Thread: Oklahoma 1st Spring Caffeine and Gasoline and St. Patty's Day Drive

Oklahoma 1st Spring Caffeine and Gasoline and St. Patty's Day Drive

For the past couple years, us BMW guys here in Tulsa have been steadily growing our own version of Cars and Coffee, called Caffeine and Gasoline. Originally, just a few iike minded BMW enthusiast (mostly 3 series guys and a Z8er) but slowly, we have been getting more enthusiasts involved. St. Patty's Day, we held our first gathering of the season and coupled that with the local Jaguar Club, who has planned a spring drive to the Grand Lake O' the Cherokees, the largest lake here in Oklahoma and the largest arch top dam in the USA, Pensacola Dam.

This dam was built in 1937-1940 and provided much needed electricity to the eastern half of Oklahoma, most of which at the time was without electricity. The hydroelectic dam has 6 generators, each of which spins at 150rpms and produces 23,500 horsepower and all total produces power to supply most of eastern Oklahoma, southeast Kansas, Northwest Arkansas and southwest Missouri -- all renewable energy. The dam created Grand Lake, which is 66 miles long and 2-3 miles wide in sections. The dam is 1.5 miles wide and is the largest arch top dam in the USA. At the dam, 150 ft deep. One Turbine, weighs 17 tons and originally was made of forged steel and is perfectly balanced. The original dam in 1937 cost just over $20 million USD. One of the original turbines (see picture) was replaced a few years ago, made of Stainless steel and cost a mear $25 million for just the one Turbine nearly 70 years later.

All in all, a great day and found some nice twisties in the rolling hills country south of the dam. I did not have a copilot to take photos of the drive, but twisty enough on unfamiliar roads to not do an "Andrew" ()

First picture below is a nice kit car but notice in the background what everyone is looking at .

Nice Jag Limo? Who collects one of those ?

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Great stuff!
    thegunguy

Great pix and report!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Awesome Jeff, looks like fun.

Looks like a fun group and nice ride. I am glad everybody resisted saying how that turbine would make a nice rim....oops!
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Interesting you thought that as I had a similar thought when listening to the Dam Guide talk about it and how based on it's design, it propels the water through the vents and wondered if that design would propel air and help make the car more efficient and faster?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I missed it as I was out of the loop. I need to get plugged in. Give me a heads up next time and I will bring the Alpina. Richard
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Hey Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by E92 M3 Owner View Post
    I missed it as I was out of the loop. I need to get plugged in. Give me a heads up next time and I will bring the Alpina. Richard
    Send me a PM with current email and local cell as I somehow have lost your contact info as I did think of you and I can get you added to the mailing list for the group.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Z8Mania
    Wow great write up. I love the local history. Really great- thanks for sharing Jeff.

Under useless party trivia, California has 840 miles of general shoreline. According to Wikipedia Grand Lake has 1,300 miles (2,100xxxxxkm) of shoreline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_L..._the_Cherokees
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Z8 Madness
    Mathematically speaking, all coast lines are infinitely long.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT