Thread: OT: Father son bonding: long

OT: Father son bonding: long

Sorry to be so late in recounting this story, I bailed on a Z8 event in the bay area for this, but...

I sold my GT3 in late spring of 2010. Ever since, I have been itching to get back into a Porsche as my DD and track car. For the last year I considered everything from a '70s datsun 510 to an Audi R8V10. But Porsche keeps calling my name. After driving the new 991 (911) I knew I had better get one of the last "Analog" porsches... the new one is great, but not the same "Sports car" experience (too big and isolated vs previous gen). I research some used 997 GT3s, and the price was decent, but... Meanwhile, my 23 year old son, who had a Cayman S a few years ago, but sold it for an electric, snot-green Lotus exige S240, was ready to get back into a Cayman (long story on what happened to the Lotus!). So he and I were researching used Caymans... Relatively new (gen 2 2009 on) cars are not yet flush on the market, so most were in LA. I was also looking at a new Cayman R in a custom-order vintage gray-green color (very cool) with Carbon buckets etc, at a dealer in LA for about 80k.

On a Friday, my son calls and says he's flying to LA tomorrow to look at a car. I say, I'm coming too! So after 3 hrs sleep, at 4am on a Saturday his girlfriend takes us to Oakland intl., we fly one-way to Longbeach, with my helmet bag, as I need to be sure I have clearance. We catch a cab to a dinner in Norwalk (on highway one LA) for breakfast. Walk to the dealer when they open.... test drive and buy a low mi certified 2010 red cayman S (19,000mi) for my son, we then drive across town to another dealer where I test drive and buy a 2009 certified white Cayman S (14,000mi). Next we drive north out of LA to Valencia to meet extended family for a big birthday party (my wife was visiting for the week). We stayed and partied for a while, then hit the road (i5) north to the bay area.... got home at 4am (up for 24hrs on three hours sleep). We each got pulled over once on the way home... my son for accelerating too fast up an onramp in LA (no ticket) and me for weaving a mile before home (no ticket... I was driving in my rearview mirror to see who was gaining on me! but going the speed limit). We did hit about 150MPH once, briefly on the way home, but otherwise set the cruise control and talked on the phone about operating the onboard systems etc.

A long, but rewarding day! What I had decided was, that rather than drop 80k plus on the new car, I would spend 50+ on a slightly used car so my son and I could "develop" them together for the track etc. At least no one can say "yeah, but you have a faster car!" No excuses!

Since we have returned home, we have begun the long slippery slope of upgrades.

So far on both cars:
    ? Tubi exhaust
    ? Black exhaust tips
    ? Rear toe-steer upgrade kit
    ? GT3 Brake master cylinder swap
    ? Braided brake lines and Motul fluid
    ? GT3 4.0 Alcantara shift knob and boot
    ? Clear side markers
    ? Sliver hood badge
    ? Up-sized 19" lightweight (matte black) wheels (going on next week)
    ? Matte black wheel caps (going on next week)
    ? Black lug bolts (going on next week)
    ? Up-sized Mich. SS tires (going on next week)
    ? Pagid yellow pads for track days

Looking into, carbon buckets, racing harnesses, Big stop-techs, Gt3RS 4.0 Alcantara steering wheel.........

Planning some track time this month and next.

Ah, good times..... Life is short, enjoy the ride!

First photo: I5 somewhere circa 2am
    Second photo: Next day, Dublin CA

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I lived this story with you in real time as it was happening but it is fun to read about it. Sounds wonderful. Let's see some pics! I agree with you on the new 991. Nice but too big and soft for me. I LOVE the 2010 PDK 911 turbo coupe I bought in February.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Great story Ian! Fun and family and friends... It's why we work so we can enjoy life, !!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Madness
    Congrats, what a great story. Enjoy!!
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Ditto that, major bravo!!!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I still want to see some graphics on the cars.

This is such a great sorry, and I can't wait to enjoy these times with Jack. Every day is uncertain. Enjoy.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Very nice. Congratulations. Question- how often are you tracking and would you move to a dedicated track car?

In terms of the analog/ digital thing- I totally agree. I think we've been in a transition for several years, depending on the make and model and now its Porsche's turn. I remember the first time I drove an E60 545 with the active steering and I floor it on to the highway and my dealer says- Jerry! You're doing 80 on the on ramp, and I just remark very dryly- I'm just trying to feel something. Its a shame. I think Porsche made a mistake with the electric steering and part of me wonders if they won't go back to the hydraulic setup after a few years.

Although I went by myself here is a shot of the turbo at the James Dean Memorial on Highway 46. I flew up to Monterey, bought the car at the Porsche dealer there, and had a blast driving it the 325 miles home. Here it is at home residing next to the Alpina.

Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Sadly, I think electric steering is here to stay. I'm sure it will get better over time as I see little reason that it can't work in reverse and communicate back to your hands via servo, which could potentially amplify desired input and squelch those distracting.

