Thread: Poor seat belt tension

Poor seat belt tension

Recently I have noticed that the tensioner that reels up the seat belts has become noticably weaker. It reels up fine if I help feed the belt back into the slot, but I worry that a passenger or I will forget and slam the door with the metal part of the buckle in the door jamb.

Anyone else experienced this or know how to access the tensioners? Car has about 17k miles now.

Tyler
    '01 Titanium

Caution!
    Observe safety regulations for handling airbag modules and pyrotechnical seat belt tensioners,
    refer to MG 72.
    Inexpert handling can trigger off the airbag or the belt tensioner and thus cause injury.
    Remove and install left or right front seat,
    52 10 000.
    Remove and install rear left or right side trim panel, 51 43 015.
    Remove and install rear side panel.
    Seat Belts
    http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/06/72

Trim Panels
    http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/06/11

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    The problem you describe is very normal on most Z8's. Most cars have damage mostly in the driver's door jamb from the seat belt buckle being caught while closing the door. Personally I would just help feed it back and leave it at that.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Normal: I have never caught or closed my belt in the door, but have always had "slow" tensioners... just feed it carefully. It is easy to get a turn or twist in it too.

Same here. They're a bit slow, and my passenger side has a twist that I've yet to fix.
    thegunguy

Replaced VIN plate sticker

Mine has the same problem and unfortunately the previous owner got it caught enough times to damage the VIN plate - requiring replacement.
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

Z8 Novice
    If you spray some "Pleage" on the seat belt itself on both sides. It may help. The wax in Pleage will help lubicate the seat belt reel. I also use spray silcone also. Of coarse clean the belt off afterwards. This is what I use in the shop.

Does the lemon or orange scent work better?
    thegunguy