Thread: supercharger

Z8 Novice

Z8 supercharger

Does anyone here have any experience with a supercharger on a Z8. I have read about the availability of a couple of systems, one of them developping 650hp. I would love to have some feedback if any.
    Thanks

The only team to trust are Bill and Sean.....

at Discovery.

They have done several amazing M5 and Z8 conversions, and their workmanship looks to be amazing. I know that one of our posters here, Claus, had his car done by them, and has been delighted.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I spoke with Bill. He seems like an extremely nice person and very knowledgable. I just wanted to confirm my thoughts.

If you do get the work done I'd love to get some shots,

and a good review. Discovery is just too far away from me to get over there to do any pictures myself. I would certainly ask him too about the handling mods he's been doing, because IMHO the Z8 is fast enough already, it is in the handling department that it really needs the work.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I am seriously considering getting the work done. I will never sell the Z8, it is quite fast in original spec, but as you very well know, there is no such thing as too much HP. I agree with you in the handling department. My M5 was more fun to drive fast.
    If i decide to go ahead with it, I'll also do the suspension and brakes. I don't particularly want to change the wheels as i like the stock wheels and i really haven't seen anything that has blown me away

The M5 is a startlingly good handler!

The Z8 can be made to handle better, but so can the M5, and I think a well set up E39 by AC Schnitzer, Hamann or Dinan will always feel like it handles a better. However the lighter weight of the Z8 does really begin to favor it at the track. My old Euro, which I tracked a lot, had no motor mods, just full suspension and tires, and the best drivers in their M5's couldn't keep with it, and the only reason I can think of is the weight.

The M3's, which are much closer in weight, but have less power, were more able to stay with, and even run ahead of the Z8, and the old Corvette Z06 (C5) also seemed about it's equal. This is with all our cars being on real street tires.

It is interesting to note that at the ring the M5 is about 10 seconds slower despite giving you the feeling of handling better.

Screen grab taken from Track Challenge.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

I have seen the Ring numbers,

and i am sure the weight makes the difference. I have never tracked the Z8 as i have dedicated toys for the track and i don't like tracking convertibles. The M3 is by far the best BMW track car i have experienced handling wise and most of the race prepped M3's handle better than my procar, all they need is a little more HP and torque.

I agree with you about tracking convertibles....

however the Z8 was my first sorts car, after 20 years on 2 wheels, so it was the first car I tracked, and after bikes being in a convertible seemed just fine! The track did however really allow me to dial in the Z8, as there is no road work you can do that allows you to tune the suspension, and feel the difference that it makes.

I bought the M3smg to keep the Z8 off the track, but after a while I found the M3 too clinical and a bit souless, thus I got the GT3, which was much, much more fun to drive. However I got up to a speed in that where all the instructors I was working with were all saying I needed to get a Cup car for the protection if nothing else. Sadly owning a Cup car, and all that it involves (transporter, mechanic, one set of tires every track day etc, etc) is beyond my means.

After having the GT3 go sideways at 125 in turn 8 at Willow three times (I caught it each time) and the same week a friend break his back in a shifter kart race, I decided to listen to both my agent and my fiance, and stop going to the track. However I do miss it a lot, and hope that one day I'll be able to return in a Cup car, or something that gives me the same level of safety equipment.

While at the track I drove a Radical a couple of times, now of all the things I've tried so far that crazy little thing really put a smaile on my face!

Is your Procar one of these? I remember watching them at the GP's as a kid, what awesome races they were!!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

My Procar

is the BASF car. You can see pics of it on my site, www.BMWM1.com. When I bought the car it was in the motorsport colours like the one you have in the picture and I finally got around to repainting it original.
    IMO the M1 is one of the best sounding race cars out there. Of course i am biased but you won't believe the sound until you hear it live.

Wow!!

Lucky you, what a wonderful car to own and drive!! I'd love you to take some shots of it with your Z8 for the Gallery please!! I'm always looking for sets of 6 images, so if you have a moment one sunny day when the two cars can be placed together that would be awesome.
    Andrew Macpherson