Thread: Tail lights

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar

Tail lights

According to european Z forums a substantial group of owners are having troubles with their tail lights. Replacement is hard to get and the plans of the Z8 Club are on the back burner ( I think) To avoid problems in the future I ordered last week a complete (left/right) set. Today I got the message that the right light is available at the end of the year and the left light is getting there "some day". The prices have increased ( about 20%) and according to BMW NL, BMW AG is waiting for enough orders to do a new production run. So if you want a spare set just order them now :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Again, what happened to our promise of a fifty year supply of parts.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Where are all the US taillights pulled off from the repatriated cars that went back to Europe I wonder? There should be a silver lining for us in the used US spec tailights marketplace. I know of only one pair from Germany that was for sale.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    They postponed the promise
    Ton

We're sort of rehashing an ongoing issue with this one...

The latest I got from our impromptu Club meeting the weekend before last is that there may be a release of lights from BMW soon, but it's a mystery as to how this will happen as the original Italian supplier is no longer in business and all the tooling was discarded. Regardless, any new production will likely suffer from the same issue as neon is just not a long-term lighting solution. Like the tonneau cover hooks, this is one area where we'll probably need to create something more lasting...like my continual desire for a side-lit or evenly diffused LED system.

As far as the 50 year availability on parts, it was a wonderful gesture, but it's just simply not practical. While some will likely want to hold BMW to the full letter of this "promise," I'm a little more lenient as they've come to my aid out of warranty more times than I can count. So, in the spirit of supporting the Z8 for many years, they're been more than fulfilling their promise so far.
    thegunguy

Why can't a "neon guy" just replaces the bulbs? Like on an old neon sign? It's not rocket science!

Z8Mania
    This is what I've wondered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    This is what I've wondered as well.

+2....or would it be +3?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

the original Italian supplier is no longer in business
    Maybe they should haven chosen a German supplier *pun intended*
    Ton

Z8Mania
    This is just what happens. We will have to work together, like we are doing on the tongs.

$$$$$

I have a quote from local dealer to replace my left tail light that has only one neon left - $2626.00 - OUCH! Driving with half tail...

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On
    Why not get them changed to LED's like I did when I brought my US Z8 over to England. It's true they don't look quite so good but when you are in the car you can't see them!! I posted a video of them somewhere else on this site. Chris

Yesterday I bought the left tail light (2002, new in BMW box) for........$120. Even if it is not working it is still a bargain :-)
    Ton

A business acquaintance of mine who has a Z8 had a tail light go out. He told me he raised a stink with the dealer about it going out and he said BMW good willed the entire repair.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

A business acquaintance of mine who has a Z8 had a tail light go out. He told me he raised a stink with the dealer about it going out and he said BMW good willed the entire repair.
    Recently ? On a 10 year old car? That must have been quite a stink or he had a long standing relationship with the dealer.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Sport Button On
    Sounds like one of those stories you hear down at the "pub" after a few beers. Chris

It was "Sigma Automotive" who supplies LED tail lights. When I imported my Z8 from US in this Aug, they worked for mine. It was GBP1,560.
    Unfortunately after the weeks since I had received my car, 4 LEDs found dead. But Ben Barnard came up to me last week and is fixing it now (according to him, it takes about a week). So it may needs more technical brush up though, it is only mine that had trouble in the past out of 5 or 10 cars (he said). So I think its worth to contact to him. It is better than waiting original tail lights which nobody knows when it comes.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.co.uk/new/p04.shtml

Kei

Sport Button On
    I've had no problem with my LED's. Chris

Just saw euro taillights for sale on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z8-Europ...64a625&vxp=mtr

Sport Button On
    Hi Jan,

They've been on Ebay for at least 6 months. He wants around $2600 for them. They date from 2001. They do seem to work. I've made what I believe is a reasonable offer to the seller but he won't budge. Were you driving from Copenhagen to Rodbyhavn last May? I was heading up to Gothenburg. Best regards, Chris

Was this the same person (gal, I think) that offered a set here about 4-5 months ago?
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On
    Yes. She seemed to pull out of the process almost at the outset. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjackson View Post
    Hi Jan,

They've been on Ebay for at least 6 months. He wants around $2600 for them. They date from 2001. They do seem to work. I've made what I believe is a reasonable offer to the seller but he won't budge. Were you driving from Copenhagen to Rodbyhavn last May? I was heading up to Gothenburg. Best regards, Chris
    no that wasnt me in Denmark, took the car however to Italy last summer

i drive in Europe with US taillights, i like to full red more then the red/orange so no interest from my end for the taillights and for sure not for these amounts!

Z8 Novice

Placing the order for the Euro lights

My car has been parked for a year now because of this crazy tail light issue (left tail light is fully out). I have the Euro lights as my car was brought to the US. BMW-USA said they couldn't help me and that I needed to contact a dealer in Europe to order the lights. I've not had any luck with that yet and just chose to park the car.

