Thread: Moments of horror....

Moments of horror....

So with a 1,000 mile drive in front of me, I jumped in the car, and went down to the local Chevron to fill her up, and put air in the tires, but when I tried to restart after putting the gas in - nada!

Called the office, got someone to come down and tried jumping - nada.

The little window in the fairly new battery was green, so all should have been good, but the car wasn't having it.

I got my studio manager to run over to Beverly Hill BMW and pick up a new one, and thank heavens that worked - phew!!

Moral of the story, the Z8 eats batteries, this one was dead after 26 months, and even though it started the car just moments earlier I was too dead to even allow a jump, and that was trying off both trunk and hood connectors. Conveniently it survived to just beyond its 24 month warranty!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Not only does the car go through batteries, it won't make a peep if all isn't tip-top.
    thegunguy

I replaced the nine-year-old original battery on my Z8 just before the Cambria trip this spring as a preventive measure. I was fine, but I have never had a BMW battery last more than three years.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    They can and do go bad with no warning at all.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Curious

Andrew, just curious, but did you keep your battery on trickle charge while stored?
    My prior Z8 went through its' battery in about 2.5 years of periodic use and I kept the charger on the car while garaged.

Anyone remember what group size and CCA the Z8 likes or can take? Anyone here have better or worse experience with any particular brand of battery?

Thanks, StuM

Yes, the car always lives on the charger, what really threw me off was that the two previous batts made it to four years.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Team Z8
    I just replaced my Rayovac battery with another BMW battery. The Rayovac was a little less expensive, but lost a charge quickly. I gave up on it after just two years.

DSC Off
    My battery is now 8 years old. When stored always on a charger(ctek7000) . And remove the flashlight behind the driverseat. The current is always on even if the car is switched off.
    Z8Ros

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The Battery info is PC 1350 Group 49 with SAE Terminals. I bought an Odyssey.
    Joe

Z8Mania
    Glad it worked out Andrew.

What trickle charger were you using? I highly recommend CTEK 7002 or 3300.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    In anticipation of tonight's event with Henrik Fisker, I went out to go get gas in the Z8. Nothing. Drove the car last week with no issues but it was dead. Called my independent BMW mechanic George from Bimmers Clinic and they were at my house in less than thirty minutes with a new battery. They are faster than Dominoes Pizza! Anyways, this proves these batteries can go without any warning. The battery that was in the car was less than two years old but the car has had very little use since then.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Just ordered a ctek 7002 trickle charger. Can the batteries die that quick even with a trickle charger on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouray View Post
    Can the batteries die that quick even with a trickle charger on them?
    The short answer is yes! The fact that my Z8's original battery lasted nine years and that I replaced as a precaution notwithstanding, two to four years is the average for just about every other BMW I've owned or currently own.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    Put a CTEK 7002 on it and you will be amazed at the battery life you get. Sorry to sound like a commercial. I am very impressed with this unit. The Deltrans (OEM BMW) are crummy.

My first battery lasted 2 months - blah blah Motorola Phone blah blah. Since then, I've had 3 more over 12 years.

The key is that, once it's lost a bit of charge, it's almost impossible to get it back to fully working state. The trickle charger helps, but won't keep it working forever.

Z8Mania
    The CTEK will actually condition it.

Z8 Novice
    Where can one purchase a CTEK 7002 charger?

Sport Button On

As we've discussed in several battery threads. The BMW (Deltran) charger is a "dumb" device. It doesn't work to extend the life of your battery. The CTEK or my preferred AccuMate are far better alternatives.

As far as the battery, I prefer the sealed gel batteries.
    thegunguy

Team Z8
    Do people use theCTEK charger with the cigarette lighter attachment?

Z8Mania
    I don't. I go straight to the battery. They make an easy to attach/detach cord where part stays connected to the battery- you can snake it right out from the trunk "floor". Whenever possible I prefer to go right to the battery, I try to avoid the "comfort" terminals.

Cigarette connection is really suspect to me. I had mine arc into a big ball of fire once. Go direct!
    thegunguy

Guess I will return the cigarette attachment that was just delivered today....

Z8Mania
    Def go to the battery. If you don't want to wire it yourself, have the dealer or electronics shop do it.

I run Accumate on several of my cars and a 1959 Ford Tractor. Love them.

Rifle, Mine are the version that have the switch on front for the Odyssey batteries. Those are no longer available. Do you have any first hand knowledge of how the new units perform for AGM type batteries?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I still have the original 2001 battery without any issues (yet)
    maybe best to buy a factory battery?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Z8-NL View Post
    I still have the original 2001 battery without any issues (yet)
    maybe best to buy a factory battery?
    cheers
    How often do you drive it? Battery tender, or no?

Team Z8
    OK, got 2 CTEK 7002's for my occasional use cars. Do you all recommend just leaving them connected continuously when not in use(normal mode)?

Z8Mania
    Do you mean when the cars are not in use or when the CTEKs are not in use?

You should leave the tenders on the cars as often as you can because you never know when youll remember to go out to plug the tenders into the cars. When you plug them in- first connect the tender to the car- then connect the tender to the wall electricity.

The CTEKs have a microprocessor that knows how long its been on a car and when its on for a while (I think 2+ weeks) it will recondition the battery. This helps extend the battery life.

