Thread: California Z8 Hits the Hamptons - Thanks Marty

California Z8 Hits the Hamptons - Thanks Marty

Marty, Thanks again for all your hard work, I don't think I can say enough great things about you. This car looks far better than I ever imagined. I couldnt believe my eyes. I will send you the first beach shot with the top down..Its really perfect.

Thanks again, I will keep in touch.

Chris Burnside
    Sag Harbor, NY

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    What a beautiful car! Make sure to give my name and number to all of the gazillonaires who will want a Z8 as soon as they see your car. Cute kid too!!
    P.S. See if you can get it a starring role in next season's Royal Pains. I love that show.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8 Madness
    Nice car, congrats. The Alpina wheels keep looking better to me.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I was always a purist and felt the original 18's were fine. Not any more! The Z8 cries out for 20's and the Alpina wheels just work on the car IMHO.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Shiney! I will have to look you up this summer as I will take a few trips out east.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Congrats, so nice to see Mark's old car looking so beautiful and almost good as new again.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You'll fall in love with the car in your first drive, but wait until you take the hardtop off! The look and the feel of the car will blow you away all over again. Congratulations.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

This reminds me, again, what a great color combo black and sport red is!!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Beautiful

A beautiful car should always have a pretty young lady in the passenger seat. Lucky you. You have both.

Congrats.
    Pandaman

So have you been able to take it out yet for a nice drive? Bet it got a lot of attention. Even people who have no interest in cars are drawn to the Z8 and will stop to ask questions about it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Thanks for the congrats. I drove the car quickly to the Hanger 10 miles away. As soon as I hit the back roads, I knew why everyone loves this car. I was definately impressed. My garage construction starts in a few weeks, so for now it will reside next to a Cessna. I wasn't sure if I need to put the trickle charger on it or just start it weekly? I left the trunk cracked. I would love to do a mini Z8 trip around the Hamptons anytime if anyone makes the Journey. I will be in California next Winter for a wedding. I think there are about 10 Z8's running around.

Z8Mania
    Congratulations! What a beauty!

I love the Alpina wheels, they pick up on the steering wheel.

I recommend a trickle charger. In general, the demand on the battery when you start the car is large and it will take about 30-40 minutes of driving to make it back up-- or so Im told. Thus, just running it for 10 minutes probably won't produce a positive charge over time. Also I've been told with any modern car you are better off driving it rather than just letting it sit- and thats what Ive done for years without problems.

There are two trickle charge options- the deltran one that comes with the car and CTEK. My preference is the CTEK 7002 wired right to the battery. Its probably overkill for the Z8 but I like the 7002- it will keep the battery really nicely conditioned.

Congratulations !! Nice Z8 for sure.... is that the next Z8 Generation in the passenger seat ? She looks like she is saying "of course this is my car? But I don't understand why you won't let me drive!!
    Last edited by Z8doc; March 27th 2012 at 02:49. Reason: Fantastic....
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

BTW, What transport company did you use for the cross country shipping and where you happy? Were they reasonable price?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

It was sent with Intercity and they were very reasonable and on time. Careful too.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Car looks awesome..great colors...congrats!

I recommend the batterytender.com...just bought one..great little chargers
    Also they are sponsors American Le Man Series ( Porsche)
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Klaney View Post
    Car looks awesome..great colors...congrats!

I recommend the batterytender.com...just bought one..great little chargers
    Also they are sponsors American Le Man Series ( Porsche)
    Kevin
    I STRONGLY DO NOT recommend anything from batterytender.com or other Deltran products, including the BMW rebranded Deltran. They have very poor overcharge and surge protection circuitry. My original Deltran/BMW tender threw a pretty large arc, melting the cigarette connector when connecting it once, and after researching the issue, I found plenty of similar cases of damage from others using these little units, including computer damage. The lesson is these Battery Tender or Deltran brand tenders are super cheap, and they're not best of bread.

Yes, many owners have used the originally supplied Deltran and Battery Tender branded units without issue, and I don't want to come off suggesting that they're going to start a fire or something. However the Deltrans are really pretty entry level in terms of quality. We all spend a lot of time and money modding our cars with parts that are arguably well beyond most of our skills and suitability for on-road driving anyway, but yet we leave the electrical maintenance to the cheapest and most basic of units. For the value of our Z8s and assurance of storage, I'd look in to the CTEK suggested by Z8Mania or the Accumate Pro. You'll pay two to three times more, but for what you're protecting, isn't it worth it?

This is also why I went with a hard-wired connector exiting behind the rear license plate instead of the cigarette lighter nonsense.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I go straight into my battery using the CTek connector. I used the BMW supplied cigarette lighter tender for years without incident but when I looked into it, I found the same things as you did and I figured there had to be better alternatives.

