Thread: Z8's wanted

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Z8's wanted

I have a number of buyers looking for both Z8's and Alpinas so if you have a superb example for sale, please contact me by way of my website. WWW.Martin-Company.com.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Just out of curiosity, what's the going rate for a 13K miles Alpina with all the appropriate goodies (hardtop, book, etc). Meticulously maintained by the way!

I sent you a PM.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Thanks Marty!

Be sure and check out the new posting in the Z8 Registry section posted by Rev. Great article on the Z8 out of the UK.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Mine is in Dupont Registry online and print, excellent 14k miles:
    Includes 4 original painted wheels, hardtop w/storage roller, PP strut bar, Eisenhaus xhaust, orgin window sticker, trickle chrgr, tool kit, cover, vin #'d coffee table book in leather box, 2 original keys, book pouch. $120,000.

Looking for late 2001's, VIN number 60750 or later, and 2002 and 2003's. Thanks.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Looking for late 2001's, VIN number 60750 or later, and 2002 and 2003's. Thanks.
    Due to VANOS?

I guess I will have to keep my quite capable 2000
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Actually it is a number of things. The VANOS is one issue, but most people have upgraded their systems by now. If not, that is a major concern. Also, various other changes were made during the production cycle of these cars, such as to the convertible top frames, electrical systems, etc. Generally speaking, the later the car, the better.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

And Yet, without major design changes (improvements), are not the early years of particular "special cars" the most collectible as time goes by? For the record, I agree the bugs get worked out as the production rolls on, but older cars can be retrofitted.

1965 GT350 vs. 1970 GT350 comes to mind as an example

Or for foreign car enthusiasts

1974 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 vs. 1985 512bbi ?

Not trying to hijack your thread, just an interesting subject that it brings up.
    2000 Red over black

I'm not sure that the "Earlier" thing is true. All the examples you listed are different cars. Within one model it's usually the later ones with all the evolutions (bugs fixed) that seem to be the best.... Last Muira vs first run for example

But the Miura went thru MAJOR changes in the last year, not just getting the bugs out. New bodywork for more manly tires in rear and a separation of the transmission Sump and engine oil sumps......Big issues to me.

Well, Not trying to convince anyone. I just personally don't think the early Z8s were that flawed.
    2000 Red over black

Smile

It is by no means logical, but beyond the enhancements incorporated into the car over its production, one of my contributing factors for wanting a 2002 Z8 was because my first exposure to the BMW brand was in my uncle's 2002 ti. At first, I couldn't figure out why my uncle had traded in his Healy for this BMW coupe, but it was obvious once we were on the road darting through traffic.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Hey Marty, aside from "talking your position" (old Wall Street term) you own an Alpina right? Regarding early Z8's as being weaker via your words, "the later the car the better", I refute your words entirely. All early cars, aside from commanding the highest prices, of any make require considerable personal attention (tweaks) to set manufacturing techniques for later editions. Aside from requesting your certification (other than personal opinion) for such a irresponsible position on this fabulous site, I attach collector extraordinaire Mike Dingmans early Ford GT RM catologue entry regarding an early GT he has;

"While all of the GTs produced are designated 2005 and 2006 models, the first examples were delivered to their fortunate new owners in August 2004. The first Ford GT made available to any member of the general public was chassis number 10; this example was sold directly from the Ford Motor Company to its new owner at a charity auction, which took place in August of 2003, and was delivered the following year.

Other examples were offered to select clientele; it was considered such a privilege to be offered one of these early cars that part of the purchase agreement included a clause that the owner had to hold the car for at least 24 months, during which Ford had the right of first refusal to buy the car back. Chassis numbers 01 through 09 were reserved for ?internal use? by Ford, following a long tradition of those first examples being offered mainly to Ford family members and certain executives.".

Hi Jim,
    I meant no offense. I simply was stating what the people who are contacting me are asking for. They want later cars. Your points are well taken, but usually, with most collector cars, the last of a series tends to be the most sought after. For example, 1964 and 1965 356 Porsches over earlier regular 356's "speedsters, Carrera GT's, etc. exempted" 1971 280SE 3.5 cabriolets over earlier cars, 1971 280SL's over earlier cars, 1962 and 1963 300SL roadsters over earlier cars, etc. I use the Mercedes examples because I have traded extensively in these cars. Ultimately, it is the condition of the car and its history that are the most important factors, but all things being equal, later cars are more sought after and tend to go for more money.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

I don't believe Marty's preference for later production cars is tied to potential value. Nor is from being an Alpina owner, which his latest of three Z8s owned. Rather it's from demand from his current customers seeking cars - that and his 30+ years as a car broker. I know in my own search back in 2005, I would not consider a 2000 due to the changes in 2001, which were the largest mechanical change over the production run.

Right now with a car that's still relatively young, most buyers are looking for the lowest mileage that they can afford. As the car continues to age and become more collectible, the early models may prove to be the ones to have. However, today's Z8 and Alpina market is pretty clear - newer is preferred.

It seems like this thread is veering off track. We're all pretty open and free to discuss just about anything. However, Marty started this thread in an attempt to find cars for his customers. He's looking for a specific range. That's it. Debating value and potential is a fun topic, but it might be best to do it in a fresh thread that doesn't compromise Marty's original request.
    thegunguy

Actually four Z8's, but who is counting.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

It will be interesting to see what Dingman gets for his early Ford GT, the talk is $325-375g's!!! http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCar...arID=r154&fc=0

I think in the fullness of time some of the very early Z8's, especially those 18 US spec cars hand assembled at the M Division will be very sought after, but when it comes to wanting a car for general diving I'd look north of 60750 and given the choice I'd have one of the 130 or so 03 Z8's, as they had so many upgrades.

If you have a look in the Z8 Club's info section here you'll see a PDF with all the changes made during the production run which make the later cars far more desirable as drivers. However for a garage queen collection I'd get the car 60001 if I could!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Good info Andrew, thnx. Q; were the 18 M Div Cars also the "Press" and track/demo cars?
    js

Yes, they were cars 60001-60018, and were all in the press and DE fleet. Some of them turned up on EBay in the years past, and I know that Mobile Tradition as it was then known rebuilt 60014 in Germany, and offered it to us here, but they wanted a large sum of money, way beyond what the market was then for the cars, and it subsequently sold to a collector in Russia. One of the (60008?) is in the museum in Spartenberg but I'm not sure where the others are, but I think that 60014 was the only one that went back to Germany. I think all the others are still here, mostly sold through auction.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I also think its one thing when you're discussing vintage autos vs a modern production car- even one as special as the Z8. My observation is the first MY 2000 cars that came to the USA seemed to be better put together than the next batch through say mid 2001. That batch seems to have all the little headaches- the seat backs coming off, the dash etc. My car hasn't had any of that- but its had its share of little annoyances over time. Such is life. FWIW I was offered 135k on my car with ~29k and change about a year ago. You already know my answer. The guy asked what I want and I said its not for sale at any price. He asked again and I said I would consider a bonafide offer of $500k but the problem is only an insane person would make such an offer and then the offer couldn't be legally binding because he would lack the requisite mental capacity to make the offer binding. We had a good laugh.