Thread: Canon S100

Canon S100

several S100 owners here, so a thread for it probably ok?

sorry to start it on a negative note, just wanted to let you know that Canon has issued a recall on the early units (like mine), due to a manufacturing defect. Looks like the symptom is a stuck extended lens, caused by heat/ humidity.

i'll probably ignore this (until it happens to me!), since i've been using it in all conditions since it was 1st released w/out any problem.

Canon S100 Recall

I have one too, but have been rather disappointed with it so far, I hate that I can't see my picture after taking it, and can't find a way to turn on an image review. I'm so unimpressed that I'm actually thinking of returning it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I have one too, but have been rather disappointed with it so far, I hate that I can't see my picture after taking it, and can't find a way to turn on an image review. I'm so unimpressed that I'm actually thinking of returning it.
    sorry to hear that

if I understood correctly that it doesn't show you a preview of the image you just took, here are the steps to turn on image review:

with the camera on (lens extended),

- press MENU
    - the menu should now show options with a Camera Icon in the tab above highlighted
    - scroll down about 10 options, to see REVIEW (just after WIND FILTER), where you can select duration of the review (2 sec, 3 sec, etc. - sounds like yours is set to OFF)
    - there are additional menu settings for 'what' to display in addition to the preview image (e.g., detailed shooting info, focus check, etc.)

Problem is it is grayed out in very setting except Auto, which is the one setting I never use!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Problem is it is grayed out in very setting except Auto, which is the one setting I never use!
    i think i found the problem (since i never use Auto, i knew there had to be a way)

try this:

if you go to the "Single/Continuous Shooting" settings (just below the Bracketing function), accessed by pressing the center Func.Set button, you have the options of 1. Single Shot, 2. Continuous, and 3. Continuous AF.

Turns out option 3 will disable the Review function - so you need to use option 2 (Continuous) instead (I vaguely recalling having this problem as well when i 1st got it)

these menus that change (or have different options) depending on camera modes can be very frustrating - especially if one has multiple camera bodies & brands! not user friendly/ intuitive in many cases. this is also one reason why i'm holding off on a new DSLR - i finally feel comfortable with all the options and menus (and idiosyncrasies) of the DSLR I have been using for a while ;-)

Thank you, that solved it - ok, now I might give it a reprieve, at least until Sony get some good lenses for the NEX system!

Since I've had a dozen Canon pocket cams, from the earliest little snappers to the G12, I found this one really hard to learn to use. I hate the way they can't keep to a simple, single interface concept that remains consistent, it often seems like the changes are there for no good reason except to make changes, it's as annoying as it you bought a new car with the throttle and brake pedal swapped around just for the hell of it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Mine does it and I often use the P mode because I want to force flash on. I don't know anything more than that. The images compared to the Panny GX1 seem to lack quite a bit of detail. Overall I like the camera but I don't love it. I wish the flash was stronger but its understandable because its small.

Anyone put their hands on an RX100 yet?

The one thing I really liked about the S100 is the ability to adjust settings with the ring around the lens. Have you guys dissevered that? It opens up the interface some. Still, it's very fiddly.
    thegunguy

I'd only used it for aperture and shutter speed, nothing else - can it do anything else?
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, it will do ISO, EV, WB, and some others. As recall you can customize it some.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Im afraid to mess with it because it seems too easy to change. On a small camera like that I want to pull it out of my pocket and "go to guns" immediately.

Im impressed with the GX1 and the S100 is a fine pocket camera. I have an order in on the RX100 because it just looks too good for me to resist and I have a family member looking for a new pocket camera so I figure one of these will go to her (probably the S100).

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I have an order in on the RX100 because it just looks too good for me to resist
    I'm super interested in what you think. It looks to be a stunner.
    thegunguy

Yeah, after another two days struggling with the S100 I'm finally done with it, and at this point Canon too, I think the RX100 will be my next go round at a pocket cam.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Will do Rifle. Im sure it will be excellent.