Thread: McLaren SLR

Team Z8

McLaren SLR

Hey guys. The prices on these things have really come down. Have any of you had any experience with them? Marty, what are your thoughts on them as a value proposition going foward?
    Thanks!

I live in an area with a lot of expensive cars. I've seen at least 2 of these driving around here - a silver and a red one (almost hit the silver one in the Z8 a few weeks ago!)

Of all the supercars out there, the McLaren SLR is the most understated of all of them, frankly it looks just like any other Mercedes 2 seater unless you know what it is.

For the type of people who tend to buy supercars, I think this very understated look may reduce the number of them willing to buy one, which will then reduce resale prices.

Z8Mania
    I guess its subjective because I think its one of the most flamboyant looking super cars out there. I also think its one of the most confused. MBZ wanted a heavy cruiser. McLaren wanted a light super car. And this is the result. I know of a SLR roadster for sale if you want the info let me know. It seems to me to be insanely expensive. Getting snake bit with the SLR is also the reason McLaren didn't lead with the F1 successor and instead went with the MP412C..........

I think there could be an SLS - SLR mix up going on here?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    OK just for clarification, my comments apply to

Not:

Yep, and they're both ugly as sin, over weight, over computered wingless executive jets stuck on terra firma, makes one think of the DoDo.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I have to say I drove a friends SLS AMG and while I agree with your criticism, they do have to make it relatively safe for the average driver and thats where the computers come in. The SLS really isn't that heavy for what it is and it is a hoot to drive due to the torque and the NASCAR sound. Its not really my thing and I wish AMG didn't go for that sound, but it appears I'm in the vast minority on that one. Never the less, I enjoyed it and as it was meant to compete with the 599 Ferrari, I'd say it competes pretty well. I'd still take the 599 though because its simply more special, more of an occasion to drive it and theres nothing like that V12 with its smaller pistons moving more freely causing the revs to sing to the stratosphere.

And NON nascar sound!

Z8Mania
    Oh yeah.

But to get back to the original point/ it seems to me prices on all cars aside from the vintage ones and the two modern collectable ones (Z8, Ford GT) is down. So I think it's a buyers market. My guess is these cars will continue to fall until they find a floor. But if you like it, and can afford it, then I say: get it! Just understand that here on planet Earth, most cars depreciate. Even ones we appreciate

Team Z8
    Yea, I was asking about the Mclaren SLR, top photo. With all the carbon fiber and power I thought it may be an opportunity to steal a car that was truly spectacular.

Z8 Novice
    I am new to this forum (angling for a Z8 as we speak), but thought that I might be able to offer some background on the SLR versus some other offerings. I was considering the SLR as a replacement for my 550M to fill the GT role, but have determined that a 599 is the better choice for that and expect to be looking for one of those in the somewhat near term. The SLR, though brutally quick, is saddled with a 5-speed slushbox and a very brittle ride. The latter is particularly disappointing considering the car's GT aspirations. If you are looking for a sport-focused GT with a monster top-end, then the 599 is your car. If you are looking for a limited-run "supercar" that is likely to maintain value over the long haul, then you should look at Carrera GTs (or, for that matter, Ford GTs). The SLR is an odd hybrid of supercar and GT that ends-up being great at neither role. It also is quite expensive to maintain (replacing the carbon brakes is particularly frightening in that regard). The new MB/AMG SLS is a better car, overall, but still has a long way to fall from a depreciation standpoint. The SLR is by no means a bad car, but it does have a confused mission and the market is acknowledging its shortcomings.

Team Z8
    Thank you very much JSA. That was very helpful. I am currently thinking of moving up from a P 98 C2S to accompany my beloved Z8. I think you will really appreciate your upcoming purchase; and welcome to the community. The community here speaks volumes about the way we all feel about our cars!

The back three quarters aren't bad, but no way I could look at that nose on a regular basis.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by skicoach View Post
    Thank you very much JSA. That was very helpful. I am currently thinking of moving up from a P 98 C2S to accompany my beloved Z8. I think you will really appreciate your upcoming purchase; and welcome to the community. The community here speaks volumes about the way we all feel about our cars!
    I have coveted a Z8 for a long time, and even managed to attend the BMWNA DE experience in SC in 2001 with the original owner of the car that I plan to acquire. I am very much looking forward to joining your ranks. Your 993 will be tough to replace! Last year, I sold a 964 that is still sorely missed. That car was bulletproof in the 12 years that I owned it (put over 120K miles on it). The build quality on the air-cooled stuff is difficult to match. An air-cooled 911 and a front-mounted GT make for a great pairing. What is your rationale for moving from the 993?

