Thread: Sony NEX-5n

Sony NEX-5n

I couldn't resist Sony putting the NEX-5n on sale this week. Amazon Prime can be dangerous. I've been very interested in the NEX-7, but with its few quirks and the possibility of new models this fall, the solid 5n at a reduced priced seems like a good move. I figure this will be a good way to start buying in to their lens system.

I also grabbed the excellently reviewed 50/1.8, and I'm keeping an eye out for the 24mm Zeiss when it's back in inventory.

I have some travel over the next few weeks to try out the system.

thegunguy

Z8Mania
    COOL!!!!!!! I just got that Panny GX1 and I took a few shots- its a very weird feeling to hold one of these micro 4/3 cameras for the first time. But I like how fast it fires compared to my G10.

With the GF1, I hold the grip naturally with my right hand and support with the left in various ways. As with most things...keep doing it until it feels right
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Good advice. I will keep this in mind for other uses as well

Whats weird is having a SLR like camera that feels so light. I like it as a change of pace. I have yet to really do any work with it- I just took a few test shots.

It's here. CHARGE FASTER! Darn 110 electrical network.
    thegunguy

Look forward d to hearing what it's like, keep us posted.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I had about 10 minutes to set it up before rushing out the door. Since I've spent most of my time in the menu, I'm fairly pleased so far. The menus are better than most (not crammed), but the 960k dot screen is the most pleasant part coming up from a smaller screen with half the pixels on the GF1. Everything is super crisp.

I really impressed with the quality feel of Sony's new 50mm for the NEX E-mount - my only lens until the 24mm Zeiss shows its head again. It's a beautiful anodized aluminum finish, weighty, in a a high quality sort of way. All the reviews are impressed with it for it's relatively low cost.

The thing that I'm not liking about the 5N is the size and wight. It's quite a bit smaller than my Panasonic (see photo), and it weighs nothing. It's really quite amazing knowing what's inside, but with the heavy prim out front, it's a bit of an odd balance. I may have to get the 7 just to have better handling.

Top shot L to R (Canon S100, Sony NEX 5n, Panasonic GF1 (w/ 20/1.7), Panasonic 14-45 zoom) - you can really see how small the 5n is compared to even the S100.

thegunguy

Great visual comparo, look very forward to seeing the shots, be nice if you could point them all at the same tree out the window to see what kind of quality difference there is.
    Andrew Macpherson

I can certainly do that.

I'm taking it out for its first run fishing with Jack this morning.
    thegunguy

Here are some quick snaps after this morning's fishing outing with Jack's cub scout den. I had five minutes to pull these off and post. I shot pairs, but these are just the JPGs right off of the sensor with now adjustments. I'll play with RAW later.

I'm really liking the lens, and the files look pretty good. However, the ergonomics are not for me. I think I'm going to send back and get the 7 for the increased size/weight and better controls.

Part of it's a new system, but I found it hard to get a sense for the metering. Unlike my Panasonic, I haven't found a way to display a live histogram, which is really helpful.

The JPG colors look pretty good on the standard setting.

thegunguy

Looking deeper tonight, the JPGs are really solid. Some of the slightly under/over exposed shots work better with RAW, but for stuff like this, the time necessary to processes the RAWs on every shot seems a little silly.

For a print shot, I'd definitely flip over to the RAWs.

Anyway, the 5N is really quite amazing for the price and size. If I meet up with the Peninsula crew tomorrow afternoon, I'll have to grab a few shots of the Z8 (although high hot light - yuck). Maybe Jack and I will take a sundown cruise tomorrow night and we can see what the 5N can do with the big black pearl.

Either way, I put in an order for the 7 again with its larger body and external controls.

thegunguy

It looks like a camera for small hands for sure, but the pics look nice.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thanks Rifle. Nice shots.

Setting up the 7 right now. The 5n is in NV on its way back to Amazon. I should have kept to compare, but there wasn't much of a point (for me). The 5n was just too small with buried controls.

The 7. I haven't fired a shot yet, but the handling and control seem great.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Try a set of caster camber plates for even better handling