Thread: Elaborate radio/navigaion upgrade

Elaborate radio/navigaion upgrade

Found a series of photos with an elaborate radio navigation upgrade/update. All of the center controls and switches got relocated in the process. The stability/traction control and tpms switch are under the dash and the others are in the center console. A bit extreme for most.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/c...2slc/BMW%20Z8/

Bravo for the approach, but it's not for me. Ick.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    The missing doors on the sides of the hand-break just don't look right. Creative work, but I'm with thegunguy.
    62050 - Z8

Me too, the clean lines have been ruined.

Our cars should remain stock cosmetically.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I think there are a few acceptable cosmetic changes, wheels for instance, where the potential of the design was compromised due to cost, etc. However, these "enhancements" should be done to complement the design, not stand out as individual elements. That's part of the strength of the Z8's design - everything works in harmony, and all the details reinforce each other to make a beautiful car, not a collection of interesting parts.

Another area for improvement is in paint and interior colors. Like the 300SLs, I think we'll see some beautiful expansions beyond the original color palette as our cars age.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post

Another area for improvement is in paint and interior colors. Like the 300SLs, I think we'll see some beautiful expansions beyond the original color palette as our cars age.

Agreed. I could see myself doing this.....maybe.....someday.....
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    I agree with you guys. I wish to add that for me, one of the nice things about the Z8 is that the interior is mostly free of digital screens- its about the romance of driving. The big screen just ruins it for me. Thats one reason why I really prefer the stock head unit- as mediocre as it is.