Thread: Road&Track Staff

Road&Track Staff

Anyone else notice the changes to the staff at Road&Track magazine?

I receive five car magazines each month, including a Road&Track subscription that I've maintained for nearly 30 years. In the last R&T publication, I noticed that the editor-in-chief and a majority of the regular staff had changed. With an internet search, I learned the Hearst Corporation purchased R&T as well as Car and Driver in 2011. The fallout from this acquisition includes moving the R&T headquarters from Newport Beach to Ann Arbor and the firing of its California staff. Car and Driver already has its headquarters in Ann Arbor.

At this point, I'll continue to read R&T for as long as editor at large Peter Egan maintains his Side Glances column. In addition, I'm curious to see how Hearst will differentiate its two car publications over time.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I've rather lost my interest in car mags of late, and stopped getting any except Autoweek, which gives me a wide enough view of whats going on out there.

I used to take them all, but they also all started to blend into one, and the terrible truth is that there just aren't any new cars that I can afford that interest me anymore - Z8 is the only car I really seem to be able to be passionate about! Sure I'd love an F12, but that's just not on the cards with this economy!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I agree, but I even quit subscribing to Autoweek. IMHO they began devoting an inordinate amount of space to supporting and preaching the "green" agenda. It seemed as though there was more and more coverage of hybrids, green events and such than I care for. I have nothing against the technology, but it seemed to me about 25-30% of the magazine was of little interest due to the green subject matter. Guess that's progress...just not for me.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I let my subscription to Autoweek expire years ago but they are still sending it to me!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I let my subscription to Autoweek expire years ago also, but unfortunately they are not still sending it to me.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    I did not notice. Thanks for the heads up. I get them all but the two best IMHO are Evo and Autoweek.

For new car reviews, I enjoy Autombile magazine for its driving impressions and for its design analysis by Robert Cumberford. For planning my future car project, I enjoy reading Sports and Exotic Car including its analysis of recent auctions results.
    My Best,

Ed

I do love Evo, if it was easy I'd get it, but right now it's an airport read only.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    For new car reviews, I enjoy Automobile magazine for its driving impressions and for its design analysis by Robert Cumberford. For planning my future car project, I enjoy reading Sports and Exotic Car including its analysis of recent auctions results.

I like Automobile too. Remember tho, Cumberford hated the Z8 design (or anything he considered "retro"). He prefers angry insect freak show design or old Alpha Romeos or something to that effect.

I thought I was just being overly sensitive to the new trend of loving everything "green". Glad to know it wasn't just me.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    Andrew, I read Evo on my iPad.

I enjoy Cumberford too. Even if he didn't like the Z8. We're all allowed a few mistakes.

Ed, future car project? Do tell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post

I enjoy Cumberford too. Even if he didn't like the Z8. We're all allowed a few mistakes.

Ed, future car project? Do tell!!
    Jerry,

No definitive plans in the short term for a car project, but looking around the corner, I see myself restoring a sports car to its original state. Long ago I was handy with a wrench and Haynes manual. The Hemmings' publication Sports and Exotic Car features such car restoration stories each month.
    My Best,

Ed

Ed, I used to get them all... Including sports and exotics. I guess the web and all my forum associations was the end of that. Let me know if you start a project. Love to come see it.

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Jerry,

No definitive plans in the short term for a car project, but looking around the corner, I see myself restoring a sports car to its original state. Long ago I was handy with a wrench and Haynes manual. The Hemmings' publication Sports and Exotic Car features such car restoration stories each month.

Well, you gotta tell us some potential cars so we can talk about it and influence your decision.

3000MKII? 365GTC? 260Z? TR250 with small block ford? 365GTBB? Come on, we'll help you decide!
    2000 Red over black

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Well, you gotta tell us some potential cars so we can talk about it and influence your decision.

3000MKII? 365GTC? 260Z? TR250 with small block ford? 365GTBB? Come on, we'll help you decide!
    With your help and my resources we can do great things together!

Rather than a TR250 with a small block my taste are more an authentic Sunbeam Tiger. Other cars under consideration: big Healey (100-4 or 3000MKIII), early 356, 67 Vette.

Sounds like a great follow on to Marty's Top 5 Cars, your "Top 5 project cars". Something your willing to get your hands dirty completing!
    My Best,

Ed

Sounds great. I'd be partial to the tiger. One of the roots of the z8 in my book. Match the color scheme to your 8?

DSC Off
    I just hapen to have an authentic Tiger going on the block next weekend in Mecum's. We bought our Z8 with the intention of selling the Tiger; 'upgraded' to the Z8. The Tiger is a super fun car to drive, and one of these days will be appreciated. I've owned an original and a modified small block TR4A, 289 Cobra, and the Tiger. The Tiger was my favorite. (wish I still had the Cobra for $$) Common thread is a V8 sports car, not unlike our Z8s.
    http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=&startRow=145

Tom

Nice looking tiger. Did you restore it? What do you think the price will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    I've owned an original and a modified small block TR4A,

Tom

Wow, Any pictures hanging around in the ole' hard drive? I always wanted to do this project and have only seen it done one time before.
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    Very cool Ed. I look forward to following your progress on this.

That Tiger really looks gorgeous Tom, what was it like to own and drive?
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I loved the Tiger, but like any other older British sports car, it has a short leash. You don't jump in it and go for a 100 mile drive unless you bring the toolbox and the right spares. My motor is an SVT crate motor putting out about 350hp, so in a car that weights less than 2,500 lbs is very quick, and being Ford, very reliable. The Tiger is a softer suspension ride, so at speed it's a pretty good ride also. Fun, and believe it or not, easy to work on. Mine is a driver, not a show vehicle, and it's not a Z8!
    The TR4 was a different story. Electrical problems up the gazoo, front end rattled loose at speed, and never could get the suspension right with the small block Chevy's front end weight. Brakes were Flintstone era. My original TR4A was a nightmare, but it was an every day transportation car through two winters. Fun with the top down in the summer when it ran, when it ran. Thank God for a strong girlfriend who could push-start the car! No pictures, it was 35 years ago.
    A nice TR4 was the one on eBay a couple months back with the BMW M3 motor in it. I looked at it and it was very well built. KC area. Would have been fun...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post

I loved the Tiger, being Ford, very reliable.

The TR4 was a different story with the small block Chevy

Tom
    And I think we have the explanation here.

The one I saw up here was a Ford 302 with aluminum heads/tranny and the car was a masterpiece of suspension engineering. Definitely not a drop the motor in and go.
    2000 Red over black