Thread: Napa to LA

Napa to LA

Here are some postcards from the road home after our wonderful Napa drive.

Going home after a great trip is always a little sad, but still this is one of the greatest drives one can take. We got up early to be on the road by 8.00am, filled up and climbed out of the Napa Valley. Leaving it in our rear view mirrors is always slightly poignant, as I have never been there long enough to have my fill of the place, but the road was calling, so we crossed the hill into the Sonoma Valley, picked up the 101 south and made quick time to the Golden Gate, and what a difference the view was there from just two days ago!

We wound through San Fran, and took the 280 to Skyline Drive, which runs along the ridge of the mountains between the bay and the ocean, giving us amazing vistas on either side until we arrived at the world famous Alice's Restaurant.

We parked up among the bikes and enjoyed the machines there before heading through the forests and mountains, back down to the coast in the 98? afternoon swelter. We picked up the 1 in Santa Cruz and made quick time to Carmel Valley, where we pulled into the Carmel Valley Ranch heat exhausted at 3pm.

Two cars went to enjoy sunset at the beautiful Point Lobos park before a delicious farewell dinner at the hotel.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow, what a difference is right! Clear and beautiful. Too bad everyone didn't see point lobos, it's amazing. I'm sure everyone was beat. We got home yesterday before noon, and must have fallen asleep four times in the afternoon and evening.... too much fun and not enough sleep! You guys are the best. Hope the drive south from Carmel to LA is fantastic.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    What absolute amazing scenery! Looks like a great time was had by all.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    Absolutely gorgeous!!! WOW! Great photos and some really gorgeous cars too. I love the old Porsches and the Ferrari 250 California.

Z8 Happy
    Amazing photos as always!
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

Some days are better than others...

Monday morning blue took on a whole different meaning as we left the Carmel Valley Ranch at 8.30am to make our way south.

While most of SoCal was hit with a late summer heat wave the coast was in the mid 70's, and gave the three of us who made the run together this morning one of the most glorious drives south on Hiway 1 that I remember. We finished the run with a quick stop to take some shots of Jeff & Cindy with their car at our favorite lay by just under Hearst Castle before rolling into Cambria to put our tops up and the cameras away for the run inland.

The rest of the drive was also fast and completely unobstructed, but we saw insane temperatures of up to 108? outside! However inside the cabin the driving temperature was perfect as our wonderful Z8's blasted across the high desert doing a hundred in the hundred degree heat with missing a beat.

Here are some snapshots from the almost empty road.

Andrew Macpherson

We saw upper 90s in Napa yesterday afternoon - but it was a dry heat!

I hope you get a great run home, and you do a bit of the Cali coast on your way to Ashland, when it's this glorious it's to be enjoyed! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

We drove mostly I5 to be more direct

Ashland is 25 miles from the top of 96 and is a nice place to stay for future trips

The first 10 miles out of Calistoga on 29 are twisty and very smooth, with little traffic and a lot of passing lanes

Gotta love those ocean cliff views.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black