The new 3's version is much better than the 5, but it's still not great. Anyway, it will get better.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    how often are you tracking and would you move to a dedicated track car?
    Havent been to the track in a couple years? Hopefully once every couple months. I just can't get away that often. I tried racing for a while, but again, couldn't go often enough, and if you don't give it your all, you will never be competitive. A better sport for divorced men? Or those who want to be? My youngest is going off to college in the fall, so I'm hoping that "once in a while" is possible..... so no, no dedicated track car.... yet

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I still want to see some graphics on the cars.

This is such a great sorry, and I can't wait to enjoy these times with Jack. Every day is uncertain. Enjoy.
    Graphics have been designed, but will be the last "mod"... if there is such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Although I went by myself here is a shot of the turbo at the James Dean Memorial on Highway 46. I flew up to Monterey, bought the car at the Porsche dealer there, and had a blast driving it the 325 miles home. Here it is at home residing next to the Alpina.
    Beautiful Marty! Funny, the rounded butt and flanks on the Porsche are similar to the Z8 (compared to say, a GTR or lambo, or many new cars). Still showing some of the Beatle and 356 roots from the mid-century. Same with the Cayman... New Carman-Ghia?

Z8Mania
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Sorry to be so late in recounting this story, I bailed on a Z8 event in the bay area for this, but...

I sold my GT3 in late spring of 2010. Ever since, I have been itching to get back into a Porsche as my DD and track car. For the last year I considered everything from a '70s datsun 510 to an Audi R8V10. But Porsche keeps calling my name. After driving the new 991 (911) I knew I had better get one of the last "Analog" porsches... the new one is great, but not the same "Sports car" experience (too big and isolated vs previous gen). I research some used 997 GT3s, and the price was decent, but... Meanwhile, my 23 year old son, who had a Cayman S a few years ago, but sold it for an electric, snot-green Lotus exige S240, was ready to get back into a Cayman (long story on what happened to the Lotus!). So he and I were researching used Caymans... Relatively new (gen 2 2009 on) cars are not yet flush on the market, so most were in LA. I was also looking at a new Cayman R in a custom-order vintage gray-green color (very cool) with Carbon buckets etc, at a dealer in LA for about 80k.

On a Friday, my son calls and says he's flying to LA tomorrow to look at a car. I say, I'm coming too! So after 3 hrs sleep, at 4am on a Saturday his girlfriend takes us to Oakland intl., we fly one-way to Longbeach, with my helmet bag, as I need to be sure I have clearance. We catch a cab to a dinner in Norwalk (on highway one LA) for breakfast. Walk to the dealer when they open.... test drive and buy a low mi certified 2010 red cayman S (19,000mi) for my son, we then drive across town to another dealer where I test drive and buy a 2009 certified white Cayman S (14,000mi). Next we drive north out of LA to Valencia to meet extended family for a big birthday party (my wife was visiting for the week). We stayed and partied for a while, then hit the road (i5) north to the bay area.... got home at 4am (up for 24hrs on three hours sleep). We each got pulled over once on the way home... my son for accelerating too fast up an onramp in LA (no ticket) and me for weaving a mile before home (no ticket... I was driving in my rearview mirror to see who was gaining on me! but going the speed limit). We did hit about 150MPH once, briefly on the way home, but otherwise set the cruise control and talked on the phone about operating the onboard systems etc.

A long, but rewarding day! What I had decided was, that rather than drop 80k plus on the new car, I would spend 50+ on a slightly used car so my son and I could "develop" them together for the track etc. At least no one can say "yeah, but you have a faster car!" No excuses!

Since we have returned home, we have begun the long slippery slope of upgrades.

So far on both cars:
    ? Tubi exhaust
    ? Black exhaust tips
    ? Rear toe-steer upgrade kit
    ? GT3 Brake master cylinder swap
    ? Braided brake lines and Motul fluid
    ? GT3 4.0 Alcantara shift knob and boot
    ? Clear side markers
    ? Sliver hood badge
    ? Up-sized 19" lightweight (matte black) wheels (going on next week)
    ? Matte black wheel caps (going on next week)
    ? Black lug bolts (going on next week)
    ? Up-sized Mich. SS tires (going on next week)
    ? Pagid yellow pads for track days

Looking into, carbon buckets, racing harnesses, Big stop-techs, Gt3RS 4.0 Alcantara steering wheel.........

Planning some track time this month and next.

Ah, good times..... Life is short, enjoy the ride!

First photo: I5 somewhere circa 2am
    Second photo: Next day, Dublin CA
    Finally got wheels/tires/alignment last Friday... Did pagid yellows Fri PM, and drove up to Thunderhill Sat PM. We had a great day with the Audi Club (had to join). Great instructors, well run, and great, friendly people... some really fast guys too! All in all an amazing day! It doesn't get any better.

I love everything about this!
    thegunguy

Simply fantastic, so happy to see you guys living every moment to the fullest.

Any chance we'll get a surprise flying visit next weekend? We have a room!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    What fun. Enjoy.

