Thread: Painting the Brake Calipers

Z8 Novice

Painting the Brake Calipers

I live coastal, very near to the beautiful Pacific, and the trade off of having a view of the blue is that my brake calipers have grown a patina of rust that really does a disservice to such a gorgeous car. I live near to a local exotic auto dealer called Cavallo Motorsport, whose owner suggested to me some time ago that his shop could paint my calipers.

Does anyone here have experience with caliper painting? Is there a go-to paint brand and approach, or is this a standard type paint job that I should entrust to Cavallo? Also, I bought my 2001 Z8 in 2005, and I think the original caliper color is silver. Perhaps this could be verified by a Z8 aficionado? I'd like to keep my car as close as possible to the stock spec.

Best to all.

The calipers are usually black on the stock Z8, I have never seen an OEM unit in silver. I'm sure any good paint shop will have the right brake caliper paint, so I would certainly trust them, but if you want to be a 100% certain you can always ask about the brand and post it here to see if anyone has any thoughts about it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thank you for the feedback macfly. I'll ask Cavallo about black and what the process entails and report back here if anything notable comes up.

Z8 Novice
    Looking to paint mine. Looks like the original color is silver not black. Did you ever get this done? Thanks Jeff.

Due to the temps, I believe powder coating is the best way to go. There shouldn't be difficult to find someone in your area.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Happy New Year to the members on the Z8 board. Jeff -- no I did not have my calipers painted, but I've still got it on the punch list. If I felt super comfortable with the OEM paint type and color, I'd probably be more inclined to move forward. Laziness on my part, really, as I could probably just pick up the phone and talk to my dealership about these open items.