Team Z8
    In reality, probably just automotive mental exercise. My C2S is a real pleasure as well. It is a very rare color and has only 25xxx miles.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by skicoach View Post
    In reality, probably just automotive mental exercise. My C2S is a real pleasure as well. It is a very rare color and has only 25xxx miles.
    I understand that feeling. What color (if you are willing to share)? A low-mile, final year, widebody 993 would be a keeper in my book. I sold my 964 due to the spaceship miles and the fact that it was a C4, which is less desirable in P enthusiast circles for good reason. Had it been a Turbo, Speedster, RSA, or USA Carrera Cup, I likely would still own it, mileage notwithstanding. I often get the itch for a 993TT or TTS, which will need to be scratched at some point. The air-cooled cars are great machines. Sure, they are not objectively better than the new stuff, but they do have a jewel-like, lasting character about them that is tough to put into words.

Z8Mania
    JSA, I think you nailed it and the 599 prices have really fallen. I would suggest that is a car worthy of looking at for ski coach. Yes its not CF construction, but its from a storied marque- and the motor is a masterpiece. I disagree a little bit on the CGT- I think they will hold up better than some others- but they made many, and the deferred maintenance costs on those cars are astronomical ($20k to change the battery! )

Team Z8
    To be honest guys, the F cars have always scared me away due to the reported maintenance costs. The 599 seems a masterpiece however. My P is Mirage metallic with cashmere. It's like a champagne gold and was actually built on the last day of US production.

Z8Mania
    I can understand that. I can look through my service records if you like and calculate the average running cost excluding things like wheels and tires- Ive bent a few They aren't any worse in that dept than any other car or wheel. If I had to guess, I'd say the avg. annual service cost so far has been like $2,000. Far more than the Z8. How would a SLR compare? I don't know but the thing that would scare me is the forced induction motor. Also if the insurance company ever figures out just how expensive that would be to repair in an accident because you generally don't repair the CF structure, you just replace it.

Sport Button On
    Lots of fun cars brought up in this thread! I've had both the Ferrari 550 and 599 and currently own both a Z8 and a Ferrari 575. While the 599 is easily the fastest, in my experience I found it the least fun to drive. Similar to the SLS and SLR, it has a HUGE nose and the car just plain drives and feels big. Other than hammering the throttle and going insanely fast, I found the car to be a bit of a dissapointment.

IMO, the Maranellos (both 550 and 575) are more fun to drive than the 599. The 550s in particular are a fairly good value right now (under $75K for a nice one) and in a 6 speed manual it is a very hearty car and if bought right isn't expensive to maintain. There is something special about a V12 Ferrari and if you want to check that box then a 550 is a great option.

I haven't owned an SLR or SLS but have spent considerable time driving each. I personally prefer the more limited and 'cartoonish' SLR vs the SLS. Both Benz's sound amazing, even at low revs and that adds a lot or the driving experience. I would favor the Maranello vs. either the SLR or SLS, but not by a lot.

Which leads to the Z8. The Z8 is closer to a sports car than any of the other GT cars and in many ways it is more fun to drive as it is more nimble. Since all of these cars were or are limited use for me, I find the Z8 the most exciting to use and if I could choose only one it would be the Z8. If it was a car that I'd want to use on a more regular basis, the Maranello, or perhaps the SLR with the automatic would win out.

Z8Mania

Smile

Interesting. I find my 599 to be far more sporting than the Z8. However, the Z8 is more fun to drive slowly. The 599 really comes alive as you push- and the harder you push the more alive it becomes- whereas with the Z8 the more you push the faster it's shortcomings become apparent. I should say I swapped out the suspension for the HGTE and it was on par with doing the Alpina on the Z8- a worthwhile change. I wish they made a good stick for the 599 but sadly the stick shift on the 599 was poorly done. I do think the 550/575s are some of the best values out there but over time those belt driven motors will be more expensive- if that matters.

Sport Button On
    Good points and I agree that the 599 comes alive at high speeds. The problem for me was that there are just so few opportunities for the car to truly stretch its legs.

I think you raise an interesting point relative the the 6 speed option. Throughout the last decade most people (me included) preferred the Ferrari F1 gearbox because it was new and cool and easier to use than the manual. Now, with the passage of time, the technology has evolved with the double clutch so quickly that what was industry leading in 2000-2006 feels antiquated now by comparison. I expect that over time the early F1 gearbox cars will be less sought after and the technology agnostic 6-speeds that were lower production (because of demand) will be the most sought after cars of that era.

Z8Mania
    I agree with this but that's any tech. Ferraris become dated because they are about high tech at the time and then it's just old tech. The 599 6 speed will always be a poor implementation. The F1 in the 599 is prett good and I don't think it suffers because if the DCT. As a matter of fact, for a paddle car, I think the 599 and scud single clutch F1 systems are more sporting feeling and also weigh something like 150lbs less. But just for clarification- you don't have to go so fast in the 599- it's just how hard you're pushing on it. It's like a cross between an M6 and AMG coupe- but
    Closer to the M6 and an order of magnitude higher. It does also improve with speed- you can feel the car settling in around 80+ mph. But that's when it's in highway cruiser mode. For back roads you just have to be willing to grab it by the scruff of its neck , or be relaxed and just be willing for it to be relaxed in return.

Z8Mania
    Another thought here is whatever you look at, look at something with a stick shift. They just are not making them anymore.