactly what this is. Its basically a 7 series convertible on steroids. Ive never driven a convertible that is so stiff. It is much stiffer than the Ferrari 458 spider I drove a few weeks ago. On the 458 the rear view mirror was jiggling around all the time, as our roads are pretty uneven. On the M6 the rear view mirror is stable. There is some judder/ shutter over the worst road imperfections, but compared to every other convertible Ive ever driven, this is a huge improvement. I guess structural integrity plays a large part in justifying the 4500lb curb weight- yep- it really is a 7 series.

The DCT is a delight. This is the same basic Getrag 7 speed DCT that Ferrari uses. The differences are software and gearing. The Ferrari during full power shifts gives a little more of a slam between gears, thus making it more dramatic and visceral. Also the paddles feel better on the Ferrari and they are steering column mounted vs the steering wheel ones on the BMW. I prefer the Ferrari approach here- but its a minor issue. During full acceleration gear shifts the M6 also gives a little bang and I like that. Its so good. This transmission is actually smoother than most automatics.

The throttle response is excellent in sport plus mode. There doesn't seem to be any turbo lag. The motor feels strong through out the rev range but from the mid point on it feels like the VANOS opens up the CAM profile more and the car transforms from simply fast to a beast!! There's always that 4500lbs of mass that the power has to overcome, but it overcomes it quickly. The motor seems like it likes to rev- I haven't really driven it all that hard- I just have ~140 miles on it (and thus, also on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, which seem to me to be fantastic).

The steering in comfort mode has good weighting, the other modes are too heavy and seem to swap the minimal steering feel that is there for extra weighting. There is feel there, but its only good when judged against the cars of today.

The brakes feel like BMW brakes. Good feel, great stopping for street applications. I stayed with the steel brakes, I did not see a reason to go with the carbon brakes. That basically covered the cost of the semi custom color choice. The M painted calipers are nice. I wish they did something a little more for the rear calipers but now I'm nit picking and the brakes work well- and they are huge which is always neat to look at. I suspect on the track they would get overheated- again this is a big heavy car- but I think they would hold out for a little while- which is probably an improvement over the prior M brakes. However, for driving on the street, these seem like a great choice. I have no doubt at all if I had to panic stop the car would stop immediately.

The car feels much more nimble than a 4500 lb car. From the drivers seat it feels 1000 lbs lighter. I have not really pushed it in corners (again brand new car and tires) but its typical M car- feels sharp for street driving, probably has some understeer as you really get on it, thats good for most people. The other day I took a turn a little more aggressively and I got on the power and I could feel the tail wanting to step out and power slide- so its also typical M car on that. Ive found the preferred suspension mode is sport. Comfort is actually ok and isnt overly floaty but I like the more buttoned down feel of sport. Sport plus isn't rock hard but its a little too over dampened for most public roads.

I should note the car has 3 settings (comfort, sport, sport plus) for each of:

engine/throttle
    suspension dampers
    steering weighting

So in essence you have a car that is true to what I think M cars should be which is powerful, relatively nimble, and has an edge to it; yet its safe, practical; and relatively easy to live with.

The best thing I can say about it is I can't stop driving it. I want to drive it everywhere. So here she is.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Jerry,

That looks great! The painted calipers with the "M" are super. The color suits the lines - the lighter color bringing up the curves. I'm a blue guy too.

May you have many happy miles.

Best Regards,

Phil

61115 Topaz/Crema

Congratulations, it's gorgeous, enjoy!! 👍👍👍🏁🏁
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    7.7mpg. Hmmmm. Makes my Raptor at 9.8 seem down right fuel efficient.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Jerry, beautiful car and color combination! Enjoy every moment behind the wheel (and also those just standing next to her).
    Are there any custom license plate choices in NY that offer a better color than orange? Texas found it so profitable to offer a bunch of choices that they have established a whole company to custom manufacture them.

