Thread: A 4.6 million dollar alloy 300SL gullwing!

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

A 4.6 million dollar alloy 300SL gullwing!

http://www.goodingco.com/car/1955-me...alloy-gullwing

This car just sold at auction for $4,200,000 plus buyer's premium!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Wowza, stunning car and price!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I'm sorry but that's too much. It's a great car but this is a data point that says the collector market has moved too high. It's quite a car that most want in a collection but personally I'd rather have a roadster. It doesn't get as hot inside and it's rear suspension is more resolved which makes it a better drive. But that is quite a rare bird. Thanks for keeping us updated with the latest and greatest in the collector market Marty.

Barrett Jackson will have a two owner 1954 steel bodied 300SL gullwing with 4,000 documented original miles going on the auction block later today. The Blackhawk Museum bought it from the widow of the original owner in Los Angeles in the mid 80's. I originally predicted 1.2 million. With last night's 4.6 million dollar sale of the alloy bodied car I now predict 1.5 million but wouldn't be surprised to see it go for 1.75 million or more. I guarantee there is now a huge buzz around the car. Stay tuned!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Please do keep us posted!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The steel bodied 4,000 mile gullwing just sold for $2,000,000 plus buyer's premium so $2,200,000!!!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    IMHO the collector market is out of control now.

How about a 1948 Tucker? It sold for $2,650,000 plus buyer's premium so $2,915,000!!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    I don't follow those but I take it thats as dear as this level of pricing....

Z8 Madness
    Not the way I would spend my money, if I ever end up having that kind of money.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I think its easy to say if its not even in the realm of possibility for any of us but if we were ever so fortunate then I think things become different.

Z8 Madness
    Sure thing. I have a 1000x anual income rule. Anything under 1/1000th of my anual income, I would buy without thinking about it. Beyond that, I better have a good reason to have it
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    So that means a Z8 would require your income to be approx ~120,000,000?!! (pre or post taxes?) Or are you saying so long as you have a good reason - such as its pretty and it drives nicely? My rule of thumb is I don't want more than 3% of my net worth in toys.

Z8 Madness
    Logic is not applicable to Z8

I like your rule. My rule had to do with "not having to think" to buy something. Sadly, with my salary, just about any purchase needs justification.
    62050 - Z8

I was thinking net worth too... but is a "Collector car" a toy or an investment. If the dollar goes seriously south, at least you can sell it to some sheik in the dessert etc. So, will an internationally tradable commodity (asset) fare better than dollars, real estate or stock in the event of an "event"? Is the collector market so hot right now because bank interest is 0% and suspect, and the stocks are scary too?

Ian, you are 100% correct. People see certain cars as blue chip investments, way better that dollars in the bank at .5% interest, not even keeping up with inflation.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

The difference between investing in stocks and cars.... if you decide to cash in your life, you can hop in one of your cars and drive it off a cliff.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    The difference between investing in stocks and cars.... if you decide to cash in your life, you can hop in one of your cars and drive it off a cliff.
    If you are really that desperate, just jump, and don't waste a car.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8Mania
    IMHO- cars are cars. I think the collector car market has seriously appreciated quickly over the past few years. You can look at it like an investment like artwork- but I have the same opinion with artwork. Certainly you can make money with it, but for me, its the object I appreciate. The experience of looking, touching, smelling, and yes DRIVING. The history the marques, meeting the people etc. You don't get that with a share of IBM. But you don't have expensive maintenance with a share of IBM either- you get a dividend instead . Of course you can't drive your stock portfolio. In terms of protecting against the dollar- if it gets that bad- I doubt you'll be able to even find a boat sailing- the world will be over. The best oh crap investments I can think of are food, water, guns, ammo, one hell of a touch 4wd vehicle with a extra wheels and tires.

So heres the beauty of the Z8- it gives you a lot of what a vintage car does:

1- storied marque, motorsport mechanicals
    2- gorgeous looks
    3- really nice driving (frankly drives better than most vintage cars!)
    4- modern goodness (relatively speaking nowadays)
    5- not high TLC costs by comparison.

I looked at F40s about a year ago- I passed on them all- it seemed to me that no matter what one had to be prepared to put 6 figures into any car that one might find. So in essence you've got 100k of "depreciation" right off the bat...

Z8Mania
    I think the collector market is so hot because the super wealthy are bored- they realize the world isn't ending- but nothing else is doing it for them- so there are a few who are buying up all the cars like they are diamonds. They already have multiple residences, now its time for vintage cars. Im waiting for this to come down, but who knows, it could last 20 years- though I doubt it will.