Thread: Check out this Z8 from Japan...

Team Z8

Check out this Z8 from Japan...

Clear turn signals (which I'd heard about, but never seen), new seats and some unknown strut brace in the trunk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pyUY3twK4

LED replacements?

There is an awful lot about that car I really like. Would like to know more about that trunk strut.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I like the wheels. The seats look familiar... Recaro? At least they would keep my shoulder from bracing against the bump where the top mounts!

The wheels look good especially with the big brembo brakes... not crazy about the seats.

The brace makes no sense to me. It looks like it attaches to the top of the rear axle carrier, which is a massively strong steel cage.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    The brace makes no sense to me. It looks like it attaches to the top of the rear axle carrier, which is a massively strong steel cage.
    Steel or Aluminum? Somehow I had it in my mind the cars were 100% aluminum.

I like the Wheels, Brakes, seats, turn indicators and of course the color.
    2000 Red over black

The frame and body are mostly aluminum, but the suspension and secondary structures like the axle carrier are mostly steel.
    thegunguy

10-4

Thanks Rifle.

2000 Red over black

Yeah, the car is really just a frankenstein of parts from the 5 and 7, which are largely steel.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I think the seats work and the wheels look good. Not sure about the rest. Thanks for sharing.

Wonder if the corded remote is for the seat.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Sure looks like it. It would be nice to have memory seats.

Z8 Madness
    The seats do blend really well. To be honest, the stock Z8 seats are not all that exciting.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I'm pretty sure the remote is NOT for the (recaro?) seats

Looks like they put the engine strut brace in, but forgot the plates on the towers. I have seen that in a couple of cars for sale and wondered why they did not use the plates.

Anyone else like the Ghost Picture Productions digital Z8 you could watch after this vid was done? I watched the gauges a lot in the later part of the show. Wish I could switch gears that slow at 80. Either I keep missing 6 to 5 and hit 3rd, or that engine finds the redline again a lot faster in 5th to 100. I am not sure I even need to downshift. The engine seems to pull even in 6th at 80. I'm just a silly novice used to having to hustle a 4 cylinder daily driver.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    It does look like its missing the plates. Weird. When changing gears, do you change your hand alignment to the shifter? For example for first and second, I cup my hand in such a way that its open to my body, so Im pushing the shifter into gear and also towards me- not too hard mind you! For 3-4 I change my hand alignment so my hand is more or less open facing down on the shifter and I push the shifter more or less straight up or down. For 5 & 6, my position changes again so the cup of my hand is facing away from my body and Im pushing it into gear and also away from me. A good friend taught me this over 10 years ago and I find it helps a lot with keeping me informed of what gear Im in, and making sure I go where I want to go without having to look down at the shifter.

In terms of shift speed, do you know how to rev match downshift? If yes then you will just have to hold everything longer if you want long shifts. If no then you need to learn and if you have not removed the dreaded Clutch Delay Valve off your car, you should do it. For more info see here:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

One thing I would warn you on is making what I call the "hero" downshift. That is you want to get the car revving really high, so you decide to go from 6-2, the more RPMS you put into the system, the greater the chance you have of locking up the rear end and if you do, especially if you are under braking in anticipation of a corner, then you have the chance of really throwing the cars balance off, which is something you are likely already being delicate with and if that happens you can lose it. Its one thing if you're going straight and not braking but even there Ive learned you don't need to make it rev like crazy- just get it into a sweet spot for more power if you are looking to overtake. I've learned from track days that for harder cornering, etc, you really don't need big power, often it is the enemy of being smooth. And remember: slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Thanks, that is a great recommendation on shift hand posture! I have been driving a 5 speed for almost 30 years, but a 6 is different. I don't really think about matching revs in my 320i, it just happens. Albeit much more powerful, the Z8 is the same basic feel. Everything is familiar through 5 up and down. But I feel that urge to cruise at lower revs at 70 (maybe 80) in 6 (Hoping the gas gauge will move a little slower too). And I'd like to drop to 5 and scoot around something, and feel it in the seat. Not an outrageous move, and routinely done between 3,4 and 5 in the 40-60 range.

I will try your shift hand posture method and make some slow shifts from 6 to 5 at higher speeds. At 70 or 80 I should be able to drop it and hit the same revs as if I were cruising in 80 in 5. Right now I think I am hitting too much gas too fast and getting close to redline too fast. Either that or I am hitting 3. (can you even do 70 or 80 in 3?).