Z8Mania
    Thank you for the kind words. One of my reasons to go with this was to have a special car that my kids could ride in. They love it. I'm now up to 11 MPG! Yes, NYS new "Empire Gold" plates (I think thats what they call them) are horrible and those will be changed ASAP. I call them recession plates because they came out when the recession began and I jokingly say that they did this so people would step up and pay the fees for the other plates. You can get any number of plates with various themes etc. I tend to go with the I Heart NY plates because its a classic ad campaign, and its not likely to anger any fan of a team, etc. Though I do like some of the pets plates. You don't have to have a custom number, you can get the plate with a random generated number.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Very, very nice Jerry! She is a real beaut'
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Great choice in colors and the car itself is just stunning. Good luck with her!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Lovely, Jerry. Sharp shots too.

I'm potentially a day or two away from pulling the trigger on one of two X5Ms. One's carbon over cinnamon, the other is monte Carlo on black. The blue is really special on M cars.

Peter Pan has an orange M6 coupe that looks cool and purposeful.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Mummm orange crush. Thanks for the kind words.

X5M eh? Thats one fast truck! I love both combinations. The carbon black is more discrete. The monte carlo blue is more sporty. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

The orange M6 is the most aggressive factory BMW I've ever seen...even if its kind of big.

I've always loved carbon black ever since I first saw it on an E39 with caramel interior - lush! Now you can get carbon on many of the standard models. It's still a great color, but it's lost its exclusivity. The X5M with carbon and cinnamon reminds me a lot of that E39, but I like the boldness of Monte Carlo more right now. Behind Azurite Black, it'd be my pick on the new M5. I can see why it's currently the M press color.
    thegunguy

I ordered a 5 Gran Turismo in carbon/cinnamon. I love the changing of the color in sunlight: from black to a deep blue!
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Rifle I agree with your sentiments and I would go a lot further: I think they devalue the M brand when they allow M products on non M cars- such as M steering wheels and M wheels. I think if you want the M bits, you should have to get the M car. And I also don't like this M performance sub brand. I think it would be fine if they would call these vehicles sports packages and they could even say that M assisted in the tuning process but they shouldn't put logos etc. BMW might have to respond to the AMG Black Series cars, but I don't like them taking M downmarket. FWIW, I have a few friends who have the C63 Black Series and they LOVE it. I have not had the opportunity to drive it yet. In the interest of full disclosure- I had a 2001 525 touring I got them to do in Carbon Black. It was awesome- but it was also a bit of a dog.

Ton, wow! Big moves! Congratulations on the new car. I love the sense of quality you get in the 5 GT. I think there might be even more room in there than in a 7er. Its very comfortable.

Jerry I agree with you on the M brand matter it started with the Z8 that was the first time IMO that the M parts were used outside the M brand

The problem is that if you want e.g the carbon black color or the steering wheel with the shifters you have to take the "M edition" including all the ///M logo's.
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I believe the first time was on a South African edition 7 series from the late 80s.

It would be easy for them to not paint any non M car an M color and to take the M steering wheel and change the stitching, remove the logo and perhaps different paddles. Its the little things that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I believe the first time was on a South African edition 7 series from the late 80s.

It would be easy for them to not paint any non M car an M color and to take the M steering wheel and change the stitching, remove the logo and perhaps different paddles. Its the little things that matter.
    I guess you are right...I am not very much a BMW historian. But it is a great marketing gimmick ....almost the real thing...just like the M logo on the back of a 316
    Ton

I think they need to keep the uniqueness of the M cars separate. So, things like the M specific colors should not be available on the standard models, unless they're moving to newer colors and down-grading previous ones. Also the new diesel line with the ///M badge shouldn't happen. If M GMBH wants to do a diesel under a full project like a new M3, etc., I can go there. Performance doesn't have to gasoline in my book. Technology changes, alternatives need to be considered in the context of the market, etc.

As far as M parts, I don't have a problem with it. I think the brand remains asperational, despite the little Ms on wheels, etc. I'm not sure that I like how close the latest round of M-sport body kits are to the real thing, though. The total look is as much a part of the brand, and those things are too close.