Z8 Madness
    Great story, great fun, and great cars. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!!!
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Very cool! Looks like a blast.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Q; Why not use the Z8 for a track car? With PP installed and douse the run-flats, should be ok right?

Z8Mania
    As much as we love our Z8s, and as wonderful sports cars they are; IMHO there are several reasons why you would not want to use one as a track car. I'm leaving out a lot here but here are a few quick thoughts:

1. Open cars are usually not advisable, and at many tracks not even permitted. Theres simply not enough roll over protection in place.

2. Along those lines theres no way to mount in a harness. IMHO a harness, HANS, and a cage are musts for track work.

3. The suspension setup is very much for a street car and not a track car. That can be remedied but I think it would be a lot of work and expense.

4. The cab backward design of the car makes for a gorgeous romantic roadster, but makes it a little more tricky to place the front tires just so... compare with a Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari, even M3.

5. This is kind of in line with the suspension comment, but the steering is just too slow for the kind of technical driving you'd find on most road courses.

IMHO the Z8 is the sports car you drive to the track.

It's a fun car to drive on the track too, but as Jerry said it just isn't a track car. For me the biggest issue with it is the cost and consequence of an off, and of course a roll.

I think many of us here have had various track day cars, and all are superior in terms of lap times and precision on track, but none can match the pleasure of a cross country drive in the Z8. It really is horses for courses, and the Z8 just isn't a race horse.
    Andrew Macpherson

Yep, the Z8 is lots of fun at the track. I've taken mine there four times. It's a great way to learn its abilities and limits. However, as the guys have said, it's not something you want to use regularly. A dedicated track car is the best way to enjoy the sport most fully and safely - and I'd argue most affordably.

In Norcal's case, the dueling Caymans was purposeful so that he and his son could enjoy building up two relatively equal cars. That way when as they enjoy the track together, they could have a little true driver "competition". It's a great story, but I'm not sure his son was ready to purchase a Z8.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Oh yeah - I was lucky enough to do the Z8 DE and it was a blast. But yes its not a Prancing Horsie nor a Horsie from Stuttgart, BUT neither are those Z8s.

I have tracked the Z8 many times, and I love it on track. But the Porsche is "disposable" if anything were to happen! I do miss the Z8s amazing torque on track.

Z8Mania
    OH YEAH. TORQUE... MUMMMMMM. But seriously, that low torque can be tricky to handle.

True, the Cayman is easier because I don't need to sneak up on the throttle so much... just mash it some times!

Z8Mania
    I learned that with big HP street cars, they can be tricky on the track. You can short shift them to allow you to keep the power flow but not make it overwhelming.

Yep, that's why the Lotus Elise was really the sweetest and most satisfying track car I ever owned, as well as the least powerful!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    What a great story. Am contemplating a road trip with my son, rising sophomore in college. Not into cars like I am (at all) but we love the same food, music, and talking, so good enough! This story just motivated me more. Congrats.

I found that once they reach the teen years, anything you plan should require some seat time... the more the better. Gives you time to talk! Road trips rule. Have fun.

More Track time

Well, it's been a while. Done more mods, and had a few more days at thunder Hill a couple months ago. My Son and I just had another great couple days at Laguna Seca with the Caymans, courtesy of Mazda and my friends at Mothers Wax. What a great weekend!! I'm in the white cayman S, and my son is in His red one. So much for evenly developed cars! He got ahead of me in the mods department, and did coilovers, bars, and Hoosier R6s!!! Hopefully I'll get my suspension finished soon. The second day I got to do a few sessions in a full-race, Spec Z (Green). That was a hoot! Here's a bunch of pics. Hope to get back on track in August. I could swear I had two wheels off the ground coming over the corkscrew! Some of the pics really show how steep it is!

What fun, good for both of you!!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Looks like a blast!!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I like the look of the exhaust pipes on your son's car, wicked. It's also great to see the deployment of the rear spoiler in that same shot indicating it must have been a hot corner. Looks like a great time was had by all!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

The pipes on my sons car were fabbed by a guy on site (great luck) as if we didn't lift off throttle going by the sound booth, we would exceede the limit. I just lifted. The weather impacted sound greatly. No problem on sat that was hot, untill the end of the day when it cooled down. Sunday was cool all day, and therefore a problem for sound. That's when my son added the pipes. I was driving the Z that day, so just paused between 3rd and 4th gear going by the booth. The spoiler up is in turn 6, fast, 3rd gear turn... 65+?

Looks like a blast for sure!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Best fun there is!

Z8Mania
    It sure does look like a great time! Nicely done! How come you covered your headlights but your son didn't?

Ran short on time. Not sure it really does anything. I pick up more debris on the freeway than on track any way! Either way the paint will pick up some nicks too. Oh well!

Z8Mania
    Makes sense- Im glad you had fun- its a great time. Chips and nicks are just part of car life. Im with you, try to avoid them, but sometimes you just go out and drive!

And at least my car is white.... Very forgiving!