If my car's in the garage, it's plugged in to the Accumate Pro at all times. That's the difference versus the OE BMW/Deltran charger. You can leave it attached to condition the battery.
    thegunguy

Team Z8
    Thanks so much guys! I also connected directly to the batteries and leave the connections to facilitate charging per your suggestions.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    I was at my garage today...and there I heard a real horror story : an exploded battery which was during winter on a trickle charger...acid all around
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    I think that can happen but the question is what happened in that case. I heard about a toyota that caught on fire. Yet there are millions of toyotas on the road right now not on fire. Same thing here.

The story goes that the owner did not drive the car during the winter season and kept the trickle charger connected all the time: battery got weaker and weaker and the trickle charger devastated the battery at last. But unknown is what charger was in use etc etc.
    Ton

Z8Mania
    These CTEKs will keep your battery from getting weaker and weaker. I have heard horror stories about trickle chargers too. But I also have heard horror stories about coffee makers catching fire.

Baby diapers exploding!
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I saw a Toyota Prius crash into a stone wall right in front of my very eyes- and in front of me while driving. The driver was absolutely sure it was "unintentional acceleration". In reality it was that she was sure her car was defective and some how panicked and hit the throttle instead of the brakes...

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Drive it probably once a month and its on a trckle charger (via sigarete lighter plug) always
    stored in warm well ventillated garage

I feel a little sheepish posting this but I still have the orig battery in my 2001 Z8 Euro. If she sits more than a day or two, she's on the trickle charger. I usually keep one of my keys in the ignition (recalling a tip from Andrew about this helping to keep the key's battery in the pink.) All of the advise I have read says ditch the battery before it ditches you but now I am on a mission to see just how long she lasts.

Edited to add: I use the BMW charger (am on my second charger) Have about 27000 miles and she is stored winters.
    Last edited by jdillane; April 6th 2013 at 18:18. Reason: additional info

I had my moment of horror this week.....my right tail light stopped........
    Ton

Quote Originally Posted by jdillane View Post
    I feel a little sheepish posting this but I still have the orig battery in my 2001 Z8 Euro. If she sits more than a day or two, she's on the trickle charger. I usually keep one of my keys in the ignition (recalling a tip from Andrew about this helping to keep the key's battery in the pink.) All of the advise I have read says ditch the battery before it ditches you but now I am on a mission to see just how long she lasts.

Edited to add: I use the BMW charger (am on my second charger) Have about 27000 miles and she is stored winters.
    When they let go and are on a charger, especially the poor quality deltran charger, they can boil over
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    I guess you want to see how far you can go. Just be sure you are in a place you can get it started again.

I bet the tail light going wasnt fun but as a moment of horror it's not too bad.

My worst one was the top stopping mid way in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I bet the tail light going wasnt fun but as a moment of horror it's not too bad.
    It was not temporary drop out Jerry...but the feared death of the taillight. But it looks BMW is going to start produce again.
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    It was not temporary drop out Jerry...but the feared death of the taillight. But it looks BMW is going to start produce again.
    Yes! In 2014!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Jurgen, I hope not ....BMW NL has received a tight schedule .....but you never know :-(
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    From all I know there are still more then only a "few problems" with the tail lights. Hopefully you will get a proper one. Fingers crossed...
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Wunderlich View Post
    Fingers crossed...
    .....and my 10 toes too
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Im really sorry- I misread your earlier comment. I thought it was a temporary glitch.

No problem Jerry...my remark was not very clear.:-)
    Ton

I'm a dunderhead. Left my key in ignition in the on position and totally drained my battery. While I believe its finally time to retire my original just shy of 14 yrs of faithful service, if I were to get a portable battery jumper which model should I get?

If the next one goes 14 years, why bother?

Cuz I'm a dunderhead!

Btw I ordered the Clore jnc660. If a quick jump revives the battery she might get a reprieve.

Z8Mania
    I'e been really pleased with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackco-ZT50400...battery+jumper

Anyone else have experience with lithium batteries? Mine is going on three years now without problems. I let it discharge totally this winter by accident with no apparent ill effects. It was on the expensive side, 500$, but it's also massively lighter than the lead acid battery.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

carnut
    Surprised to hear of the battery problems. The battery in my silver one lasted 8 years to the day (but only had 3,700 miles on it; does the constant engine starting bring down the life? Since replacement, it has lasted 5.5 years. The black Z8 battery lasted 4 years, has now gone another 8 years. Shouldn't jinx myself. Both replacements were from BMW. As to chargers, I buy Deltrans and have had excellent results. I have 16 of them, and in 15 years have only had one fail (other than the one I destroyed by backing out of the lift.....and not disconnecting the plug....).

Hi JoeA2
    "The Battery info is PC 1350 Group 49 with SAE Terminals. I bought an Odyssey.""
    Are you still using this Odyssey PC 1350 battery and is the footprint similar to OEM battery?
    Thinking of replacing current Interstate Batteries Mega-tron II MT-49/H8 to Odyssey. Cheers Peter

In September of 2015, I installed a Bosch Part # S5594B.

Joe

Battery tip. If the little flashlight is disconnected, it appears to result in less battery drainage. Not sure if correlation is causation here, but it worked for me.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Yes - 16 years - 5 batteries - now leave it on trickle charge all the time.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software