Do you have the contact information at BMW AG to inquire how to order the lights from them (or get on a list to order them)?

thanks
    Terry

Hello Terry,

That is sad to hear! It definitely is an annoying issue. Can't you install US lights? There is no real stock problem so I have heard. My dealer told me that the right light will be available at the end of this year. I frequently order online with this german dealer: http://www.online-teile.com/bmw/
    Ton

Z8 Novice
    I like the look of the amber lights and thought buying one would be the cheapest route. I may be forced to go with the red lights but have not looked into their availability yet. Thanks for the dealer contact information.
    Terry

I agree with you that the look is better but leaving the car in the garage ......brrrr
    Ton

The all red US spec ones are readily available from BMW NA, and a much better option that leaving the car parked.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    In the UK (which seems not to be the case in Holland) rear red blinking turn lights are ILLEGAL and a US import will fail our MOT test which is necessary before the car can be taxed and used on public roads. As BMW are unable to supply the left rear light assembly (but will accept orders with no guarantee of delivery dates) the solution is to convert the blinking element of the light to an amber LED which is what I did. I am quite happy with the solution as it means we retain the visual integrity of the US car while conforming to UK legislation. Chris

Hi Chris,

Dutch MOT allows at the rear orange or red lights so it is legal....but not my choice :-) Does the LED lights use the orginal units. Any pictures ?
    Ton

Sport Button On
    Hi,

Yes, the original units were dismantled (carefully!) and the neon tubes replaced by LED's. There is a video somewhere else on this site but if you give me your email I'll send you some photos. There is no external difference in the lights. Chris

Thanks Chris for the pictures.....hardly a difference noticeable!
    Ton

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    A very good (temporary) solution to an annoying problem.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I sure like the Neon better. Only thing is it sets off my Valentine one if I am close to a reflective surface like a tunnel entrance.
    2000 Red over black

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I sure like the Neon better. Only thing is it sets off my Valentine one if I am close to a reflective surface like a tunnel entrance.
    My headlight reflection does it as well to the V1. In traffic lights behind a white car, pulling into the garage etc. Love the V1 sensitivity and protection, but the false alarms due to the lights can be annoying.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Z8Mania
    Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    My headlight reflection does it as well to the V1. In traffic lights behind a white car, pulling into the garage etc. Love the V1 sensitivity and protection, but the false alarms due to the lights can be annoying.
    I wish it would pick up the LIDAR used by state patrol as well. If it even goes off at all it is just to tell me I have been tagged.

Boy it sure knows when an Audi or Infinity is coming my way tho.
    2000 Red over black

Ha! Useful huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Ha! Useful huh?

Not anymore. Takes a jammer nowadays.

2000 Red over black

As Steven Wright said.....not in a row.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Is there a way to check to lights outside the car? 12 volt battery or does it need some kind of transformer.
    Ton

I am sure it needs a transformer/relay unit of some kind, but not really sure what kind!
    Andrew Macpherson

The worrisome part of the equation is that the lights appear to age out, rather than wear out.

I thought someone else did a bench test.
    2000 Red over black

Ok - now I have two bad ones...

My passenger side tail light now lost one of the neon tubes as well. Feel somewhat lopsided with one side having the upper and the other side the lower working. Sent an e-mail to Bill Stewart asking for courtesy assistance with this very costly repair (considering it's just the lights....). I'll keep the board posted once I receive the verdict from BMWNA.

www.youtube.com/oR9WNKY51G4

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

I have a feeling there will be a lot more failures like this happening to many Z8s. The neon has outlived its life. Be careful when you get a new light to check the date on the box. Many "new" lights have been sitting on shelves for years, meaning the neon is deteriorating.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

This could be the regulator-ballast thingy too, as those can cause that same symptom.
    Andrew Macpherson

It looks like the recent EU lights are a new batch, but.........we will see what is happening! Funny is that the other neon lights in the front don't give any problems. And I don't understand why Seima Italiana ( now part of Magnet Marelli) and Osram both being the original manufacturers of the lights never are held responsible.
    Ton

Bill Stuart contacted me on Tuesday via e-mail letting me know that he had received the e-mail and that he would be reviewing with the request with the Area Aftersales Manager (also inquiring about the mileage which is now right at 90,000). He then called me on Thursday and inquired about the service history and if the car is being serviced through the dealership (which it always has been) and then let me know that he would let me know as soon as the final determination had been made. On Friday morning he called to let me know that the Area Aftersales Manager had extended a 35% discount on parts and labor.

This does speak highly of BMWNA customer service and loyalty program, especially considering the mileage on my car and Bill Stuart is exceptional in his courtesy, professionalism, and timeliness of communications.

I stopped at the dealership (BMW of Des Moines) on my way home to talk to the Service Advisor and to my pleasant surprise, the price of the lights is lower than quoted in the past at a retail price of $1679 each (before the courtesy discount)making the repair a little more palatable. I also ordered replacement upper door speakers as I have lost the tweeters on both sides and a replacement hand break aluminum cover due to dings. So - at the end of the day BMW has a pleased customer and I am spending a few more dollars on additional repairs while the car is in. Win/win for both.

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

On Friday morning he called to let me know that the Area Aftersales Manager had extended a 35% discount on parts and labor.
    You guys are much better of with BMWNA! I payed a 100% on tail light and labor. BMW takes better care for their american customers !
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Nicely done Skip and Bill.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    .... BMW takes better care for their american customers !
    As a general rule, companies in the US take much better care of their customers than those in Europe.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I agree with you Dirk...but in this case I consider BMWNA as a subsidiary of a european company, so the difference in customer care should not be there in my opinion :-)
    Ton

Finally had the faulty taillights (the left with only one level of neon and the right with an intermittent one level out) replaced. A big "shout out" to Bill Stuart at BMW NA, who was able to extend a 35% discount on parts and labor as a courtesy despite the mileage being over 90k and me not being the original owner. Now that is a way to build brand loyalty! While the car was in, I took care of a few other minor issues such as replacing the door speakers as the tweeters had ceased working and replacing a few nicked trim pieces (hand break aluminum shield and inner door handle pull aluminum). The total bill was a hair less than $3,200, which is not too bad to swallow considering that the original quotes for the tail lights alone were $2,626 each before labor. Had the car also detailed in and out ($59 dealership Groupon...) and it looks like new.

BMW of Des Moines and Don Cook did their usual exceptional job and had the car "on display" at the dealership as I couldn't pick it up immediately after it was completed. Apparently the talk of the dealership and customers!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Z8Mania
    Very nice! Well done!