Thread: Super Z8s

Super Z8s

Andrew, is there any way (or need to) add a section to the site that profiles specific Z8s in high level of tune? This might covers cars like Shaddowman and the recent post from Germany (the guy who posted the sound clips), GM etc. The write-ups would look and feel like what we see in the Auto mags, with pictures, specs and editoriial content, perhaps some profile about the owner. There would also be contact info for parts/suppliers. Being "the worlds best Z8 site", it seems like the place to post these featured cars, as highly modified Z8s are not news worthy for the major pubs.

It would require one of the faithful to be quite the journalist, and Dyno specs would help. The manufacturers might be of some help (proud to give you whatever info they have).

I'm not trying to add to your work load but hey, it would be very cool. I read about other tuner cars all the time in all the pubs. I wish there was a place to read about tuned Z8s. And this seems like the place. I would be happy to do the format and graphics to give the articles a pro look.

Just food for thought.

I think it is a great idea.....

I would suggest that I start a new section in the forum called "Ultimate Z8's", as I think that each car reviewed will create questions, and maybe get a dialogue going between tuner & potential customers.

I understand that Shadowman (founder and co-owner of Discovery) sold his car, and Claus, who had the other 'Discovery Special', has disappeared from sight, not answering emails about either his car, or the 'Meet in the Middle'. I think that there is a Venezuelan Z8 at Discovery now awaiting a Supersprint exhaust from EU to arrive before it gets finished. Discovery is in Sacramento, so its your neck of the woods, so if you wouldn't mind running over there to take pix, and do some words that would be wonderful.

I know that Dinan have now got their Z8 work in good shape, and it would be nice to do something on their full final product if they would give us access. They too are in your neck of the woods.

Dieter from Germany has promised us a full review of his car too, with all the specs, so that is in the works.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thumbs up We'll talk about it this weekend

We'll talk about it this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    Dieter from Germany has promised us a full review of his car too, with all the specs, so that is in the works.
    Yes, I did. Here is at least an initial list of mods:

- short shifter from UUC
    - Quaife diff with 3.64 ratio
    - light flywheel & bigger clutch from UUC
    - KW coilover setup (after an initial ACS setup)
    - Dinan sway bars
    - Wheels from Racing Dynamics 19" with PZero Rosso Asimetrico
    - 15 mm spacers on each wheel (needed for this wheel/brake combo)
    - Brembo brakes: 380x32 mm 8 pot front, 340x28 mm 4 pot rear
    - Different scales for speedometer and revcounter
    - Engine modification by Nowack, incl custom build exhaust with race kats and headers
    Power: about 520 hp (486 at rear wheels per dyno run)
    Torque: about 590 Nm (435 lbft, if I calculated this correctly)

Possible in the future:
    - maybe take the next step with the engine to 550-560 hp, not sure
    - modify steering to be more direct
    - increase stability of the front domes
    - reinforce sides of seats
    - finetune coilover setup
    - reduce weight (?)
    - improve driver's capabilities ;-)

I am sure there is more, however, I also need some money to live...

Cheers,
    Dieter

Steering and Front Domes both intrigue me...

I also found that after my time with the GT3 the steering on the Z8 does feel a little dead at higher speeds, and having a more direct and precise steering would be a huge improvement for the car.

How one could beef up the front domes is also something I had considered, the easiest way it to use a solid connector bar as you see on many tuned BMW's, but on the Z8 there is so little space between the top of the air intake plenium box and the inside of the hood that I wonder if there is room to put one in there without making a new top to the airbox.
    Andrew Macpherson

I also found that after my time with the GT3 the steering on the Z8 does feel a little dead at higher speeds, and having a more direct and precise steering would be a huge improvement for the car.

How one could beef up the front domes is also something I had considered, the easiest way it to use a solid connector bar as you see on many tuned BMW's, but on the Z8 there is so little space between the top of the air intake plenium box and the inside of the hood that I wonder if there is room to put one in there without making a new top to the airbox.
    I think you mean a strut tower brace? It might be possible for us to fabricate one and then do a group buy for members. I'll speak to BIll about it.

Sean
    Discovery-Automotive

Strut brace

Cold it be routed around the airbox?

An idea...

You might be able to place a good lump of soft clay on top of the airbox between the strut towers. By then closing the hood, we could get an idea of the static clearance. Certainly, the engine will move some on the road.

It does seem like there should be enough room for a strut tower brace. Then again, Dinan offers and STB on about every other car but the Z8. So, either they couldn't get one to fit or they could not produce one economically with the limited market.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal
    Andrew, is there any way (or need to) add a section to the site that profiles specific Z8s in high level of tune? This might covers cars like Shaddowman and the recent post from Germany (the guy who posted the sound clips), GM etc. The write-ups would look and feel like what we see in the Auto mags, with pictures, specs and editoriial content, perhaps some profile about the owner. There would also be contact info for parts/suppliers. Being "the worlds best Z8 site", it seems like the place to post these featured cars, as highly modified Z8s are not news worthy for the major pubs.

It would require one of the faithful to be quite the journalist, and Dyno specs would help. The manufacturers might be of some help (proud to give you whatever info they have).

I'm not trying to add to your work load but hey, it would be very cool. I read about other tuner cars all the time in all the pubs. I wish there was a place to read about tuned Z8s. And this seems like the place. I would be happy to do the format and graphics to give the articles a pro look.

Just food for thought.
    I could offer a place for a tuned Z8 in a magazine!

It would have to be reasonalby highly tuned though. I've been checking the forums and there are a few on here.

I think there is no question that there are just two 'kings'

on the westside of the US, and as your mag is based in NV I'd suggest that the incredible supercharged specials prepared by Discovery Automotive (look in LINKS) and the one off special that Grease Monkey is having made up by Dinan are about the ultimate Z8's.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    on the westside of the US, and as your mag is based in NV I'd suggest that the incredible supercharged specials prepared by Discovery Automotive (look in LINKS) and the one off special that Grease Monkey is having made up by Dinan are about the ultimate Z8's.
    The magazine is actually based in Toronto, Canada (but we cater to the US market).

Thank you for the info though!

The Discovery Automotive Z8 is amazing, but its already been in a magazine, a definite stike against it. It really is amazing though!

Do you know if the Dinan Z8 is being done at a Dinan retailer or at the main shop?

It is being done at the main shop....

using a Daytona Prototype Dinan s62 derived motor in a lightened and much tweaked Z8 for one of the most respected of the Z8 bretheren, Grease Monkey.
    Andrew Macpherson