Thread: Cambria 2012 - postcards from the road.

Cambria 2012 - postcards from the road.

This is why I love California!

A group of us meet up in Valencia in the north of LA to head up to the central coast on the back roads. Leaving LA we take the 5 north to Mt Frazier, then cross over mountains on a beautiful roller coaster of a road that cuts through to Maricopa, on to Taft and the 58 over to Paso and down to the coast on the 46.

After lunch three cars meander up the beautiful Santa Rosa Rd and along Vineyard Drive to get some olive oil at Pasolivo.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Looks great. Is that all bug splatter on the second to last photo? OMG !!

Z8Mania
    Beautiful!!!! Well done.

Yes, the bugs were strange this year, all super low to the ground as you can see. I'm not sure if they were just in one area, or all along the drive as there really weren't that many hitting the screen. As lead car I collected by far the most, kind of like a snow plow making way for everyone, and the guys at the rear of the group had hardly a single bug to show!

Just getting ready for a run up to Big Sur for lunch at the Post Ranch, then the evening tour of Hearst Castle, more pix later.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ha! yes, but they got all the rock chips

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    Looks fantastic, have a wonderful time
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Clive & Ian, so sorry you guys aren't here, your rooms were turned into the evening tour of Hearst Castle, so a big thank you from the team. However we'd all rather that you guys were here too, it's not the same without you!!

Friday started with a run down into Cambria for a breakfast at Linns, the we headed inland up the 46, north on Vineyard to Chimney Rock, on up over the Nacimiento dam and onto the super fast back roads the lead to Hunter Liggatt military base. There we turn back to the west, climbing the coastal range and dropping down to a crystal blue Pacific where we join the 1, and head north to a delicious lunch at the Post Ranch.

After a long lunch we take a lazy cruise back down the 1 to Hearst Castle for the evening tour. It was nice to see the place as the sun falls into the ocean, then head back into Cambria for a hearty dinner at Robbins.

Andrew Macpherson

Wow! Looks like HWY 1 was all clear of traffic, awesome. Rifle and I did that road over the dam last time on our way home... nice. You guys are bums! Wish I were there. Tracy says if she were there she would be doing a Karaoke tribute to Donna Summer... so you need to fill in for her (send video )

Z8Mania
    Great shots!!!!!!!!!

Clive and Ian, you guys are sorely missed. We certainly need Tracy here to get the karaoke going. Next time!
    thegunguy

Wow, What a spectacular trip and scenery.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Looks amazing, and the evening tour of the castle looks beautiful. Brings back some great memories of last year.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It has been an amazing trip except for the rock that hit my windshield and broke it. Bad news, about $2,300 to replace. Good news, $100 deductible on glass.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8 Madness
    Fantastic pics. Too bad I couldn't make it.

Marty, I hear you. I broke my glass on the last drive out :-(

On the next drive, I'm going to stay a mile behind. This thing just cracks too easily.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Hey, Tony. You were missed too. Next time!
    thegunguy

Saturday was lazy...

but deliciously lazy. All we did was roll down the coast to Talley's Vineyard, drink delicious Pinot's, eat an amazing lunch Robbie organized for us, and hang out chatting and smoking cigars till almost 6pm! Then it was home again up the coast, via the grocery store, for a fine home cooked dinner of grilled Heart Ranch grass fed rib eyes with copious amounts of wine!

Andrew Macpherson

Sunday we wanted to get home early, so we hit on the road at 6.30am, and had the most stunning traffic free drive back.

Leaving the coast behind, we cut inland over through the vineyards and farms before climbing up to the high chaparral of the California Valley on the 58. Then we corkscrewed down the best set of twisties on 58 into the heat of the San Jaoquin valley. After a fill up and a snack in Taft we climbed up into the Alpine groves on the flanks of Mt Pinos and finally dropped down to the I-5 at Farzier Park and on into LA.

260 scenic miles in exactly five hours with a gas and snack stop made for a perfect Sunday drive.

Andrew Macpherson

Saturday sounds perfect... actually, it all sounds perfect. Glad it was yet another success.