Yeah, I don't mean to be too "soap boxy", but batteries and charging can easily lead to fires. Relying on the low-quality, afterthought Deltran just isn't the best protection.

I guess I'm sensitive to this issue, which is why I also ditched the heavy hydro-cell battery, and replaced it with a more maintenance free gel unit. I've also had improperly maintained batteries blow up on me in my youth. So, tend to err way on the side of caution.
    thegunguy

I still use use the Accumate That was recommended by Rifle years ago. Unfortunately, they no longer offer the Odyssey specific unit they used to.

It is a fantastic smart charging unit. I too think the Deltrans are not up to the task, I have thrown away BMW, Griots and Ford badged Deltrans due to their failure to maintain the battery.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

CTek advertises they supply battery chargers to many manufacturers including BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, etc. So if Deltran supplies them as well, how can you tell if the Charger from BMW you have is a Deltran or a CTek?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

The charger supplied with the Z8 and the M5 are Deltrans. All the BMW chargers that I've seen at parts counters have been Deltrans. By appearance, it's pretty obvious. The sad part is I think BMW charges $100 for their charger while you can get a Deltran on Amazon for half. Either way, investing in a better charger is wise.

I did find the CTek offered as an OEM BMW charger in the UK. So, maybe they use Deltran in the US only.

thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I still use use the Accumate That was recommended by Rifle years ago. Unfortunately, they no longer offer the Odyssey specific unit they used to.

It is a fantastic smart charging unit. I too think the Deltrans are not up to the task, I have thrown away BMW, Griots and Ford badged Deltrans due to their failure to maintain the battery.
    Interesting. I just looked at the Accumate site, and you're right it no longer has the toggle for gel cells. However, the specs state that it supports gel and flooded cells. So, maybe they've upgraded the unit so that it can detect and adjust the amps and algorithm. This is probably a good thing if you're using them with multiple cars with varied cells. I had another one for the Lotus (which I also installed a tiny Odyssey), and I had it set to flooded cell by mistake. It got angry.

What I don't see is they're grand-daddy model that had the ability to charge four cars from a single unit and hardwire in to your garage. Stuff like that gets me excited for building my dream garage one day!
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    You can tell because Deltran look like the above and Ctek look like this:

(my preference the heavy hitter 7002)

(the more typically used as an OEM charger, the 3300)

The differences between these two is the 7002 can output up to 7amps where as the 3300 can do a max of 3.3. The 7002 also has more battery conditioning modes (I think, going from rusty memory). I think the 3300 is probably more than fine for the Z8 but for a newer car (with more electronics) Id go with the 7002.

Does the 7A Ctek have a fan?
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Not that Im aware of- how come? I have several and they've never gotten really hot or anything. CTEK in their instructions says to never use an extension cord- I think its because theres a greater potential for sparks/ shorting out. I don't; I go straight to the wall.

I had a battery in a car go dead because the supplied OEM tender was crummy- the car actually drew more than the tender could provide! I used a CTEK 3300 and restored the battery in a day (it was the middle of winter, and also I was afraid to send a surge from jump starting it with another car, so I decided to see if the 3300 could work- its actually a MB branded 3300, but its a 3300 just the same- and it worked great! Then I found they made a more powerful model and that car, with its original battery, which is now 5 years old and never replaced, have been running just fine.

So far I have just driven the car at least 30 minutes no less often than every two weeks with no problems. But then I am still a new owner and in Texas the weather has not been bad very long lately.....tornadoes, smorenadoes, just look out for flying semi's.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    So, maybe they've upgraded the unit so that it can detect and adjust the amps and algorithm. This is probably a good thing if you're using them with multiple cars with varied cells.

I agree, I have not been able to find out if indeed this was done. I have three of them and when I bought my last, the dealer was unable to answer my question as to whether this was indeed the case. Luckily for me, they found one last toggle unit in their inventory which made the question moot as far as he was concerned. You know, sale made, who cares now.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Welcome to the gang, gorgeous car.
    Big tip: Listen to The Gun Guy,
    Agreed, Nix on Battery Tender by Deltran due to lack of surge/fuse protection which can be important especially if T-storm blows out a nearby transformer.

Another vote for the Ctek 7002. I had been using the original charger that came with my car and recently noticed it would take a long time to get to full charged mode after using the car. The Ctek charges must faster and from everything I've read about it, it is a better unit that the original BMW/Deltran unit.

p.s. Amazon has great pricing on these. The 7002 was $104 a few weeks ago.