Thread: BF Goodrich tires for Stock 18" Setup

BF Goodrich tires for Stock 18" Setup

Many of the manufacturers have discontinued our stock sized summer performance tires including Michelin (PS2) and Continental (Extreme Contact DW). I just had a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires installed and they are terrific. They are reported to be based on Michelin's PS2 architecture and tread material, but at a Goodrich price point. Michelin produces and distributes Goodrich tires.
    This is the best that the car has handled since the last set of PS2's several tire changes and brands ago. I'm really looking forward to wearing them out.

This is good news...options continue. I was not aware that Michelin owns BF Goodrich. I like the idea of PS2s for less!
    thegunguy

I thought I'd post a shot of the tire from Tire Rack. Compound, etc. may be based on the PS2, but the tread pattern is more like the PS A/S.

These show to be recently added for my style 166 19" wheels too.

thegunguy

I had expected some squirm looking at the design, but was assured that the sidewalls were reinforced to counteract that. So far I've experienced very straight response to hard acceleration with no wiggle, smooth grip on tight high speed radii, and none of the highway tramlining that plagued the last few sets. I'll keep a close watch on the possible chunky delamination that is a problem with the PS A/S in the hot Texas weather.

"produce and distributes" may not mean owns...

In my surprise, I checked. It's a wholly owned subsidiary.
    thegunguy

According to Wikipedia,

"Even though B.F. Goodrich is still a popular brand name of tires, the Goodrich Corporation exited the tire business in 1988. The tire business and use of the name was sold to Michelin" "In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal"

Z8Mania
    So its like a cousin tire. It makes sense. Bottom line is how they drive and it seems like they are doing the job nicely Ken - thats wonderful

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    I had expected some squirm looking at the design, but was assured that the sidewalls were reinforced to counteract that. So far I've experienced very straight response to hard acceleration with no wiggle, smooth grip on tight high speed radii, and none of the highway tramlining that plagued the last few sets. I'll keep a close watch on the possible chunky delamination that is a problem with the PS A/S in the hot Texas weather.
    Ken thanks for the post on these tires. I'm just having the original run flats replaced on my newly acquired baby (02, less than 1000 miles on the car). Aside from the performance of the Comp- 2's how do you like the profile and how they look on your car? These tires are also 2 pounds lighter on each corner than say the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's which is a plus. I'm just in the process of having the PP install done as well.

I'm a new guy on block and would like to thank Andrew and everyone for the fabulous amount of detail, information and pure joy you create and share for all.

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome. You will see a world of difference when you get the run flats off the car.
    I'm very pleased with the visual that these tires have. The tread pattern that is shown in the photo above is not as visible in person with the tires appearing large and aggressive, as they should for this car. A few hundred more miles since the initial drive home have further convinced me that these are fun tires.
    You've got quite a gem there with less than 1000 miles, but this car was meant to drive so enjoy every mile!

Pretty decent size selection too. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2

Ken, I assume you went stock sizing, do they appear wider than the stock tires? I know you said the look wide so I am re-asking the question in terms of relativity to stock sizes. Thanks

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    Fantastic. Great to have choices.

I have used BFG's on many cars and trucks over the last 3 decades.

Even before Michelin bought them, they built what was usually the best tire in their respective segment, regardless of price.

Looks like a way to get a PS2 type tire for a great price and not worry about eating them up too fast.
    2000 Red over black

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Pretty decent size selection too. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2

Ken, I assume you went stock sizing, do they appear wider than the stock tires? I know you said the look wide so I am re-asking the question in terms of relativity to stock sizes. Thanks

Yes, somehow the contact patch width on these tires, measured by the road dirt on it where it contacted the road without aggressive cornering, measure about an inch wider than the Conti DW in the same stock sizes. Compared side to side, these appear "square-er" than the Contis or Hankook V-12. The tread appears to be equal to the widest part of the tire whereas the others have a more rounded middle and the contact area tucked back a bit from the maximum width.

Many of the manufacturers have discontinued our stock sized summer performance tires including Michelin (PS2) and Continental (Extreme Contact DW). I just had a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires installed and they are terrific. They are reported to be based on Michelin's PS2 architecture and tread material, but at a Goodrich price point. Michelin produces and distributes Goodrich tires.
    This is the best that the car has handled since the last set of PS2's several tire changes and brands ago. I'm really looking forward to wearing them out.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'm having the BFG Comp2's installed tomorrow on the OEM rims.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

DSC Off
    I put the 18" GForce tires on my standard rims 400 miles ago based on KenZ recommendation. Super tires! No rain yet, but a huge difference over the stock RFTs feel and ride. Highly recommended...

