Thread: Beware the inner edge of your rear tire....

Beware the inner edge of your rear tire....

if like me you've slightly increased your negative camber for maximum cornering grip.

The whole face of my tire is evenly worn, and I thought I had at least 500 miles, or a couple of weekend drives left in it, but while fitting the Club's rear bumper 'sealer' at BimmerClinic today we noticed that the very inner wall of the tire was showing some signs of being worn to the thread!

I'll post some pix when I go back to fit the new rears later in the week, but it very easy to miss the wear there unless the car is up on a jack, as it is actually not on the static contact patch, but slightly further in and above.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Been there done that, but not in the Z8, in the GT3... at the track! Pics please.

Z8Mania
    Thanks for the heads up Andrew. I'll be sure to check.

Subscribing for pics
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Andrew Macpherson

I made the same discovery when I was preparing our car for the ALPINA Day and Track event 2 or 3 years ago. I thought I had plenty of wear left on the tires to make it to the SF area before they needed to be changed, but when I jacked it up to check some things, there were threads showing on the inside edge of the right rear tire. The left wasn't as bad, but not good enough to make the trip. I wouldn't have wanted to count on it for that trip. The fronts weren't so bad. I ended up changing all 4 anyway since the ALPINA event included a track day at Infineon. In retrospect, I'm very glad I changed them for the trip.
    BTW - my ALPINA is bone stock so I don't have any camber kits or anything installed. One note, it's very hard to see this without removing the tire or laying down on the ground to check it with a flashlight. Start with the right rear first because that tire suffers "camber" wear more than the others. It'll give you a good indicator on your tire status. My Z3 exhibits the same characteristics. It's due to the camber and axel/diff architecture...nothing you can do about it except just keeping a sharp eye on it. If in doubt, check it out first.

Hey Mac, did that inner wear have anything to do with the rubbing on the inner aspect when the suspension bottoms out on those tight turns? Just curious.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Indirectly yes, but no, that isn't where the rub was, that was on the outside of the rear quarter panel where there's a bulge that holds the screw connecting the rear quarter panel to the rear bumper.

However I increased my negative camber from the usual setting of around -1? to a more track like -1.75? which cured the rubbing on the outside, but with extended straight line/freeway driving beat up the inner edges. If I stuck to twisty mountain and back road driving I think it may have been ok, but over the last 4-5k I've done maybe 1500 miles of straightish freeway-open road driving, so that's what I think did it. When I get a chance I'll scale back to around -1.25? and see how that works for this next set.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Oh wow, hard to spot that unless you get under the car or if the car is on the hoist, did these cars come from factory with this aggressive camber?

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

The stock camber set up is not "Aggressive", but if you dial in a bit more neg. as Andrew did, heck, even if you don't, the insides will wear before the outer. These rear tires are very wide, and it's not always easy to see when the inside is getting worn too low. So just keep an eye out now and then!

Z8Mania
    True. And thats a good thing to do with any car- good to check your tires.