On the X5M...thread to follow soon...blue.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Sweet. Can't wait.

Gorgeous, good luck.
    Jim

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    I got one too, and simply love it, however my paints a little darker. I ordered the San Marino Exterior with the Sakir Orange Interior.

2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Z8Mania
    Sweet Kevin! Congratulations! The car is a great drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Sweet Kevin! Congratulations! The car is a great drive!
    Thanks, I dont know what part of NY your in this event at the Americana Shopping Mall looks cool if anyone in the area is interested.

Z8Mania
    I tend to stay away from such events. Im sure it will be great but its not my scene.

Congrats, stunning blues both, love them!
    Andrew Macpherson

Enjoy it! Great leather choice I have the same in my 7.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

I REALLY need to get around to shooting the X5M, that's also in Monte Carlo. I'm really in love with the color. It goes between green and red in various lights, and the flake is pretty tight. I've had too many compliments on the color to count.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Me too. Though I dont really see much green nor red in it- could be my eyes though!

It's just the range of blues that the paint picks up in different light. It's always blue, but it has a different character in various settings...always beautiful.
    thegunguy

Congratulations Jerry. Your car looks absolutely stunning. The temptation to run to Classic BMW and see if they have one for a test drive is tremendous. You are building up a lot of pressure here. Enjoy!
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Gorgeous ride, Kevin. I see you have an interesting assortment of other German brand vehicles. Would you mind sharing some photos of your 71 280 SE 3.5 Cab? I know some of us on this board will appreciate it. Great car and good investment! Happy motoring.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Beautiful, I'd sleep in it!
    Enjoy,
    Jim

Z8Mania
    I once thought about sleeping in my M3. I was visiting friends who did not have air conditioning and it was a heat wave. It was 80F at night and humid. It was very unpleasant.

The M6 really is a great car- its exactly what an M6 should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAchterbahn View Post
    Gorgeous ride, Kevin. I see you have an interesting assortment of other German brand vehicles. Would you mind sharing some photos of your 71 280 SE 3.5 Cab? I know some of us on this board will appreciate it. Great car and good investment! Happy motoring.
    Thank You, Here it is the car is completely original from paint, leather, chrome, engine, trans, the car currently has 52,000 miles, My grandfather bought it back in the 80's

She's a beauty Kevin with a long-term family connection too! I understand that 1971 was the last year Mercedes hand assembled its cars.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    She's a beauty Kevin with a long-term family connection too! I understand that 1971 was the last year Mercedes hand assembled its cars.
    Yup. One of the reasons these are collectible today. Now all I need is my Z8 I just can't seem to find the right one for me, everytime something gets in the way. But I'd rather wait and find the perfect one for me.

What a lovely 280, and great that it's a family icon too, lovely story!

There are lots of great Z8's out there, it's all just patience waiting for the right one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Yup. One of the reasons these are collectible today. Now all I need is my Z8 I just can't seem to find the right one for me, everytime something gets in the way. But I'd rather wait and find the perfect one for me.
    Take your time to find a car. I started by understanding the color combinations I wanted, followed by miles, mechanical and cosmetic condition and number of owners. I didn't compromise on color, but I traded higher miles for a single mature female owner and a dealer supplied 30 day warranty. Happy hunting!
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Its gorgeous. Very nice Kevin. I think Ed has a great perspective on looking for a car.

Thank you for sharing. What a fabulous automobile!
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

I had a different way of getting my Z8 - I bought the first one I saw!

I'd recommend going with Ed's advice though

Sport Button On
    congrats Jerry;

Your car is gorgeous! Your house looks even nicer. Any chance of posting more pictures? Of the house, i mean

Z8Mania
    Thanks for the kind words. I think there might be a few other shots in the picture threads but I really don't want to put so much up on line. I hope you understand.

Sport Button On
    Absolutely. Hope I was not getting too personal. If you had an architect design it for you, I would love his or her name.

Z8Mania
    Check your PMs.