Tom

Z8Mania
    This is great feedback!

3K miles and they're still great. Glad others are enjoying them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    I put the 18" GForce tires on my standard rims 400 miles ago based on KenZ recommendation. Super tires! No rain yet, but a huge difference over the stock RFTs feel and ride. Highly recommended...

Tom
    I echo Tom's comments. Any recommendations between the BMW and the Slime Smart mobility kits?
    My Best,

Ed

I bought the BMW one just for the OEM-ness, but that's all I can really add. Thankfully, it's a better rebranded part than the terrible Deltran charger that they sell for crazy money.
    thegunguy

I carry both, and a set of tire plugs too, but that's because with four to ten cars when we're out I want to have all eventualities covered!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I carry both, and a set of tire plugs too, but that's because with four to ten cars when we're out I want to have all eventualities covered!
    Thanks Andrew for having our back! PPBMW is on the way to work, so I'll just pick up a kit there if there's no stated preference.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    He's not kidding. I've seen the Snap-On truck hidden in his truck. Between tools and photo equipment, I fully understand why Andrew's road uniform is a white T-shirt.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I wish there was a small spare that could fit in the trunk.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I just put the Goodrich G force Sport Comp2s on my stock 18" wheels. AWESOME tires. Very aggressive tread pattern and a great looking sidewall. Haven't driven the car much yet but I think I'm going to like these better than the Michelins.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    Tell me more tell me more
    Like does he have a car?

DSC Off
    A quick update on the BF Goodrich tires I put on over the summer. Super tires in the summer, but in colder weather they are scary! 30~35 degrees and you better be paying attention if you get your foot into, and thank goodness for traction control! I normally drive with it off, but goosing it a little to pass the other day and it got squirrely at 60 mph real quick like. Not used to driving sideways while passing someone, at least not intentionally! These tires get unusually hard in cold weather and care must be taken. Warmed up and they are great. I know they are summer tires, but a little traction with this car is always nice.
    An FYI...

Tom

I have the same issue with my Pirelli's on our frosty winter drives. We often see 32?f - 0?c on the north side of the Malibu hills, and as Old Baillie & I discovered, the cold does decrease traction!
    Andrew Macpherson

32 degrees? I'm staying home in bed.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    32 degrees? I'm staying home in bed.
    I would have to stay in bed for three months...
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Thanks for the heads up on the BFG tires' cold temperature performance! I enjoy cool morning drives with the top down, heater blasting, seat heater on and with Bruce Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town playing. In my part of California we drop into the thirties only in Dec/Jan.
    My Best,

Ed

Oddly enough down here we get the cold desert morning effect from Dec through to as late as April sometimes. Jan & Feb are the coldest, but also the clearest you can see for ever ones too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Lots of modern High Performance tires are poor in the cold weather. Most manufacturers admit it right up front in their literature. I have PZeros and Bridgestone Scuderias that are not recommended to be used when under 40 degrees F.
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    Thats right. A good rule of thumb is if the air outside is 45?F outside or lower, don't think you will have the same traction and it really decreases as temps go down.

Also- when the tires do lose traction- don't go doing hard starts where the feel the rear tires bouncing around (kind of a "duh duh duh" kind of sound)- that kind of oscillation/ frequency can do damage to the rear (or front if FWD) components.

Z8 Novice
    I just bought my Z8 and it came with Michelin (PS2), does this mean the PS2 in our size is discontinued?

Michelin no longer makes a tire that fits the original 18" Z8 wheel.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Did they discontinue the 18s? For a while they made the PS2s.

They did for the size we need on the Z8 wheels.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z8 Novice

Goodrich G force Sport Comp2s

I put a set on my Z8 last June, car sat till Oct, they flat spotted really really bad, after the tire dealer said they would only pay 50% I ran them in 70 degree temp around town then on freeway, they seemed to have come back. But really flat spotting?? I have had a little but never that bad where you couldn't drive over 40 mph..gonna have to take weight off car during periods of inactivity.

Z8Mania
    Or use tire cradles. Im a big proponent: http://www.tirecradle.com

DSC Off
    My car sits for extended periods of time, but I follow the recommendation of the Z8 Club, Andrew on this Forum, and BF Goodrich; over-inflate them while it's sitting to 48~50 psi. I have not had issues since.

Tom
    Z8LVR