Thread: Rearview mirror

Z8 Novice

Rearview mirror

What is the best plan of action to fix the mirror bubble? BMW wouldn't do anything for me. Thanks for the help.

The Z8 Club can fix it, you have to remove it and ship it to Germany. Of course you need to be a member of the Club, but everyone should be anyway.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I didnt realize that I had not joined. I guess I joined the Z8 board not the club. Can you send me in the right direction to join the club and also fix the mirror?
    Thanks for your help.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I put a new mirror in my car last year. My cost was about $300 and it is easy to install. Just follow the directions. Took me a total of ten minutes.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Yes, just click the link to the left, or go here to join - http://www.z8-club.de/
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsracer66 View Post
    I didnt realize that I had not joined. I guess I joined the Z8 board not the club. Can you send me in the right direction to join the club and also fix the mirror?
    Thanks for your help.
    That's a common misconception. While it's a wonderful resource, this site is just a casual community of Z8 owners that is lovingly overseen by Andrew with the purpose of documenting information and experiences on the car. The Z8 Club in Germany is the official organization for Z8 owners that is recognized by BMW as one of the few model specific clubs. They provide great interaction with BMW Classic, which is the organization at BMW that supports out of production vehicles all the way back to the Dixi. This interaction is crucial in ensuring the availability of parts from BMW and working on solutions to issues like the Performance Pack. Andrew is currently the North American representative to the Z8 Club.

Just participating in this site does not constitute membership in any organization, and I strongly encourage all owners to join the actually Z8 Club as there is no better group for supporting the long-term enjoyment of our cars. At last count, there are about 50 owners in the US that are part of the Z8 Club. We need more.

As Andrew said - see the link to the left.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Mine went bad last year, I contacted BMWNA, they replaced the part free of charge but they would only ship it to a dealer. I had to pay for the install. I was very pleased with the help and response

DSC Off

Very very easy

Every one.........take the mirror off send it to http://www.sybesmas.com/home.html
    95.00......repaired and back in one week.

Have a great day!
    Z84.6Jim

DSC Off

instructions

Removal simply involved rotating mirror at its mounting point counterclockwise slightly less than 1/4 turn using gentle pressure and taking care not to "rock" mirror backwards or forward along it mounting axis as you are removing it. The mirror essentially twists off. Rocking back and forth would risk breaking mounting point and damaging windscreen.

Reverse procedure for reattachment. All in all took about 5 minutes.
    Z84.6Jim

I guess what I didn't make clear is the Z8 Club's replacement doesn't use the destructive chemicals that are inside the Sybesmas units, and the fix is permanent. If you simply send your unit to Sybesmas you are in effect just kicking the can down the road, and giving this stupid design another chance to leak all over the inside of your car destroying everything it touches.
    Andrew Macpherson

What is the club turn around time and cost?

Does the new factory unit available solve the problem permanently?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

The Club's unit is a non chemical glass, so it solves the issue, I'm not sure on cost and turnaround time is just a couple of days there, plus shipping.

I cannot say exactly what chemicals the new Sybesmas units have inside them, but it is my understanding they are just straight replacements, not upgrades, so the same issue will arise with them again in the future.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Mac........when I called Symbesas they said they put a non chemical glass in with no chemicals??
    Z84.6Jim

Sport Button On
    That is true...I had my E39 M5 mirror done by them, and it is without fluids. Works great and looks great.

That's great to know, and I'd recommend everyone consider doing it at the first sign of the delimitation because the fluid in the original mirrors is very destructive.
    Andrew Macpherson

I called up the company today because I got the dreaded bubble of death in my mirror last week. They told me they use a different gell based material, price was $95 including shipping and expect about a week total turn around time. I hope the removal of the unit is as easy as you guys say.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by z84.6jim View Post
    Removal simply involved rotating mirror at its mounting point counterclockwise slightly less than 1/4 turn using gentle pressure and taking care not to "rock" mirror backwards or forward along it mounting axis as you are removing it. The mirror essentially twists off. Rocking back and forth would risk breaking mounting point and damaging windscreen.

Reverse procedure for reattachment. All in all took about 5 minutes.
    Great info. I need to send mine out to Sybesmas for repair before it fails further and leaks! Couple of questions about removal process:
    * Does removing the mirror have any effect on the alarm or locking system while the mirror is out?
    * Do you first have to disconnect battery power before removing the mirror?
    * Do you disconnect the cable/plug connection before or after twisting the mirror off?

Thanks!
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

So, which is it? Liquid-free, gel, other? Seems like we have conflicting reports on Symbesas.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    No effect on alarm
    No need to disconnect battery
    Disconnect before or after
    You mail your mirror to symbesas then they call you for your cc info
    Total 7 working days from your mailing to them and getting it back
    Z84.6Jim

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Quote Originally Posted by z84.6jim View Post
    No effect on alarm
    No need to disconnect battery
    Disconnect before or after
    You mail your mirror to symbesas then they call you for your cc info
    Total 7 working days from your mailing to them and getting it back
    Jim,
    I just noticed that you're in PA. Which side - East or West? Any chance you'll be at Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix in July? Great event, Weekend of July 21-22 this year. (http://www.pvgp.org/pvgp-events/race-weekend-events/) BTW, I'm in Chevy Chase, just outside DC. I'll be driving up early Saturday and parking at the BMW Car Club Corral.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Z8Mania
    Josh if you have a problem doing the removal/ install Im sure your dealer can handle it and if not I can give you the name of a good shop in Westchester that does great custom work.

DSC Off
    Hey Doug

I am in Center City Philadelphia 6 blocks from the Liberty Bell.

I would not drive to Pittsburgh as it is a 6 hour drive on the Pennsylvania Turnpike which is the ugliest, boring trip ever.

Come up and visit, park in my garages and if you need any thing done on your Z8, I have my own BMW garage connected to my factories and we will take care of it for you and then we can tool around and I will show you the city. This goes for any one on our board. http://www.traceyinc.com/index.php?o...id=3&Itemid=18

Have a great day. Jim
    Z84.6Jim

Jim,

Too bad Pittsburgh is such a long, lousy drive away for you! (For anyone else who's closer, I can guarantee you'd enjoy the weekend -- total car guy overload!)

Thanks for the offer to come up & visit. I may well take you up on it later this year. Of course, I'd check with you ahead of time to make sure it would be convenient. Doug
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

I have a mirror alternative, thanks to references from my Z8 friends in Dallas and Pat Arnold at Classic BMW in Dallas, who has been a great resource. The mirror was pretty easy to twist off and disconnect the electrical connection, per instructions posted above. Things like the electrical door and trunk locks did not work while it was off, but resumed when it was replaced. I dropped off the mirror at noon with Scott Wheeler of Radar-Mirror, and had new glass, and the mirror re-installed that evening, all for $99. His website also does custom radar installs. Website, phone and email info below. Scott claimed that BMW's manufacturer for a run of the mirrors used on the Z8 was the problem, and they have not had the problem with other mirrors since discontinuing the use of that manufacturer.

Scott Wheeler
    [email protected]
    www.radar-mirror.com
    972-571-7427
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    Charles, thank you, thats a tremendous resource. Well done!