Thread: Fuji X-Pro 1

Fuji X-Pro 1

In anticipation of Andrew's take on his review unit, I figured I'd add this one.

I follow DPReview via my RSS reader, and I saw that they added studio samples from their test.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1

The sub pixel arrangement and lenses make this guy pretty compelling.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thanks Rifle- I ll have to read up on it. So far with the GX1 I have taken a few shots and am figuring out the controls. First looks at the images on the screen are promising but Ive been so busy that I literally get 10-20 minutes and then its kids chaos etc so I can't make any detailed studies. I'll get to it at some point.

Fuji just confirmed that I'll have a loaner in time for my upcoming night shoot, so I'll do a bunch of side by sides with the D800 and post them here. It seems from the online tests that the Fuji's real strength is at high ISO's, and since I'll be shooting in available street lighting thats what I want for this trip.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I look forward to this!

I've read the same. It should be a great tool for what you're doing.
    thegunguy

So first impressions are a "Hell yes!!!"

This test was done to try and see what the resolving power per millimeter the Fuji sensor has at 1600 ISO, my target ISO setting for the night street scenes in Prague.

As you can see in the top image the 35mm lens on the Nikon gives a much wider angle view on the full frame sensor, and thus in theory should give better overall image quality, but what I wanted to see was the resolving power of the sensors with the same lens, meaning if the D800 sensor was cut down to the smaller size of the Fuji sensor, how would it hold up. The results of this test are startling to say the least, as you can see below.

The Fuji camera is a delight to handle, the lenses are razor sharp and software is so easy you don't even have to open the manual. The operation feels better than anything I've used in an age, this really is a sensational camera and on first impression all I can say whatever Fuji are doing, I hope they'll do it more!

Andrew Macpherson

Wow - looks very clean, and there's a lot to be said for usability in today's multi-layered software driven interfaces.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Agreed and seems to have less chromatic aberration than the D800...

The files are looking great on the location scout....

Andrew Macpherson

There's something that's happening below the mids that is catching my eye oddly (mostly in the last 3 shots). Midrange contrast a little flat? I'm not B&W expert - just going off of the "feeling" that I'm recalling from viewing other photos.

Looks really promising though. How's the usability?
    thegunguy

These are jpgs straight out of the camera with no adjustments, using Fuji's own B&W setting in camera.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    For direct from camera thats amazing! I agree with Rifle's comments but also think while the whites are blown on some of the first images, thats OK but on the last one of the church the whites need to come down just a drop to give more definition.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the standard JPGs are pretty solid looking.
    thegunguy

Well the X-Pro went back to Fuji today, but all in all I'm very impressed with it, and while it is expensive it is also simply gorgeous.

From what my contact there said Fuji is deadly serious about moving up the food chain, and becoming the #3 camera maker behind Sony & Canon, the current market leaders. What that says to me is that Fuji will be showing us some pretty amazing cameras in the near future. Going by the superb build quality and absolute pleasure of the X-Pro 1 as both an object of desire, and a camera to hold and use I think we'll be in for some real treats.
    Andrew Macpherson