Thread: Swapping US rear lights for european units on a US spec car.

Swapping US rear lights for european units on a US spec car.

Several years ago I exported a US 2001 Z8 to Holland.
    Those were the days that the euro was strong.....

Frequently reading about the rear light problems, I decided to buy an extra set (spare) of EU-spec rear lights when they became available on ebay...

Now my US rear light is failing. The usual quick turn signal and occasional failing of the lower tube.

I want to replace the US units now with the EU spec units.

However just want to check here if somebody has experience with this since the system is slightly different and cabling diagrams are not available.

Otherwise any news on LED rear lights? I opened an old unit and it is quite easy to instrall a LED strip. However, again no cabling diagram and what will the computer do with a different resistance etc?

Thanks, Z8Z1_HOOG

The person who knows the most about this is J?rgen, so I'd suggest maybe send him a message, as he has an immense knowledge of the units, their construction and related issues.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I spoke with Jurgen at breakfast last April and we talked about BMW making LED replacements for all the neon on the car. Are you sitting down? He said if BMW does it, they estimate the cost to replace all necessary lights and such to be $12,000!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

J?rgen previously posted a site that contains wiring diagrams if that helps with the US to EU conversion. http://spaghetticoder.org/
    I understand that the influx of US cars into the EU has created a shortage of new EU taillights. If you're already running US lights, and you can grandfather US replacements lights that are in supply that may be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I spoke with Jurgen at breakfast last April and we talked about BMW making LED replacements for all the neon on the car. Are you sitting down? He said if BMW does it, they estimate the cost to replace all necessary lights and such to be $12,000!
    Knowing nothing about neon lights other than the failure mode is the gas escaping over time, I'll ask my question. Can the tubes that fail be recharged with neon gas?
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Subscribing
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    YIEEKS!!!!!!!!!

If American spec cars going over to Europe need to be converted to two tone euro lights what happens to the us spec units taken out of these cars? It is estimated that several hundred have been repatriated. As far as recharging the tubes has anyone tried this?
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors