Thread: Driver's side window makes 'clunk' sound

Driver's side window makes 'clunk' sound

This just started today!

When the window is almost down, or almost up, there's a metallic/glass 'clunk' sound. It sounds like it is towards the hinge side of the door.

Anyone know what this might be?

I know I've heard that before, it's just the window winder stuff, it's a fairly easy fix, I am sure Matt @ Peter Pan has done a couple, you could always ring him to ask.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It is unusual to find a Z8 that doesn't make the noise you are describing on one or both windows. It is the regulator, which is the arm the window rides on. I would just live with it as it will not cause any harm and you really don't want to know how much a new window regulator installed is gonna cost you.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Same. Mine does it, and I've heard it often in other cars.

It's related to the front wheels.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I know I've heard that before, it's just the window winder stuff, it's a fairly easy fix, I am sure Matt @ Peter Pan has done a couple, you could always ring him to ask.
    As Andrew suggested, Matt repaired the driver's window on my car earlier this year for a clunking noise heard during its travel. My repair only required an adjustment and no new parts were installed.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Sometimes an adjustment will do it but more times than not a new regulator is required.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Do you mean it makes this sound when raising or lowering the window or when you close the door? My drivers side used to make this sound during raising and lowering and it got worse and worse until the window unit failed and needed replacement.

You are correct. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it can get worse over time and eventually fail. Adjusting it to get rid of the noise is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It will work temporarily, but that ship is going down.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor