Thread: 2003 Alpina $280,000!

2003 Alpina $280,000!

Alpina for the very rich!

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/3925183.htm

2001 Z8 Silver/Red

Wow, the prices are going bananas, which is good for all our Alpina owners!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    WOW!!!!!!!!! Thats got to be an outlier but still.

I'll part with mine for 500,000. Asking for it doesn't mean I'll get it. I think outlier is an understatement
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Z8Mania
    Thats right. As a data point I was offered $130k on my 2000 car with nearly 30k miles last summer. Totally unsolicited. I declined.

Z8 Madness
    That is crazy. The black/red one on eBay is available for $100K less. Fewer miles too.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Here's a black/red more "reasonably" priced at $249K and with 621 miles. These are wild prices... makes you wonder if these folks really want to sell their cars.

http://www.carsonlinefree.com/search...hicleID=259976

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    The only way any commodity goes up is when someone will pay a higher price for it. Look at the aluminum 300SL gullwing, one of 29 built, that sold in Scottsdale in January. RM Auctions had a pre sale high estimate of 3.5 million. It sold for 4.2 million plus buyer's premium, so 4.65 million. The very next day Barrett Jackson sold a steel bodied gullwing, which had an estimated value of 1.25 million, for 2 million plus buyer's premium or 2.2 million. Every 300SL, gullwing or roadster, that was on the market all suddenly went up by one to two hundred thousand dollars and they are selling. Call it crazy if you like but it benefits all Z8 owners when new highs are paid for our cars. It is a good thing.

P.S. Look at what is happening with art. "The Scream", one of four our five originally made, just brought 120 million! To me, our cars are like art, so therefore they should continue to appreciate.
    P.P.S. Be looking on the board soon for a superb silver/red 6,500 mile one owner Alpina. I believe it will be $180,000. Worth every penny.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    You're right Marty.

Agreed, Marty. That's how the creeping of prices goes, and market or not, it just takes a few examples to move the goal posts.

Part of this premium has got to do with the color combo. Both examples are Black/Red, which is probably under 6% of the Alpina run - so, ~30 cars. Buyers seeking exclusivity can do well to go with the Alpina, and for more exclusivity they're interested in the rarity of the color. The fact that they're all 2003s and generally low miles certainly helps.

Honestly, $250k for a reliable exotic beauty with tremendous future value over it's original $150k sticker isn't that shocking to me at all.
    thegunguy

To me, this is one of those good news, bad news deals.

The good news is that your car is appreciating...The bad news is that your car is appreciating and at this rate it will soon be undrivable.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

I'm leaning toward the philosophy that once it becomes so valuable that the stress of damage overtakes the joy of driving, it's time to sell. For me, that threshold is pretty high.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Amen to that. In terms of appreciation, just drive it more, that will slow that pesky appreciation!

Even when I first bought it, it was too valuable to drive... but did that stop me?

Does any one know how many Z8s are still on the road? I suppose we could tally up vehicle registration #s but that would exclude the cars squirreled away on private collections. I am curious if our car after ten plus years has escaped the fate of many high powered exotics. Bought by sports stars/celebrities and others with more money than brains who turned their cars into expensive wads of tin foil. I am guessing there are about 5000 left.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    cdv modifacation
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    Dinan pedal set

12% loss over ten years for a car that averages 2k miles per year sounds a bit high to me. We've only seen a handful of badly wrecked cars. I'd guess that most cars are still going along just fine.
    thegunguy

But with the exchange rate of the last few years we have a pretty good guestimate that as many as a 1000 of the 2700 US spec cars have gone back to Europe, so there are around 1700 left in North Americas.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    But with the exchange rate of the last few years we have a pretty good guestimate that as many as a 1000 of the 2700 US spec cars have gone back to Europe, so there are around 1700 left in North Americas.
    My guess is that the reimportation will slow down dramatically with what's happening with Greece ,Spain ,italy and ultimately the euro.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    cdv modifacation
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    Dinan pedal set

Yes, if the EU collapses we may even see some return!
    Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8
    You never know. The people with paper cash in EU will likely be looking for places to put their assets.

Z8Mania
    Yeah but look at the luxury car tax Italy has imposed. You will have to pay taxes every year on the Z8. And they sounded pretty steep to me. It blows me away that a country known for cars will now penalize those owning these cars.... in the long run that can only hurt the country. To me they have food, clothing/ fashion, and automobiles. You want to damage the marketing of one of those pillars of the economy? Its shortsighted to me. If taxes have to be raised then do it but I wouldn't do it like this.

Z8 Madness
    For me, 250K would be the mark. Above that, and I'll be really uncomfortable driving it around.

I guess that means my car is for sale for 250K
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    If taxes have to be raised then do it but I wouldn't do it like this.
    There is a strong sentiment in Italy that the guys driving around in Ferraris are the ones cheating on their taxes.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    There is a strong sentiment in Italy that the guys driving around in Ferraris are the ones cheating on their taxes.
    Forget about cheating, if everyone driving around in Ferraris quit paying their taxes tomorrow, Italy would still be in the same predicament.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

The Euro collapse is currently under way. Parity with the dollar is not an impossible target in the next few years.....

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    Singling people out because of what they have is the beginning of a descent down a slippery slope that ends in a very dark place.

How long before nice homes are raided? Ladies wearing diamond rings get arrested for interrogation? Etc. How soon after are people who look different then become suspect because there is strong sentiment against them?????

And yes, if you taxed all the high end car owners of Italy 100% on all their income I suspect you wouldn't dent the problems. Therefore this is a smokescreen designed to divert attention from the problems and point blame in the wrong place. Rather than pointing blame, maybe the country should be trying to figure out how to get out of the mess. And now they have to deal with the tragedy of the earthquakes. 30% of their GDP occurs in the affected regions.

Why is it that people who have worked hard all their lives and have been able to accomplish something are singled out to be punished? Whatever happened to The American Dream?
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Amen!!

But Of course were talking about Italy here. The bottom line is if they make these people feel uncomfortable enough, they'll leave. And what happens to the country then?

OT joke. Why is Italy shaped like a boot?
    Answer: Because they couldn't fit all that #>%#]#% into a shoe!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Funny. Yet, if that boot fails, we're all in big trouble.

Read an article in the FT or Economist (forget which) along the lines of prices of Ferraris in Italy are falling because everyone is selling to avoid the attention of tax authorities.

If you want to talk about idiotic tax authorities, we can start with the US. Even though I have lived in Switzerland for 14 years, I still have to pay US taxes. Now I can't have a bank account here because of the reporting requirements that the US has imposed on foreign banks with US citizens as clients. It's not worth it for them to have US clients.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Yes I agree. The US system is so complicated and riddled with loopholes that it is fair to call it corrupt and unfair. We sorely need a reboot.

Absolutely, and it should start with the Fed. The IRS and income taxes in the USA are all directly traceable to the formation of the Fed.

We are all paying taxes to support the Rockerfeller/Rothschild/Warburg et al banking quagmire that was set up via bribery and corruption in exchange for Woodrow Wilson's political campaign. That really marked the beginning of the end for the USA, since then every dollar issued has been issued from dept payable by us to America's third national bank, the privately held Federal Reserve System. This is the truth of our national debt, and it's fair to say it is the greatest con trick ever perpetrated on the people of any nation.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Amen to that Andrew!