Thread: Headlights

Z8 Novice

Headlights

Sorry to ask the same old questions you guys have already dealt with but I am not sure after reading the past posts if there is a new source for the foggy headlight repair. Asked my dealer and sent an email to Bill at BMW and no help on my 2000 with 30,000 miles. Not that I was expecting help but would have been nice after buying 6 BMW's over the past 25 years. Anyway, does anyone have a good source for new ones for less than full price from the dealer?

Sport Button On
    Hi! I have a pair of US headlights from my 2001 Z8 which I had to replace when I registered it in the UK. The car had done 4300 miles only and the lenses look pretty clear to me. I was actually annoyed I had to change them but they are not adjustable for UK roads. If you are interested I will photo them for you. They are currently stored in the boxes of my new UK ones. Chris

Z8 Novice
    What does "pretty clear" look like? I want no fog at all. Mine are probably 15% foggy and it bothers me, so looking for no fog. I think new is probably in the cards for me. Best price for new I have seen is $1000 each. Anyone know of a better idea or source?

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I would buy new only. I have seen new ones come out of the box and they have been foggy. You must inspect even new ones very carefully. Sitting unsold for years, even in a box, causes some units to fog. $1,000 each is as good as it gets.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Sport Button On
    For your info am attaching a photo of the old US headlights before they were changed. Don't know what you mean by 15% foggy!!! Chris

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Headlights can get lightly or heavily fogged. That is what he probably means by 15% foggy. Some are slightly fogged while others are heavily fogged.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    They changed the US headlights? (Im still on my original set).

I believe he just means replaced, in the conversion to RHD.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Yes, you are right. In England the headlights have to dip to the left - contrary to you in USA and the Z8 headlights are not adjustable for that. Chris

Z8Mania
    Thanks- that makes sense.