Thread: Well, finally got around to......

Well, finally got around to......

taking some photos of my wife's new car, well, she got it a year ago in February and has driven a whopping 6000 miles in the past year !!

Story is the X5 she was driving was getting high milage in excess of 120K but good shape, the 1988 M6 although low for age, is getting higher too and my Z8, well, at 56K an holding and only special miles now.

The above coupled with Cindy's love for speed (you guys remember Thunderhill right?), anyway, she kept talking about needing something fast and convertible for herself.
    December 2010 I ordered her a MineralWiess 2011 M3 with extended leather package and 19" wheels with the F1 transmission. Then enlisted the help of our friend Bill Stuart at BMW NA who got her a MineralWiess Convertible M3 model for her Christmas stocking and she was needless to say overwhelmed. But, just have not gotten around to some pictures and today was a very the first warm weather day here in OK so, cleaned it up and took some photos. In some shots, looks silver, others white. Very cool color but the mid-day sun just does not do it justice.

Enjoy ---

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

That's super cool, love it!!! :-))
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

That's great Jeff.. looks really nice. If not the Z8 that much, what is your dd?

Great stuff!
    thegunguy

...If not the Z8 that much, what is your dd?
    The daily is Cindy's hand-me-down X5.... 140k miles now and keeps on going. It is 10 years old too but when it is a well maintained original owner and running and in good shape and never been wrecked, I did not see any reason to get rid of it and just let it be the daily work horse. Certainly pretty comfortable to drive on a every day basis.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Z8Mania
    VERY VERY NICE!! Congratulations to your wife. Does she ever let you drive? What do you think? I think the noise from that V8 motor is really wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    VERY VERY NICE!!
    Does she ever let you drive? What do you think? I think the noise from that V8 motor is really wonderful.
    Cindy says thanks to everyone for the nice words.

And, NO.... she did NOT let me drive it for about 9 months !!! Yes, the V8 is great but it really needs a better exhaust note. There is a good YouTube video that compares 5 different brands on the e93 M3 (OEM, Eisenmann Sport and Race, Dinan, AA Exhaust, Miestershaft GT2 and Gitani). For Cindy, she likes the Eisenmann Race -- which is what I have on the Z8.

It is a great comparison and to give her a good realistic idea on the exhaust note, I found the YouTube video above, loaded it up on my Apple TV and then played it through the Home Theater (Pioneer Elite with Bose Acoustimass 7 Surround sound) so it sounded pretty great (and LOUD). To quote Andrew, Cindy thought the Meistershaft GT2 was "too hooligan" for her ears even though I liked it, so.. Got the Eisenmann Race on order.

As far as what I think.... great car but and the F1 Double Clutch is great and shifts so smooth and ridiculously quick but somehow, seems to lack the seat of the pants feel I like in the Z8. Certainly, the paddle shifting is great in twisty areas but in the flat areas (most of Oklahoma), it kind of disengaging from a driving perspective. Overall though, I give it a Double .
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Z8 Madness
    Such a nice car. Enjoy!
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I test drove a manual M3 about a year ago... nice car, but as you said, too isolated from the driving experience. Incredibly capable, but just too smooth and refined for me as a sports car. Even with the stick. And, I think the lower torque diminishes the "seat of the pants" effect. As a DD, it would be awesome, as long as I had a more visceral car in the stable. I drive my Mercedes GL SUV almost every day, and I love it, but I don't expect it to be visceral or sporty, just reliable and comfortable. It's all about your expectations. I expect the M3 to be more raw (after all we see it being raced and promoted as a badass machine) and when it's not... Just a great, handsome, modern, fast, refined, luxury sedan with a very sporty character, but it sir, is no Z8.

Z8Mania
    What a great car. Enjoy it. FWIW, I really like the stock exhaust note and I agree the DKG is too good.

Maybe no Z8, but the few M3's I have driven have been easy to drive and fun to toss around. They were instantly familiar, understandable and fast. Cindy is lucky to have one.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    So well said.

That's some serious styling!!
    You know, we are very lucky to have wives that "play along" with our craziness. Most of my friends' wives just look at us with that puzzle expression when it comes to cars. Kudos to Cindy.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Absolutely, so true!