Thread: Eisenmann and Stop Tech Big Brake Kit Upgrades

Z8 Novice

Eisenmann and Stop Tech Big Brake Kit Upgrades

Hello everyone,

I recently registered to the forum and I have been glued for the last three months. I am impressed with the amount of information and support. Thank you!!

I have a Topaz/Black 2003 that my father handed down to take care of for his 7 month grandson. The great part is that I get to drive until my son is old enough.

I need advice and have been looking into doing the following upgrades:
    1. Eisenmann Race
    2. Stop Tech big brake kit - (Current calipers look rusty)

I am concerned about decreasing the value of the car by making these changes. I also want to make sure that the race are not to loud that I will drive neighbors crazy. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Unless you're doing something crazy, I haven't seen any data suggesting mods detract from value on the Z8. In fact, some are actually preferred. Sure, there are some that prefer a bone stock car, but if you plan on driving, you're not going to appeal to this buyer anyway. The smart thing is just plan on storing all of your original parts.

Eisenmann Race - just do it. They're great, and you could easily return to stock if needed.

If you're going to take the trouble to do the brakes, I'd go with Brembos. Unless something has changed, the Stoptechs are only for the fronts. This really isn't issue as even the stock brakes are fine for 99% of applications, but I just prefer the idea of having a matched set all corners. The problem with the Brembos is they don't fit in the OE wheel. So, it get's expensive fast, requiring new wheels and tires.

You can always just pull the calipers and have them blasted and repainted.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Welcome and congratulations!

Loud is a subjective term. My opinion is the race exhaust is not too loud at all and I like how the car sounds. Several friends have commented that it makes the car sound more like a very refined American muscle car V8 at the lower RPMs, though I don't think its got that down low burble that those American engines exhibit.

In so far as affecting value, both of these mods are easily reversible. I don't think it would affect the value unless your car is a low mile garage queen.

If I may make some suggestions:

It looks like you have the run flat tires. I would change those off asap- aside from not being that good a drive, they are so stiff that they can contribute to possibly hurting the structure of the car if you hit too hard a bump (yes- eek!). I would put on regular tires such as Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

To that end, if you don't have the performance package installed, I would seriously consider it. Again, if your car is truly a garage queen and you want to keep it as it left the factory then I would at least acquire the parts, you don't have to install it but you might as well have the parts. I'm guessing you saw the frame forum. If you haven't, have a look: http://bmwz8.us/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Welcome!

AP Racing in the UK makes a set of brakes that you can use on the Z8 with the stock wheels, but as yet I don't know anyone who has fitted them.

http://www.apracing.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=2722
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I agree on the Brembo brakes. But I believe they don't fit under the standard 18" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I agree on the Brembo brakes. But I believe they don't fit under the standard 18" wheels.
    Correct. I have them and had to go to 19"
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8 Novice
    Thank you very much for your help. I have ordered the race Eisenmann. I am still undecided on what to do about the big brake kit since I want to keep the original 18" rims.

Just repaint the calipers. That's my vote.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Agreed- and its the least expensive. The stock wheels hide the calipers pretty well.

I still consider myself one of the recent buyers and just had 3 things done, performance package (i would be afraid to drive without it), cdv removal (cheap and it will improve clutch life, if not driveability), and Michelin PS2's (some still have the run flats, but I wanted the extra margin of safety for the frame). I have seen others that had the stock brakes powder coated and they look great. I just had no caliper rust. The disc rust usually wears off when you drive (or I should say, stop).
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    Thats right. The disc rust/ oxidation/ whatever it is/ it happens after you wash it also/ should be scrubbed off by the brake pad when you are stopping. The rust on the caliper is a different story, as is the fact that the caliper is just kind of ugly. But the stock wheels pretty much hide the caliper. So if it were repainted, it really would become invisible.

Welcome Carlitos,

Quote Originally Posted by Charlitos 0099 View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. I have ordered the race Eisenmann. I am still undecided on what to do about the big brake kit since I want to keep the original 18" rims.
    I would consider the Dinan brake kit. The calipers are 6 piston and manufactured by Brembo for Dinan and the rears are 4 piston. Can upgrade the disc to a performance rotor and still keep your 18 inch wheel.

Happy Z8ing.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    Great suggestion.

Oh, one more thing, if you hate brake dust, the Brembo pads are similar to the OEM bMW and put out a ridiculous amount of dust. Therefore. I would suggest the Centic Posi-Quiet performance pad. They work as well and put out very very little dust and you wod probably spend $400 total on all corners. Centric also has performance rotors which are drilled and slotted and come in the OEM size and look good. You can get them at www.zeckhausenracing.com. Ask for Dave Zeckhausen. He has helped many Z8 owners .
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Great thoughts on the Dinan/Brembo option. I need to look at these myself. Even with 19", I might like the more compact setup.

For the OP, I still suggest just painting the calipers unless you're just wanting to upgrade something and the rust on the stock calipers is the justification you need get approval from the "financial committee".
    thegunguy

Caliper Paint

What paint would you use to paint the calipers? Brand etc.

Also, would you remove them from the mount or leave them mounted and mask everything off?

Thanks,

Andy
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

Definitely remove the calipers. You'll have to remove the rust and existing finish, and I can't imagine you being able to mask well enough to protect the rotor and everything else from overspray.

I don't have any specific recommendations on paint, but I'd look to any of the standard names 3M, PPG, etc. I've seen caliper paint in the corner parts shop, but those products seem a little too one-simple-step for reality. You'll need to remove any rust and the exiting finish, probably rinse/bathe with a solvent to get rid of any remaining residue and brake dust, then prime (maybe), and apply the high-temp color coat. A proper finish may even require some baking. Just guessing, but I'm assuming it's high-temp enamel.

If it were me, I'd take the calipers to a reputable paint shop and have them do it. I'd guess you could have a set done right for a couple hundred dollars.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Great thoughts on the Dinan/Brembo option. I need to look at these myself. Even with 19", I might like the more compact setup.
    Just noticed this thread and thought I should clarify the Dinan by Brembo situation: I have the Dinan by Brembo kit and they are the same as the regular Brembo kit with two exceptions:

1) The have "Dinan by Brembo" logos painted on the side instead of "Brembo"
    2) The pads are drilled to fit the BMW pad sensor

You need 19" wheels for the Dinana kit just like with the regular Brembo kits.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete