Thread: Taillight Lenses

Taillight Lenses

Any yellow and red tailight's or lenses available anywhere?
    Dealer Part # 6321692352-5/left 6/right and of course they want alot of dough.
    Jim

They will be expensive....

because you can't just change the lenses. You have to replace the complete unit due to the unique design of the specially made curved neon lamps. The all red US Spec ones will likely be the same cost because the sealed unit construction contains all the electrical bits, twin neon tubes, housing, lens etc, etc.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Hi Andrew,

My right tailight blinker-signal tube is faulty and I am advised I must buy an entirely new light module for $900. Do you know if I can obtain just the bulb and, if so, it can be installed without many hours of work?
    Thanks!
    Kerry

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to access the rear signal lights. Unlike most vehicles that have access to the bulbs from inside the trunk, the Z8 is not that simple. If I remember correctly, the upper bumper cover must be removed to access the rear light assembly. So, it's not an easy task.

You are correct. The bulbs are not sold individually. So, you must buy the full assembly ($881 according to RealOEM). Don't forget most service centers will give you a 10% parts discount with a CCA membership.

While some owners have had issues with the lights, they supposedly spec'd/designed to exceed the life of the vehicle. Thus servicing them (replacing bulbs) was not anticipated to be a common issue, and thus accessing them was not made easy.
    Last edited by thegunguy; May 24th 2007 at 22:37.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Just had a rear light replaced here in the UK the part cost just over $1200 plus fitting , apparently if the bulb goes there is no alternative than replacing the unit. Ouch !!!

I replaced the whole unit last year. And yes the bumper cover has to be removed. I`m still keeping the old unit. I wonder if it could be repaired. I will take it to an auto electrician next weekend and will see what will happen.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Z8 Novice

Neon???

Can't we find someone who could fix them, or overhauled them?
    I had mine replaced last week. lucky i had kept 2 from an Alpina that i've sent to Europe 2 years ago. Europeen regulation had ask me to change them for the orange/ red one.
    Kind regards.
    Stephane.

Z8 Novice
    I have the same problem. The right taillight on my 2000 Euro is out. Here is what I found out so far:
    - The bulbs cannot be replaced. You need to purchase the entire assembly.
    - The retail for a new American version is about $800. I found 1 place to get the Euro version and they wanted $1600.
    - To install the light the rear bumber has to be pulled appart. This took me and a friend about 4 hours.
    - There are some junk yards that have the American version that you can get for about $400.
    - The problem is they have no good way of testing them and the Brake light / Turn Indicator / Lights all need to be tested
    - I have already purchased two faulty ones

It seems to me that BMW should be held responsible for this horrible design. Who ever heard of spending this much money to replace a light?

I am not surprised to hear that you have bought two faulty ones, what happens with these, and all other neon bulbs, is that they loose their gas over time. Even if you buy a brand new one it couldd have the same issue, as they were all manufactured during the same period.

This is a known issue, and the Z8 Club in Germany are working to create an alternative solution using LED's. If you join the Z8 Club this will help support them in their efforts to provide us with what we need to keep our cars fresh, and strengthen their voice dealing with BMW in Munich.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I's in, how do I join?

Just click on this link, and join up - www.z8-club.de
    Andrew Macpherson