Not sure I am quite ready to drop from 6 to 2, although in M5 school they taught us to race into curves, break hard and smoothly carve the turn with a touch of gas, then hit the gas hard as you came out....but we rarely got out of second. Still, nothing like having the right amount of speed going into a curve to be on the edge of the back swinging out.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

For the ultimate driving machine, BMW's pedals aren't so hot. They're usually huge. My technique may not be the best, but it took me a while to find a way to comfortably heel/toe in the Z8.

While almost no road cars use them, I much prefer firewall hinged pedals.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    looks like a replica from a Z4
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post

2000 Red over black

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    Obviously, it is a Z8, but I can see what you're saying. I chalk it up to an unflattering angle and setting, dull light, and Topaz, which has little contrast to show the contours of the car.

Props for the big antenna on the back.
    thegunguy

Come on guys, it is not like it is yellow or something.........
    2000 Red over black

I think what he's getting at is that the photo makes it look a little fat and squatty, which is how those bad conversions look. The rear haunches don't really read in that shot either. If I squint my eyes, I can see what he's thinking. It didn't occur to me when I first looked at, but I think I get it.

It also looks like a pretty wide lens with some bad distortion (see the brick wall). Even the front and rear of the car seem to curve unnaturally in to the photo.

It's really just a bad shot of a Z8, and with the distortion and angle, the bad shot might call up the bad Z4 conversions.
    thegunguy

OK, but aren't you guys like me? My mind fills in all the missing beauty when I see a poorly shot (or exposed) photo.

Examples for me are older Ferraris that get shot only with the camera on the ground (hides the beauty seen from eye level) or the cars with the distracting front tire turned towards the camera instead of away, showing us the ugly wheel well.
    2000 Red over black

Nope. When I see a bad photo, I see a bad photo. :P

Those darn low level photographers!

(for all the equipment talk of late...top: the crispy GF1, bottom: the aging gentleman G10)

thegunguy

touche' sir.

I am thinking back in the 70's and 80's when the only professional pics of a Ferrari Boxer you could find were taken from the ground.

You just miss so dang much if that is your only shot.
    2000 Red over black

In both cases, Andrew is photographing details from the low angle, not the whole car. In the case of the 328, the shot he was getting ended up being the cover of Roundel for October (?). I can't speak for him, but I'm guessing it worked well to get low to use the sky for isolation on the door of the 328.

Low shots of the whole car can carry a lot of feeling - aggression, speed, etc. I'm with you, it's often not the right move, but if that's what you're wanting to communicate, go for it.

Then again, photography has its own fashion trends - some good, some bad. The low Ferrari pics may not do much for the subject, but their use in the 70s/80s obviously take you back to a that time. That can be fun too. I'm looking for my leg-warmers and Mermber's Only jacket.

One current trend that needs to die a painful death is bad HDR.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I'm looking for my Mermber's Only jacket.

One current trend that needs to die a painful death is bad HDR.
    Have to claim ignorance on HDR.

Hey I loved my Member's only felt jackets.
    2000 Red over black

HDR = High Dynamic Range
    It's a method of using one or more exposures to capture more detail in the highlights and shadows. It usually is the combination of three exposures (under, correct, over). It can be a great way to produce stunning shots and grab detail in problem light.

However, there are a lot of guys that use it needlessly and then just seem to drag sliders around in some ham-fisted way to make what I see to be really bad photos. Sure, some people know what they're doing with it, and they're using it creatively for a desired effect. I don't believe this is what we get most of the time.

The top photo is what most yahoos would rave on about what a great HDR photo should be. The second is more about how to use it to create an expressive photo with lots of detail in low and varied light. I actually had a hard time trying to find a good example. LOL

Again, it's a useful tool, but it seems like easy access to software puts the tool in some unworthy hands.

thegunguy

OK, I understand what you meant.

I kinda like the bottom pic. The top is just stylized art IMO. And as they say, in the eye of the beholder.......

I will happy to see it run it's course too. Much like the Matte black wraps on cars with black wheels and black chrome......Murdered out I believe is the term. Yuk.
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    yes is the so so quality pics, but also the seats the carpets and some other details.The brakes are nice I wonder what would be the distance from 100kph-0 , with the original brakes I think is 37 meters.
    Maybe we get something like this?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jCiU-4K5Y
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Cool vid. It's a 330 ZHP, not an M3 as described.
    thegunguy

I have the Brembos and feel they are a improvement over the already good stock units.

I have not measured to give an actual comparison tho.
    2000 Red over black