WOW is right...... sorry I missed it, just did not have the time this year. Maybe next year if you do it again.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    WOW is right...... sorry I missed it, just did not have the time this year. Maybe next year if you do it again.
    Jeff, start getting ready for next year. I'm already pushing Andrew for a redux. Cambria and the Central Coast are just absolutely gorgeous and the roads...
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Great pictures from what looks like a great trip! The last time I visited Hearst Castle I was a teenager... that was a long time ago.

What a great trip, but it's good to be back home too. Pics tonight.
    thegunguy

Ditto that. I had an amazing time and the drives, lunches and dinners, and time spent with friends both new and old amazing, but it is good to be home.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Here are a few more snaps from this weekend to add to Andrew's spread. The order spans the weekend form post-bug assault, Friday's big drive, lunch at Post Ranch, tour at Hearst Castle, Saturday's chill at Talley, and a stop off at the Elephant Seal Beach on the return north.

thegunguy

Awesome shots, I'm so impressed by that NEX7, it really is a revolutionary camera!
    Andrew Macpherson

Love the photos. Thanks for posting. On my way to the BMW dealer to get my new windshield installed.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Very nice Rifle. That photo with the seals and the one of the winery guy with Michel and Robbie... awesome. Who's the schmuck smoking the cigar?
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

That's a fine looking group of people - I need to get back to the gym so I make the cut for the photos in our next trip

By Napa we'll all really be in fine shape! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Yikes!!!! The final tally on the new windshield went just North of $2,800! It needed two more new seals on the A pillar to prevent possible wind noise once the new one goes in. They were $235 each.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Is the Alpina windshield pricier? Last time I got a new windshield, it came out to about 1700.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

It's torture having to look at these great pictures!
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Old Baillie View Post
    It's torture having to look at these great pictures!
    Look at it on the bright side, since you had to miss Cambria now you can make it up by going to Napa.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

I'll post final breakdown when I get the car back but parts were over $1,700 plus tax plus 6.6 hours of labor at $140 per hour.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Carlos, will you post the details of your windscreen protector stuff please, at these prices I think it'll be a great investment!
    Andrew Macpherson

When I do my screen... really needs it, but I keep waiting for it to just crack, or something catastrophic, I will do a plastic covering for sure. Like clear bra but heavier duty.

Just got my car back today. With tax, the total came to $2,752. They had to replace both door seals as they go under the windshield on the A pillars and if you don't replace them it can lead to an improper seal and wind noise. On another note, my dashboard also started to delaminate. I called Bill Stuart and he asked me to send him pics. BMW is giving me a new dash free of charge and a break on the labor. Bill is amazing!! My car is five years out of warranty and they are still helping. Amazing!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Thats great service.

Z8 Madness
    Thanks Marty for the info. The extra door seals must be why this is a bout 1K more than I recall having paid a couple of years ago when I replaced the windshield on my previous Z8. I must say that I never had wind noise issue. Did the service manager follow BMW service recommendation or just suggest the seals to be replaced out of precaution? Would have been nice to get a confirmation from someone like Dana on this.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Carlos, will you post the details of your windscreen protector stuff please, at these prices I think it'll be a great investment!
    I had the windshield skin done when I had the front end redone and my guy "threw in" the winshield for $250. I spoke with him at that time and he said that would do a group of five or more for $350 each. If you guys are interested, I can talk to him again or put you in touch with him, your choice.

Regarding the windshield skin, it is undetectable except when you look towards the sky at an angle, then you see a slight rainbow effect. I got a bunch of hits on the Cambria trip, but none hit the actual glass. It cleans the same way as the glass, either a wet microfiber or window cleaner and a microfiber and it's very scratch resistant. I was so happy with it, I had it done on my M3 as well.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Count me in.
    Andrew Macpherson

For those of us not in California, could you please post the brand name so we can look for local installers?

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    For those of us not in California, could you please post the brand name so we can look for local installers?
    The brand is Clearplex (www.clearplex.com), but the brand is not really the important issue; what really matters is the installer. Most of the guys in So. Cal. don't do the windshield skin for a variety of reasons, including warranty, difficulty, they can't charge enough, etc.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Tony, it was the Z8 mechanic that said the seals needed to be replaced or risk wind noise.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    I've been looking around a little and it does make sense that they should be replaced. I'll be sure to let the service manager at Irvine BMW know ... if only I can find some time to take the car in
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT