Thread: Hardtop removal tool

Z8 Novice

Hardtop removal tool

I recently bought a z8. It is missing the tool used to remove the hardtop. The dealer says they can not order a replacement part. Does anyone know where I can find this tool?

Thanks

Jim

It does have a part number (54217006026), but that's no guarantee that the tool was actually produced for inventory.

Many of the Z8 parts are not held in inventory in the US, and they have to be ordered from Germany. Sadly, many dealers are either unwilling or ignorant of how to do this. I'd call the parts counter at Peter Pan BMW. They have great connections at getting Z8 parts from Europe...assuming you can get it anyway.
    thegunguy

Hardtop removal tool storage location

Did you look under the removable plastic hardtop panels? There's a mounting bracket for the hardtop removal tool as shown below.

My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    All good suggestions and if those don't pan out (pardon the pun ) then Id suggest calling Bill Stuart at BMW NA.

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Did you look under the removable plastic hardtop panels? There's a mounting bracket for the hardtop removal tool as shown below.

I did not know that. Learn something new about this car after 10 years is fantastic.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Sport Button On
    My BMW dealer says there are 10 available in the US.

Lanny

Z8 Novice
    I have comfirmed. There is TEN in stock. No dealership has one though. You can order one and get it in a couple days.

Larry Nissen