Thread: Video of LED rear lights in action....

Video of LED rear lights in action....

and a still shot of the effect...

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The yellow does come thru well.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I like the all red tail lamp look better then the amber/red European light. This solves the problem over there while still maintaining the all red look.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Great stuff. This is a nice option.

I'd still like to see development on a more OE appearing solution with LEDs as the light source. I'm sure someone will get there with time.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I don't care for it. It's too "Audi".

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Excellent interm solution for those EU owners who purchased their cars in the US and cannot get a hold of the original EU amber/red taillights.
    That's what it was designed for. Congratulations Chris, you've made some Z8 owners very happy and that's what this forum / community is all about.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Exactly, ditto that!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Very cool! I imagine that this retrofit of LEDs could also serve as an alternative to replacing the existing neon tube system for US cars. If you can look past the "Audi look" how does this LED system compare to the neon setup?

Again congratulations on developing a viable work around while BMW sorts through the resupply of EU rear tail lights!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Is it the vimeo or does the film look like one solid light at night, while the still shot looks like a string of dots in the daylight?

Any way to remove the dot string, or is that what is required to go from neon gas to led?
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Sport Button On
    I don't think my video does the effect justice. The string of dots doesn't look as "bad" in daylight as it appears (on the still shot) and at night as you say the effect is more solid. But do remember this is only an attempt for us Europeans to get around the EU light availability problem - not meant as an alternative to the real thing!! Chris

Yeah, that's the important point. Without this solution, many cars, either through import or failure, couldn't be on the road. It's not ideal, but it's better than waiting until BMW sorts out a new supplier.

Going forward, I think many of us would like to see development on a more OE style solution with side illuminated LEDs as all of our lights will likely fail. In North America, the issue with defraction of the amber through the red lens isn't an issue, potentially making it an easier development.

The initiative of this alternative will perhaps also serve as an example of creative problem solving for profiteers who would rather shut down our Club so they can pad their wallets. Maybe they should have spent the time and expense they put in to trying to politically undermine the future of our cars into developing a solution of their own. There's my jab.
    thegunguy

Yeah, it really is so sad that a few such rotten apples have been able to abuse such a great club, and to hurt the people who have given so much time and effort to it. As Fisker no doubt is learning, karma is a bitch, and they'll get theirs.
    Andrew Macpherson

What's this about abusing the club? I haven't read anything about it in the postings.