Thread: Can you recommend?......

Can you recommend?......

The only mods I?ve done to my car consist of removing the CDV & fitting an audio insert jack to plug in my Mp3 player!

It?s about time I got round to making some improvements. I?ve looked at lots of features on this site & I still can?t make my mind up!

I would love to upgrade various bits, but what are the best sensible options, bearing in mind I?m not thinking of going for the ultimate upgrades, just something that will give improvements to both performance & looks at a realistic cost!

So??. What would you guys recommend? I don?t do track days (very often) but I do like to drive ?enthusiastically?!

Breaks The stock breaks look drab

Wheels Good looking 19? perhaps

Tyres An alternative to the expensive run flats!

Exhaust Something to improve the note.

Suspension Is it really worth replacing the stock gear & can it be lowered?

Any thoughts or links would be really appreciated.

Colin
    Last edited by Z8Cookie; August 11th 2005 at 14:59. Reason: Correction

In order of importance.......

1.) Tires: go for the Bridgestone S03's, they are by far the best tires I've tried on the car.

2.) (maybe at the same time) Dinan sway bar upgrade, these will really help eliminate the massive understeer that BMW build into the stock set up.

3.) (also maybe at the same time) Fit the Dinan suspension upgrade with the camber plates. This will give you more sporting suspension, and allow you to dial in the -1.5? all round that is the best for spirited back road and track driving.

4.) Fit the Eisenmann Race exhaust, it is a cat back muffler replacement set that transforms the acoustics perfectly.

5.) Wheels.

6.) Breaks, as none of the aftermarket ones available will fit with the stock wheels.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks for that, Macfly, do you know of a good Dinan dealer in the UK?

And,
    none of the aftermarket ones available will fit with the stock wheels.
    Not even the Brembos? I thought I had seen photos of upgraded discs & calipers on the stock wheels.

Colin.

P.S. Just found this in the gallery
    Last edited by Z8Cookie; August 11th 2005 at 16:29. Reason: Found Photo

That is the StopTech brake, not the Brembo.

and is from a set of images showing the full StopTech kit on my first car back in spring '02. Unfortunately they suffered from very bad pad knock-back issues, which StopTech did everything to eliminate. After trying 3 completely different caliper sets they hired a track for a day, and we went out there with every imaginable combo of brake parts. Unlike the floating caliper of the Brembo system they used a solid disc and fixed caliper, so any movement within the axle resulted in pad knock-back. On my car you'd put your foot on the pedal after a set of corners and it would go right to the floor, requiring a quick second 'pump' to bring the brakes back.

I was blown away by StopTech's dedication to their product, they spent so much time, effort and resources trying to identify the issue and fix it. As I mentioned we tracked the issue down to a slight amount lateral movement in the rear axel. We even discovered that BMW had beefed up the bearing set during the second year of production, but kept the same part number. (my car was a '00 model.). Sadly that car was involved in an accident that wrote it off before we could change out the rear bearings to see if that would finally fix the problem.

However StopTech did continue to test the system on another car, and found the same problem, so they withdrew the rear system from the market as they felt it wasn't a good match for the car's axle design. The fronts are still available, see this page for them, and some other really great info on Z8 brakes.

For Dinan I'd suggest to contact them directly, as the exchange rate is so in your favor you should just buy direct.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew,

Great links & info as always.

Colin

Sport Button On

Z8Cookie........

I've also have placed the eisenhaus "race" exhaust and it is great. I replaced them myself and it is easy to do if your comfortable with that kind of thing. You won't even need the MP3 player anymore. If you decide to do it yourself let me know and I can work you through it. Jonny

Thanks Jonny,

I Might just take you up on that!

Regards,

Colin

Andrew Wrote
    my car was involved in an accident that wrote it off
    What ever happened to that car by the way, Andrew?

So, only 5,700 left now!

Colin

I sold it to a dealer who specialized in breaking up exotics....

so it is no more, as far as I know anyway!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    All the mods I've done I'm very happy with (due to all the help from other pioneers on this and the roadfly board), but the CDV, the tires, the exhaust, short shift kit, Quaife, suspension, and finally the engine would be my opinion of the cost/benefit equation. I really disliked the stock differential. Pedals are bling. Stock brakes are ugly but work great for me, and if you don't change the wheels are pretty hidden.

Dinan S2 engine, Dinan S3 suspension, Quaife 3.64, UUC short shift kit, Eisenmann exhaust, Bridgestone SO3's, CDV removed, ACS alu pedal set, wiper arms removed for clear view of beautiful hood (crazy I know, but they are in the trunk and can be popped on in 2 minutes if need be).

Hi Rick,

Nice!

I?m tempted by the Dinan S3 suspension & Eisenmann exhaust from what you guys say, and I will be changing to the Bridgestone SO3?s. The Dinan S2 engine might have to wait!

By the way, what is a Quaife 3.64?

Regards,

Colin
    Last edited by Z8Cookie; August 17th 2005 at 13:18. Reason: Speelling Mistook!

DSC Off
    Quaife is a limited slip differential (stock diff is open and you can spin just one wheel endlessly), 3.64 is the gear ratio vs the stock 3.38 ratio. Search on roadfly or this board for lots of info on the Quaife. Availability has gotten tough recently. Changing tires away from run flats improves the ride alot when putting on the stiffer S3 suspension. The Race exhaust is awesome.