Thread: Engine 'ticking' noise when cold.

Z8 Novice

Question Engine 'ticking' noise when cold.

Over the 3 years that we have owned our Z8 we find that we have to start it at least every week or we get this ticking noise that sounds like a lifter not getting oil. The longer the car sits w/o running, the longer and harder we have to drive it to get the noise to go away. I have a feeling that if we don't run the engine on a regular basis the noise will become permanent.

Comments/suggestion? Thank you, Karl Scheible

Z8 Novice
    Hi

I have the same "ticking" on my Z8. I had contact with different BMW Dealers and they told me that it has to do with the Oil-System, it means, that If you are not driving daily your car then it is normal that you have a "ticking" because the oil goes flues back. But, dont worry about, because if you are driving daily then it goes away (so the experiance on my car). And finally nothing will be going broken on the enging.

All the best

Pascal

It is caused by the VANOS system.

This is pretty common on cars that sit for extended periods. It is caused by the oil draining out of the oil-hydraulic VANOS valve gear. It takes a few moments for the oil to come back into the system, and it shouldn't be a problem, just let the engine warm until it stops ticking before driving it hard.

I have also heard that using a thicker oil can help cure this. There is a Mobil 1 synthetic oil used in the Porsche motor that is 10-50W, which might be a good alternative to the BMW suggested 10-30W.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Engine ticking

I have let the car idle for up to 20 minutes and the noise continues. I usually have to give the car an "italian tune-up" to get it to go away. I was at the dealer last year when an upset Z8 owner pulled into the dealership with is engine ticking and he was saying that it NEVER goes away. I don't want that to happen. I will try the oil idea. Thanks.

That's a worry!

I haven't heard of it staying that long, that is certainly a worry. Please keep us posted on any other info you find about it.
    Andrew Macpherson

New news on the ticking.....

There is a service bulletin out about it. You will need to see your service advisor and talk to him about it. As yet I don't have a SIB number, but they can now do something about it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

Question Engine tap noise

I own a 2001 with 13,000 mikes, drive it on the weekends only, last weekend when I turned the engine on, it started a taping noise on the right side of the engine, I thought it was a lifter valve and had it towed to Mementum BMW in Houston, after checking they said because the valves are hydrolic, they tend to stick, particularlly if the car is not used much.

I'm not sure if any of you have experienced that. They said that it's normal and sometimes it'll do that, they recomended driving it and the noise should go away.....

Any comments?

Giorgio

Z8 Novice
    I have experienced what you just described as i store the car through out the winter.
    When it sits around for a while,that tap noise is present at startup then it goes away.
    Nothing of any consequence IMO

It is a normal sound....

though not a welcome one! Over the years many owners have reported it in the Z8, but it seems far less common in the E39 M5 which shares our S62 motor, I think because those cars get far more use.

I have been led to understand that it is not a valve, but a part of the hydraulic VANOS system that causes this clicking. When the car sits the oil that is under pressure in there seeps out, and that results in the clicking. I have been told couintless times that it isn't doing anything any harm, so I can only hope it is true!

Anyway it is usually gone within a couple of miutes. I find that starting the car for about a minute, then stopping it for 30 seconds or so and starting it again can help it go away more quickly.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I have the same issue in my 2000 Z8. I found a switch to 10w60 oil reduced the noise by 70%- but not entirely. However, I would recommend everyone use 10w60 oil. Its just a far superior oil with better additives, etc. Ask GreaseMonkey.

I would also recommend you get all the fluids changed once a year. And get the MAFS checked once every 3-4 years or ~25000 miles. When the MAFS (mass air flow sensors) get dirty the engine software reduces power due to its perception of less airflow. Let me tell you when we replaced them in my cars the power went from "feels a bit thin" to "whoa- now thats what I remember!"

Best regards,
    Jerry